It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion delays Mumbai-Bangalore IPL match

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Explosion delays Mumbai-Bangalore IPL match

cricket.rediff.com

The start of the Indian Premier League [ Images ] match between Mumbai Indians [ Images ] and Royal Challengers [ Images ] Bangalore was delayed following explosions outside the Chinnaswamy Stadium on Saturday.

Apparently explosive hidden inside a bag caused the blasts outside Gate No.12.

There has been no confirmation as yet though the police sources said they suspect it might not been an accident that was believed to be the case earlier.

Eight people, including three policemen, have been injured in the blast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.onenewspage.com
timesofindia.indiatimes.com
www.news24.com
www.thearynews.com

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This isn't good. The IPL is so important to the Indian people and economy. Who is targeting this event? Taliban inspired groups, Al-Qaeda affiliates, Indian insurgents, a Pakistani operation?

The two teams have decided to go ahead with the game. A good idea? Kevin Pietersen plays for Bangalore and what about the thousands of fans?

Very risky.

cricket.rediff.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I'm not sure I'd want to be playing after a bomb went off, particularly if I were a overseas player with either of those IPL franchises...

Goes to show how risky the security situation is in India...The Commonwealth Games should have been moved from Delhi ages ago IMO for this very reason...

If I were an Australian athlete, there's no way I'd be going to Delhi in October...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

I agree. Pretty crazy to carry on with the game. There must be a lot of financial and political pressure to continue though.

An update.

Two bombs went off at the gates of Bangalore's Chinnaswamy Stadium this afternoon, ahead of the Royal Challengers-Mumbai Indians IPL match that was scheduled at the venue today. Accordiing to television reports, eight people, including three policemen were injured when the bombs, which were hidden in a plastic bag and placed adjacent to a wall, went off. There are conflicting reports about the exact timing of the blasts.

At the time of filing this report, no deaths were reported. The injured were immediately rushed to hospital, fire brigade officials said, adding the cause of the blast was being ascertained. The explosion triggered panic as it came just before the start of the IPL match between Royal Challengers, Bangalore and Mumbai Indians.

www.business-standard.com...

Does not appear to have been the biggest of bombs, still it casued several injuries. Just a warning or a botched explosion?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Just watching the game on ITV4. No mention of the bomb and the atmosphere seems ok, not too tense or anything, i just hope there is nothing else planted and the security services are all over the stadium.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Game hasn't started on TV here yet, on delay due to footy coverage...

On topic tho...As you said in your post, there's a ton of financial pressure on the participants to "go on with the show", so to speak...

That's really all Modi and the BCCI are interested in...They have absolutely no interest in the long term welfare of the game...

Regardless of how much India might contribute financially to world cricket, giving them a whole lot of the control of the world game they now have was a huge mistake as far as the welfare of cricket goes in the long term...

As a result of the control the BCCI has over world cricket, we won't recognise the game in 20 years...It will have been dumbed down to the level of other spectator sports and that's sad, IMO...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I can almost understand moving forward with the game -- almost. If the bomb was terror-related, cancelling it would mean the terrorists win and a much-needed revenue maker is lost.

Plus, it may be a fairly safe gamble, but a gamble with human lives nonetheless. I'm saying "fairly safe" since generally, terror bombs are usually detonated simultaneously and not in intervals spread over a day in the same location. Once a bomb went off, the place would be shut-down and everyone would be screened or re-screened, making it very difficult to hide a bomb intended to not go off for another few hours.

It's not a risk that I would take with my own life mind you.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm watching it at the moment and I noticed that those who were presenting it, didn't directly state the nature of the explosion.

I love the IPL but I do think that the match should have been stopped...it's not even important to be honest, however they could be losing their money.

To be honest, I don't think that the spectators would care...some of them probably have bigger threats and maybe..they weren't informed?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There was another bomb.

Bangalore, Apr 17: As per the latest inputs the bomb that was found at the Gate 8 of Chinnaswamy Stadium was supposed to to go off at 8 pm, the time when the IPL match was to end. The bomb has been diffused. The spectators of the IPL match were the targets.

news.oneindia.in...

That is a proper nasty terrorist group at work there. I just hope it isn't linked back to the Pakistanis.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

According to this article from AP, a group named Ilyas Kashmiri has threatened to attack sporting events in India recently, tho no responsibility appears to have been claimed by any group for this attack so far...

top topics

join