It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Now this is not new, but the Nephlim of Easter Island fame are said to stop by about every 300,000 years or so. They also say 2012 is about the time we can expect to see them again.

I am not 100% certain of this, but I am preparing for that and other issues we will likely have to face in the near future. At this point, the information is so skewed, I have to consider all options.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
would this not have happened hundreds or thousands of years ago if we are just seeing this now, or am I completely off the mark with this understanding?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xadaz

yep your right, about 13 million light years ago actually so along time ago.

this whole thread has become kinda pointless now. Remember even stargazing we are all looking into the past. Same for radio waves. I hope people are not still going on about the 4x lightspeed stuff. The OP totally left out the main point of the article. It was never 4 x lightspeed, it appeared super luminous due to the angle of view etcetc, read the article properly all. It was a fraction of lightspeed!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Actually you are misreading what the article says.

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.

The article clearly states that its apparent sideways veloctity is 4 times the speed of light.

The article then goes on to note that "superluminal" motion as been seen before, but the article does not claim that what ever is sending this signal is "superliminal". The only point is that this faster than the speed of light phenomenon has been seen before. The reality is that they don't know what speed it is moving at, only that it appears to be moving faster than the velocity of light.

There is more evidence out there that faster than light speed is achievable.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
When you said "faster than the speed of light" I knew everything before and after was a lie or something you had no idea about (there the possibility its BOTH). It's hard to wrap your head around sometimes but currently our scientific understanding has shown conclusively, time and again NOTHING goes faster than light, including light shot out of something going almost the speed of light. With that in the post we know nothing else needs to be considered.
Do you folks believe ANYTHING posted on the internet is real? I mean come on.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TrevorALan

I think you don't know nearly as much as you think you know.

www.santiagosr.com...

Upheavals in Physics: The Speed of Light Exceeded (Chuck Missler)

Some scientists now claim they have broken the ultimate speed barrier: the speed of light.

Particle physicists at the NEC Research Institute at Princeton apparently have indicated that light pulses can be accelerated to up to 300 times their normal velocity of 186,282 miles per second.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Here is a theory. Moving faster than the speed of light is possible. The speed of light is assumed to be a constant. By which we measure many things. However it is a theory not necessarily a fact. We cannot disprove it GIVEN OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE LAWS OF PHYSICS AS WE KNOW THEM. The earth is flat - oh no wait, the universe revolves around the earth - oh no wait, there is no life on other planets - oh no wait there may be bacteria, there is no water on the moon - oh no wait. So its only relative to our current understanding of speed. Remember the light is only used as a constant because its speed is (according to our current knowledge) constant. But we can slow it down, split it, trap it and focus it. Until someone did it, it was impossible. So I wont pin my hopes on it being NOT POSSIBLE just yet. With regard to the sound being constant instead of peaking and dropping off, I would say ok. Unless its moving toward us, facing at us using a dish of some sort. Then I think he signal would remain constant. As for it moving position away from the blast, I would say this. If our world blew up, we would move away from it too, under our own steam or through force of blast. What we should do is see where it goes. Because if we were able to get away in time, we would try and go where we knew we had the best chance of survival. Like any living thing. If it is intelligent life and not some astral new event we have never seen before - where it ends up will be in its terms, the next best thing to home it can find. Or maybe, where lots of other are. If its a astral event we have never seen before - I would suggest the blast is moving it away, the signal could just be on a time scale we have not seen before. So we will have our usual peak, the fading off, but spread over a larger time scale than usual. And what could cause a delay, something with great mass able to distort the normal rules, like something we have not yet seen, like another black hole. Just a thought. Oh if its intelligent, maybe its moving toward us, but not to where we are but where we are going to be as we move through space.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The arguments I am hearing against this faster than light travel are all very well, but none of them take into account the fact that in just the last half a decade, humanity has tied light in knots, slowed it down, and teleported particles from point A to point B without those particles interacting with the intervening space between those points. Theres plenty of good research out there regarding space bending physics, and even Steven Hawking (who tends to have some considerable insight into physics) has spoken about and done some interesting studies into the sort of drive that would be required for FTL travel. I think he came up with an idea based on a captured black hole and some other madness I couldnt comprehend. In either case, its not right, or particularly clever to poo poo the idea of FTL travel , especialy since very learned men are currently setting about the task of slipping round the problem by bending the universe .

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormwind™

Yeah, I kind of look at it along those grounds. Bohm had some pretty amazing concepts, the world as a hologram, distance as an illusion, and all that that I think is worth checking out. I find it hard to believe that the speed of light is an unbreakable barrier, or the acceleration of the speed of light, or that it is a constant. As humans we all know so little about the mysteries of the big world out there.

Chances are it is more likely something spurting out from some huge and powerful explosion, and has been inert for a very long time now.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Wow very intresting. They say the objects moving four times the speed of light..............I thought nothing could travel faster than the speed of light

How many light years away is galaxy M82?

Well, technically, nothing can travel at the speed of light - that whole bit with time extending to eternity and mass increasing to infinite.

I don't think that necessarily precludes traveling faster than light, though obviously it'd be kinda tricky to get there....

On the other hand, not to get all Star Trek-y, but it seems to me that if you could warp the space around and in front of you, pull it in and release it behind you faster than you could physically cover the distance, you'd be going faster than light, though it'd actually be the space-time continuum that'd be moving, not you...

There's that Alcubierre guy and his ideas... and some physicist in Rio (I think) had this idea that light speed might not necessarily be a constant in all space; like, in interstellar space it might be different for reasons I can't recall.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Radio waves ARE (supposed to be) light waves, i.e., electromagnetic low frequency waves but below the visible spetrum. Trouble is, and I always get beat up saying this, Einstein was full of it, c is NOT constant, it is NOT the speed limit of the universe. The velocity of light follows the normal v+c model, frequency is also velocity dependent, Doppler shift is also velocity dependent, the universe is NOT expanding, intergalactic redshift is NOT due to recession velocity (Doppler or Big Bang, which there never was). ALL of the inferences physicists have made based on Einstein's spacetime are nonsense. Go back to Newton, add in a clock speed variable for gravitational potential, and bang, that's all that's required to account for all known data whether faked (which a lot of it has been) or real. Study hard, and you'll figure that all out. foossolvesunified.com...

reply to post by Korg Trinity

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

I thought that was pretty simple actually?? Wait till youlearn about inverse spin ratio published yesterday.

HADES

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I am an aerospace engineer at the University of Texas so I am familiar with this subject. True: we are not sure what it is.
False: It is traveling faster then light. This is not possible.
It only appears to be traveling faster then light because of the doppler effect. Same thing happens to quasar jets. look it up.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This thing sounds very interesting. I hope more phenomenon can like it can be found.

By the way, I don't think people should dismiss out of hand the idea that its apparent sideways superluminal velocity is an illusion.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I'm rather doubting that they have much that can be "Heard" as in our audio range. It would be a 'Miracle' to actually be on the same 'Frequency' to begin with & what type of 'Modulation' for example would 'We be Receiving / Detecting / Searching With' at the Exact Time when first discovered??? In other words, it would be like using a "C.B." radio operating in the 27 Mhz. Frequency Band set for 'Amplitude Modulation' (A.M.) when they are Transmitting on 'Cellular Frequencies' in the Gigahertz Range using frequency Modulation (F.M.)!!! Square Peg in Round Hole concept. Then factor in what they say about the Speed it's traveling at (4X C) & I can't imagine us even being able to Detect it (operating technology being only that of C) with much slower 'Processing Capabilities' akin to 'Win 95' vs. 'Win 7' capable Processors??? just random thoughts, so Whoop up on me!!! Da Moose

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Forgive me for not reading all of the posts, but I must say this is fascinating. Who know's what it could be. I do hope its an alien space craft. I'm not an expert on speed of light or anythng like that in particular, but is bending the universe possible? Such as using FTL engines like the ones from Battlestar Galactica?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It is an ILLUSION. Please trust me on this, go look up matter jets from quasars. The same thing is happening. The quasars emit the matter at a speed close to the speed of light in nearly our direction. If you track a globule of matter in these jets which are pointed at us, therefore getting closer to us at nearly the speed of light, they appear to move faster than light. This is because the light emitted at the source takes longer to get here then the light emitted at the tip of the jet, which is closer to us.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dcb942

Yeah, well, as soon as you pick up your Nobel for upping Einstein's theory into physics law, you will actually have some ground to stand on.

Until then, we will continue to hypothesis away.

Cause, personally, I don't think we have even begun to crack the mysteries of the world we live in, and the whole speed of light barrier is every bit as phony as the speed of sound barrier was.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You can't compare the light speed barrier to the sound barrier. Too very different things.

It doesn't really matter whether or not FTL is theoretically possible or not. Whatever speed it's going at it'll still be throwing out ordinary light, traveling at the speed of light, which is what we see. Based on that we can see that the apparent FTL speed is just an illusion and the object is moving slower than the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So was there anything to listen to yet? A poster earlier had stated that it'd be neat to get some audio of this signal. I suspect that may take a bit to hit the net, but maybe we'll get lucky.

So, has the audio hit the net yet? I have a friend out in Cali that has become interested in this story.

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join