It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins: I will arrest Pope Benedict XVI

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal ambush to have the Pope arrested during his state visit to Britain “for crimes against humanity”.

Source

I don't really care myself, but I thought some of you might so I'm sharing this with you. Check it out, share what you think.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If he seriously thought that he had a legal case to do it, and wanted to make a serious attempt at it, why would he go and announce it to the world beforehand? Isn't that a little bit like sending the pope a letter saying "Please come to the UK so I can arrest you"?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
He wants to arrest the Pope? Who the hell does he think he is?

The man has delusions of grandeur.

This is grand-standing, attention seeking, self-aggrandizement ,
and utterly pathetic.

He's like a five year old "look at me! look at me! I can play with the big-boys".

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you're a duly authorized law enforcement officer with arrest powers and jurisdiction, you wouldn't announce it beforehand. If you're a journalist/political activist doing something for publicity, I think you announce it in advance.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
richard is a quack quack

Hopefully pope and others will get their comeuppins but richard should be locked up in some hospital!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
LMAO! arrest the pope! ...

has he failed to ever see the massive amounts of security that the pope has near him...

lmao.... whats he gonna do, hijack the popemobile!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
richard is a quack quack

Hopefully pope and others will get their comeuppins but richard should be locked up in some hospital!

That would be for his atheism, and his making the point that under UK law...the Pope could be held responsible for apparently dubious decisions made as a Cardinal?

I'm not sure is that would be an substantive line of discourse to undertake.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Not sure about this, perhaps someone can answer me...

Does the Pope not have diplomatic immunity? As the head of state of the Vatican?

Don't think I've ever heard one way or another...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
haha, i wish. but that could never happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
He really beliefs he can charge the pope for actions or lack of them to this pope ?
The guy only has been pope for a short time .

This Dawkins guy is a fundamental evolutionist idiot.
He has become what he tried to get rid of.

I do understand his point but he totaly lost it.
Poor guy.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Does the Pope not have diplomatic immunity? As the head of state of the Vatican?

Yes he does he is considered as the head of state of Vatican city.

What's really weird about it is that only after some deal with Mussolini the Vatican became a sovereign entity.
Apparently they were so powerful before that time they didn't need to have it written on paper. ???

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Of course he's coming out in advance and saying he plans to arrest the pope...

1. He obviously knows the pope has good security

2. The popes' crimes DESERVE THE ATTENTION

3. If he actually goes through with the attempt, it can't be twisted to look like he was a lunatic just trying to hurt the pope

4. We're back to the attention that any kind of physical action taken "against the pope" will draw... People are going to want to know why the guy did what he did, if he actually does it...

People that say he's just trying to get attention are just trying to get attention themselves...

[edit on 11-4-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
think this is just a shout out for attention...but let's give him a chance to put his money wher his mouth is shall we?

regards

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Yes, he has irrevocable Diplomatic immunity. This idiot would end up being arrested himself and probably in jail for years if he tried it. With the Swiss Guards he might end up dead if he tried!

Zindo

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Needless to say, I did NOT say "I will arrest Pope Benedict XVI" or anything so personally grandiloquent. You have to remember that The Sunday Times is a Murdoch newspaper, and that all newspapers follow the odd custom of entrusting headlines to a sub-editor, not the author of the article itself.
richarddawkins.net...

States from there that he is supporting the action of two other fellows who are attempting to pursue action against the Pope.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
the only reason he has done this is for the media coverage. I think when the pope does come every one should shout dawkins out and make him put his money where is mouth is

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

He's like a five year old "look at me! look at me! I can play with the big-boys".

Agreed. He isn't going to convert anyone to atheism. I think he just wants to keep his name in the news.

"Hey everybody! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by digby888
the only reason he has done this is for the media coverage. I think when the pope does come every one should shout dawkins out and make him put his money where is mouth is

...and none of this has to do with holding the Pope to account? Classic case of shoot the messenger.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Don't these idiots know they're both on the same side?! Personally, I hope it ends in draw in a fight to the death - only joking! If they did have a fight though I don't know who I'd pick, obviously the Pope would have to put down that stick...Dawkins has the edge in terms of youth...Pope trained in the Hitler youth...it's a tough one.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think his tactic might be to stop the Pope coming to the UK in the first place.

Last year, Tzipi Livni, the former Israeli Foreign Minister, cancelled her trip to the UK when she discovered an arrest warrant had been issued for war crimes allegedly committed in Gaza by the State of Israel.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Richard Dawkins believes that under United Nations law, the Vatican is not a recognised state.

“There is every possibility of legal action against the Pope occurring,” said Stephens. “Geoffrey and I have both come to the view that the Vatican is not actually a state in international law. It is not recognised by the UN, it does not have borders that are policed and its relations are not of a full diplomatic nature.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

News source

I think it's only right someone should try and bring the Pope to justice when governments around the world seem to be doing nothing about addressing the sexual abuse occurring in the Catholic Priesthood.

There is every chance that the Pope will cancel his visit to the UK and that will only raise more questions about his involvement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join