It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Better Sit Down For This

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Whay a pile o' crap...I mean, think about it. Our Gov't cares more about leaving the oil in the ground so they can screw the world down the line than they care about the needs of America right now! How should a soldier feel about this? Bring all our folks home, tell the Arabs and Chinese to eff themselves, lower the price of gas, heating fuel, help the trucking industry, but no...I'm sure the oil companies have something to do with this (imagine that!). It really makes me angry. Our Gov't wants us to TRUST them. AAARRrrrgggghhhh.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

North Dakota and Montana have an estimated 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in an area known as the Bakken Formation.

A U.S. Geological Survey assessment, released April 10, shows a 25-fold increase in the amount of oil that can be recovered compared to the agency's 1995 estimate of 151 million barrels of oil.

Doesn't sound like shale. Technically recoverable means using today's methods so if shale is useless then this is not shale.

USGS

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't know why all of you guys want to believe that we have plenty of oil and more than what Saudi Arabia has when the numbers just don't show it.

www.eia.doe.gov...

According to this chart, The United States reached it peak of oil production in 1970with the daily average of 9.64 Million barrels a day. All through the oil crisis of the 1970's we were pretty Producing around 9 million barrels a day and even then that wasn't able to keep up with demand.

Figures in (Million of Barrels a Day(
1960 - 7.04

1970 - 9.64

1980 - 8.6

1990 - 7.36

2000 - 5.82

2008 - 4.9

The Chart Ends in 2008, and by then we were producing 4.9 Million Barrels a day.

The Trend has been a downward spiral of domestic production and yet these stories keep coming around. I believe it is because we are so dependent on oil to get around that living with out it is so hard to imagine. Because our entire society depends on personal vehicles to get around that we demand that every man, woman, and even Children (teenagers) get a drivers license regardless of their ability to drive.

For the past 40 years, attempts have been made to introduce America to go Solar, wind, and fuels made from Organic Sources that being from alge. But Regan came in, cut the funding for research in to this fuel source, (which by now would be a usable source) tore out the Solar Panels on the White House lawn, and put this nation toward ruin that we are facing today.

It been only the past 10 years that we started to invest in Solar And Wind and new Light Rail Systems and even then, its going to be too little to late to really use them. And Even now, People who are against transit always say how wasteful it is, and "We don't want those people" around as there excuse to fund it when in the end, we are going to be depending on it more than ever in the future.

Socristotle, lets say your right, and we do have the oil you report. To avert this current Crisis in the Economy we will need to start producing that oil by 2012. And we will need to start producing 10 million Barrels a day by 2015 to avert this crisis.

If we are to wait until the rest of the world runs out of oil, it will be too late to tap this reserve because by then, the rest of the world would have already invested in alternative power sources that are way better than oil.

Just remember everyone. Every time you fill up your gas tank, you help the terrorist overseas kill our troops, throw rockets at Israel and promote Murder by the regims that rule like Stalin.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by sirbikesalot06]

[edit on 6-4-2010 by sirbikesalot06]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
Is this that oil shale stuff? I am getting pretty tired of hearing about that stuff. It is beyond naive to even consider that stuff usable at this point. The last I heard, that was all that they found that way, just useless, useless oil shale.

Fascinating. And where do you come across that opinion?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Bakken is shale.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

"Fascinating. And where do you come across that opinion?"

Probably fox news. American #1 source of all information.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirbikesalot06
I don't know why all of you guys want to believe that we have plenty of oil and more than what Saudi Arabia has when the numbers just don't show it.

Finally!

Someone who actually bothers to look at the data.

99% of the posters so far seem to have no understanding of EROEI!

It's never as simple as it sounds people!

*bangs his head against a brick wall*

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
There is more unconventional petroleum resources than conventional.

Reserves data is based on proved reserves.

Unconventional by its nature is not well proved.

M.E. reserves estimates are unaudited and may be unreliable.

Little primer:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
For all of you who think we are smart for not using our own oil..ROADAPPLES!

You have bought into the stupidity hook line and sinker.

They are bleeding the American people dry. Fighting wars over oil when we have plenty of our own.

Quit buying foreign oil and let the ragheads try mixing theirs with sand and see if they can eat it.

It is greed pure and simple, why use our oil here at home when THEY can make loads of money sucking us dry by importing the stuff?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well,what you all have failed to understand is not all oil is the same.

The primary reason the Arabian peninsula and the oil there is so valuable and in demand is the oil is very thin and has little sulfur content.

It pumps from the ground almost like water.

This means very little energy is required to refine it an to extract the impurities.

It also is not that far below ground.

It is true that there are a unlimited supply of crude oil in the North American continent and actually most places on earth.

Getting it out of the ground economically, is another story.

The farther down below the earth it is, the thicker in viscosity it is, the more impurities in the oil there are,all increase the costs of producing fuels that humans can use.

Peak oil,does not just mean the amount of oil worldwide there is available to use.

It means, how fast humans are using the refined products,how fast we can pump it and transport it, in relation to the amount of energy(fuel) is used to do this all.

Building more tankers, ships,trucks etc.,pipelines,refineries gas stations and all the energy used to make produce and distribute these items and all peripheral items needed,has to be taken in to consideration.

Ask yourself this.What is probably the most abundant mineral on earth and also one of the most expensive in weight an worth?Diamonds.

Just like oil no one knows for sure how many diamonds the Debeers corporation has extracted from their mines.

If every diamond that has been extracted from the earth were to be put on the free market,you could buy them at the local 99 cent store.

spoke to me many years ago about her father and his work for British Petroleum

You should all do some extended research on this company and a large number of other multi-national corporations.

The empires created by European countries,who funded the armadas and colonies in the areas of the world the "crowns" decided to occupy,and who is actually in charge of the world situation.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I live in north dakota so trust me, there is alot of oil. But there are also alot of oil rigs going up right now, and it is being extracted. I assume there won't be a push for more of it until it's really needed, but out in western North Dakota it's oil country right now.

Also you have to understand something. The oil in ND and Montana, like the above guy said, is not as pure as other oil. Alot of it has to do with the amount of shale and stuff we have here.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Judohawk]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So the war aint about OIL but maybe something else...?

Power?

Stargates?

Secret Knowledge?

This life on this planet seems like a game sometimes, just wondering what happens when "they" find what they are looking after, if its something or just full power of this planet.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Maybe this is why the Nafta SuperHighway is being constructed:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6953177c65e.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmm....can you say SuperDuper Power?
Once Saudi oil is gone...
...we will have a nice, big, super highway to transport our own oil.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbikesalot06

But why would you look at production numbers when this topic is talking about untapped oil sources???

Yes...I think everyone agrees that right now we don't produce a lot of oil...but that doesn't mean we don't have it.

You can't come to that conclusion by looking at what we currently produce.

Socristotle, lets say your right, and we do have the oil you report. To avert this current Crisis in the Economy we will need to start producing that oil by 2012. And we will need to start producing 10 million Barrels a day by 2015 to avert this crisis.

It is not about averting this current economic crisis...Oil has very little to do with the current crisis. Besides...the oil isn't really meant to be used by the United States anyway...we currently sell most of the oil we produce anyway...and buy it back off of the market...we do this so OPEC countries continue to extract more and more oil. It's just a small way to keep the prices low...and the oil flowing.

Look at your data again...only two "nations" out supply the united states right now...and we know we aren't at 100% capacity. And that is Saudi Arabia and the former territories of USSR collectively. The United States isn't hurting in the oil department...just producing enough to keep it going and to keep the OPEC countries from having to keep producing more and more to make the profits they want.

According to your data, The united states was the top oil producer until the mid 70's...I'm sure this is when their policy of draining the middle east started.

But I am still confused on how you use current production data to prove that the US does not have oil supplies they are not tapping.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There's also a huge ass oil pipeline being put in right now/might be done. Atleast I think it's done in our area.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Geological Science “experts” acting on behalf of the US Foreign Trade Commission deem that we should use up all of the worlds natural resources before our own. Corporate “experts” travel to foreign countries and convince them that it will be good for their economy and they will follow established environmental guidelines (for that country) during their stay. In the end when all cooperating nations resources are harvested we will tap into our own supply. In the eyes of US policy makers “it’s just good business”. The experts acting on behalf of the United States’ interests make it all seem like the right thing to do.
Here’s an old link to a paper on Geoscience Activities Policy. www.nap.edu...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

The war on oil isn't.

That's too simplistic.

But let me be honest. If the war was about oil, then knowing that some part of the world that has it and produces it in a way which is bad for long term global stability - I'd be tempted to kick their ass too.

If you were to look back from the vantage of 600 years from now, and are living in a time of serious power struggles over energy and water.....and you knew the whole world sat aside while one area developed their resources in a way that destroyed the fields and pools and made them unrecoverable in vast quantities....

Wouldn't you be pissed? Wouldn't you think it was a crime?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

i just simplify it by saying it all started when this idea of paper has value thingie was invented.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicodin
reply to post by Aeons

i just simplify it by saying it all started when this idea of paper has value thingie was invented.

But as a way of trading units of work or resource value without actually having to find a way to trade someone on another continent your apples for their pomegrantes so that you can trade another person for something pretty for your wife......well its an idea that kinda had to happen.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think the article is bunk. Is there any official data which confirms this? The first suspicion comes from saying that we would have 2041 years of oil from this.
Allow me to explain.

Currently, the U.S. consumes 22 million barrels of oil a day.

22x365=8030 million barrels a year, or 8.03 billion.

503/8.03=62.64 years

So even if we could theoretically tap into every single bit of oil, this would only last us 62 years. It doesn't even fit in line with it being a mistake and what was intended was the year 2041. Well, unless you consider the rate of increase. Then, maybe so.

How much of this oil is truly recoverable? How much can be extracted without doing great environmental damage? Either way, we'll still be running out of cheap oil relatively soon.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by unityemissions]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join