It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Arming Fast Sportboats With Russian Torpedo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The fastest speedboat can not out run a F/A 18 with cluster bombs at 12.000 feet. (Out of range of manpads like the stinger missile)
At 12.000 feet you would get a good spread on the bomblets
CBU-75 Sadeye could hold 1,800 one pound BLU-46 anti-personnel bomblets, each of which containing 0.7 pound of explosives with impact or time delay fuzes that would produce around 600 fragments.

Now if they have any old Vietnam US Mk 44 Lazy Dog bomb dispensers they had 10,000 little 50 caliber bullet size bomblets in each one and dropped from over 10,000 feet they will go through a truck or helmet. a fiberglass boat would be ripped apart.
www.abstractstorm.com...
commons.wikimedia.org...:Lazy_dog_bombs.jpg

It would be like killing fish with a shotgun.

Except for the fact that clusterbombs are much more inaccurate from a higher altitude detonation and would probably result in killing more of the ocean's ecosystem more than anything else (but since when does the US war machine care about the environment? :@@

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
if the speedboats looked civilian then they MIGHT get away with destroying 1 or 2 if the torpedo is big enough just because of the surprise, but after we caught on a little 65mph speed boat has no chance against a destroyer or carrier, just from the cannons alone.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by A-Dub

Latest news from Hormuz drills are saying that these new speedboats are actually Unmanned Vechiles - thats interesting.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

my search for the specifications of the Ya Mahdi unmanned vessel have turned up only the usual press articles although i think it might have similar performance levels as the Bladerunner 51 reportedly bought by Iran.

[edit on 4.23.10 by toreishi]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ahmadinejad will be gloating for decades if the Iranians succeed in sinking an American aircraft carrier.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I didn't know ashes could gloat.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Well I hate to say it but if they sink a carrier they will be turned into a parking lot. The American people will be so upset the will give the OK to use whatever means possible to take them out. We need to remember Pearl Harbor and what happens when America takes a serious blow. I hope Iran remembers this history lesson for their own good.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

wow, this place gets the crazies
the US wouldnt Use nukes

one thing it would be expected for Iran to use everything it had to retaliate against attacks.

but seriously if you want nukes

use my plan and Nuke the US along with Iran and Israel
that way we get rid of 3 pain in the right side.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Iblis

great nations have risen out of the ashes of old ones my friend. plus its pretty diffifult to destroy a nation that has, more or less, been around for 5 millenia give or take a millenia. let us hope that it will not come to violence though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Its one thing to deploy a torpedo on a fast sportsboat,its another thing to actually reach the target and score a hit.Sleeper torpedos , underwater missles ,or mines would be a better idea to attack a target very quickly.Sleeper torpedos,missles or mines lay on the sea bed waiting for a signal to activate them to attack a target.When a aircraft carrier or warship crosses the sea above the sleeper torpedo or missle it comes to life and attacks the ship from below.The crew on the ship may not have enought time to react to the threat as its from directly below the ship.The enemy could track the ship until it comes into range of theses sleeper weapons.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but after thinking about it how is it a bad idea to use multiple yet small vessels in a strike against a carrier taskforce?

From what I've seen, US carrier forces are equipped to take on enemy navy and airforce elements, specifically ships. I doubt a missile or torpedo designed to take out a frigate will have the same chance of taking out a speed boat.

And for people who arrogantly doubt Iran's capabilities, you do realize Iran is an autonomous country with government weapons development programs (not corrupt private contracts like in the US), right? I'm sure an Iranian weapons development team can figure out how to stick anti-ship missiles on a speedboat without compromise and probably with even more advantages (IE stealth, radar scramblers, SAMs, etc).

Also consider the fact that Iran has much more specialized anti-carrier craft than just speed boats. They have small and stealthy Russian amphibious skip jets that are able to skip along the water and hide under the 30' or so under the radar, all the way to engaging distance. I haven't found much details on this craft recently but I remember when Iran made the purchase a few years back.

I wish the war would break out already, just so Iran can strike down a flagship carrier. There's no way the US media can avoid that and the American people will easily cower in fear when their massive weapon systems start to fail. It is so easy to overestimate the power of a weapon when it has never fought an adequate opponent, which is really the story of the entire US war machine since WWII.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I am new here but I support Dimitry with some recent history regarding a demonstration of what is quite likely to happen to an 'open ocean force-projector Navy' when it sails into a bottleneck to intimidate a country that is not its enemy:

The Bush administration has covered up and ignored dissenting Pentagon war games analysis that suggests an attack on Iran's nuclear or military facilities will lead directly to the annihilation of the Navy's Fifth Fleet now stationed in the Persian Gulf. Lt. General Paul Van Riper led a hypothetical Persian Gulf state in the 2002 Millennium Challenge war-games that resulted in the destruction of the Fifth Fleet. His experience and conclusions regarding the vulnerability of the Fifth Fleet to an asymmetrical military conflict and the implications for a war against Iran have been ignored. Neoconservatives within the Bush administration are currently aggressively promoting a range of military actions against Iran that will culminate in it attacking the US Navy's Fifth Fleet with sophisticated cruise anti-ship missiles. They are ignoring Van Riper's experiences in the Millennium Challenge and how it applies to the current nuclear conflict with Iran.
by Michael E. Salla [1], M.A., Ph.D.
November 7, 2007

read full article at: agonist.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I wonder how a speed boat with a hot engine on a cool water background would fare against a Sidewinder AIM 9X missile.

From a couple stories i have heard of its not likely the boat would survive.
cases.justia.com...
www.armybase.us...

During the Vietnam war a number of Vietnamese patrol boats were hit with sidewinder missiles.

Carrier aircraft returning from bombing runs over North Vietnam would sometimes expend there sidewinder missiles by locking on and firing at North Vietnamese patrol boats.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

The Iranians already have their own version of a supercavitation torpeedo - have had for a long time - it was back engineered from the Russian one.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by roche Ahmadinejad will be gloating for decades if the Iranians succeed in sinking an American aircraft carrier.

Which of course just will not happen! ever. Jeeze, you people are really anti-Iranian aren't you?

So, let me see if I can get this scenario right?

Here you have the American 7th Fleet steaming towards the Straits of Hormuz when suddenly, a watchkeeper spots a tiny little craft speeding towards them at 65 knots or so.

The CVN commanders orders weapons free and having survived surface to surface missiles, main guns and close support weapons, not to mention Marine machineguns and grenade machineguns, this little craft gets close enough to launch a torpedo from an unstable launch platform?

Get real people. In order to launch torpedos from a small craft like the one you are suggesting, the crew would have to be travelling so slowly that the boat would be blown out of the water! Fact!

Stop warmongering! Try to think things through instead of believing films like "The A Team".

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Originally posted by roche Ahmadinejad will be gloating for decades if the Iranians succeed in sinking an American aircraft carrier.

Which of course just will not happen! ever. Jeeze, you people are really anti-Iranian aren't you?

So, let me see if I can get this scenario right?

Here you have the American 7th Fleet steaming towards the Straits of Hormuz when suddenly, a watchkeeper spots a tiny little craft speeding towards them at 65 knots or so.

The CVN commanders orders weapons free and having survived surface to surface missiles, main guns and close support weapons, not to mention Marine machineguns and grenade machineguns, this little craft gets close enough to launch a torpedo from an unstable launch platform?

Get real people. In order to launch torpedos from a small craft like the one you are suggesting, the crew would have to be travelling so slowly that the boat would be blown out of the water! Fact!

Stop warmongering! Try to think things through instead of believing films like "The A Team".

Hey hey hey, this is above top secret, where minor, semi-periphery states can take down a major power and its allies with one fiberglass speedboat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join