It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School and Cyber Bullies Suspected In Deaths of Two Teens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

School and Cyber Bullies Suspected In Deaths of Two Teens

Nine Massachusetts teens were indicted Monday for driving a pretty 15-year-old "new girl" from Ireland to suicide in a case that has become a symbol of high school bullying.

The sweeping charges - which come after months of complaints that the bullies weren't being punished - include statutory rape, violation of civil rights with bodily injury, criminal harassment and stalking.

Phoebe Prince, a new arrival at South Hadley High School from a tiny seaside hamlet in County Clare, was merciless
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
There are actually multiple stories on that page. I wish the author hadn't stereotyped all atheists and catholics as being evil which he usually seems to do, let alone apparently guessing the beliefs of the bullies and stalkers. I would be interested in seeing what it is these bullies believe, perhaps someone can make some calls or emails and find out.

And yes this is "new" news, because the author has included new stories of cyber-bullying, at least so he claims.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2010 by intrinsic]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Statutory rape, infliction of bodily harm, stalking and criminal harassment aren't open to interpretation

and far exceed 'bullying'. They are crimes, capital 'C'

Was the link deleted, by the way, because it doesn't appear on the OP as far as I can see

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
linkie poos

More linkie poos

Final linkie poos from me

Just a few of the stories doing the rounds today - seems to be quite the Mother Bucker (upper of morality and strife).

-m0r

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I imagine these groups of terrorist kids will be spending a number of years being bullied in the pokey now and for damn good reason.

thats karma for you.

this news story sickened me...pity we cant do an exchange program with these kids...send each of them to various prisons in ireland and give knowledge of their case to the inmates...let them truely see the other side of the coin.

gaa...ok, this makes me irrational. bullys piss me off...because I was one for a little bit back in my schooldays and I am sickened at my mindless behavior.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Agree with what you've written, so maybe disgust has rendered me 'irrational' too, as you say

Was busily occupied elsewhere for a few minutes and it seemed to me that a no-plea-bargain, no-fake-apolgies sentence should be imposed --- a sentence of maybe 40 years-no-parole would be appropriate for the offenders, imo

Then I asked myself if that wasn't a bit extreme. And decided no, it wouldn't be extreme. Instead it would send a message to those who need that message, at the same time as it levied a world of hurt on those who enjoyed the hurt they inflicted on others

Your choice of the word 'terrorist' is appropriate also, imo. Before I even read your post, I was thinking to myself that governments need to quit this ludicrous 'international terrorist-racket' they've been inventing and promoting for at least the past decade --- and instead get involved in some real governing, such as removing toxic jerks from the general community. So yes, the thug offenders rightly deserve the label of 'terrorists', because that's what they are and it's what they do and have done .... terrorise

Also, why are these crimes being described as mere 'school bullying' -- anyone know ?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This news breaks my heart. I hope her soul the best, as well for her family. These individuals who did it; they're just victims of society. We created them. We should examine why should individuals feel the need to bully, domintae and teach the bully types and the type to get bulled so understanding/forgiveness/progression can occur; and maybe even presented in future. I feel sorry for both bully and bullier.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
What a beautiful young lady she was. It breaks my heart to see such things. What is wrong with kids today??
I swear, they should have classes on how to appreciate and respect one another. There is just no excuse for this kind of behavior!! I hope these bullies don't get off lightly. Examples need to be set.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadiatorOfTheLight
This news breaks my heart. I hope her soul the best, as well for her family. These individuals who did it; they're just victims of society. We created them. We should examine why should individuals feel the need to bully, domintae and teach the bully types and the type to get bulled so understanding/forgiveness/progression can occur; and maybe even presented in future. I feel sorry for both bully and bullier.

I can't agree with you, sorry

'Victims of society' ? When bullies exist even in the animal kingdom ? And when there have been bullies since the dawn of time ?

Let's look at the characteristics of the bully and what they hope to achieve:

* competitive -- they strive to eliminate all competition. And that's lauded within commerce, politics, sports and virtually every area where humans meet

* cruel -- cruelty for its own sake. For the enjoyment of seeing someone, something, suffer. And for the enjoyment of power it provides the bully, which is at least proportionate to the power they seek to deny the victim

* scapegoating --- been with us since humans numbered more than three members on the planet. Exists in families, in neighbourhoods, in international relationships .. everywhere. It's when a two or more victimise another. Again, it provides the bully a sense of power and control. And humans generally enjoy power and control. They fight tooth and nail to obtain it. Put a little uniform on someone ... give them a dinky little badge ... or a gun, and watch them abuse that bit of power

* cowardice --- intrinsic to human nature. Humans form groups (like 'armed forces') ... arm themselves and feel stronger because they're not alone but are part of a 'gang'. Bullies are cowards. One on one they're not so tough. But give them a few cronies and see their chests puff out. Listen to their boasts and threats. Watch them victimise someone ... just because they can, because they outnumber to victim or are more well-armed than the victim/s

* self interest. Don't we all silently breathe a sigh of relief from the tensions we've been suffering throughout a movie or book, when the 'bad guys' are finally caught and then they start to sweat and plead. They didn't care when their victim/s were terrified and pleading, though ... did they ? But when they stand to lose their liberty, or their lives or know they are going to hurt ... suddenly it's all about them. And how psychiatrists and judges and juries and the media should focus on their extenuating circumstances -- such as their 'bad childhood' etc. Self interest. No compassion though when others are suffering

and so on

So no, the perpetrators are NOT always 'victims of society' at all. They're human. And humans have a lot of nasty streaks which alleged 'evolution' has done next to nothing to eradicate

I'm not going to have sympathy for the perpetrators. I'm going to give them what they meted out to their victims --- coldness. Dismissal. Cruel detachment as I observe them beg and plead. Then, I'd like to kick them in the head and toss them down a railway embankment, after which I'd like to toss bricks at them

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I'm curious as to why the school administration turned a blind eye to all of this.
This type of thing can be stopped if f'n adults step in.
There was a link from that story to another, remarkably similar story that took place close to my home town...it's sickening.
These kids deserve the worst, and then worse on top of that.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark
reply to post by Dock9

I'm curious as to why the school administration turned a blind eye to all of this.
This type of thing can be stopped if f'n adults step in.
There was a link from that story to another, remarkably similar story that took place close to my home town...it's sickening.
These kids deserve the worst, and then worse on top of that.

Hope there's a very thorough scrutiny of just what authorities within that school actually did do (also what they failed to do) in defence of the victim

Also, what reports etc. were filed when the situation was brought to the attention of individual teachers and the ultimate authorities (principal, school board, etc.) all dated, signed, etc.

It's difficult for teachers of course. But it's no good simply punishing the actual offenders without also exposing the school -- it's culture -- the influences (if any) of parents who might have engineered cover-ups previously -- the ways in which teachers and principals might have contravened for example State or County guidelines, etc.

It all must be revealed publicly, if there's to be a precedent established and deterent

Yes, some teaching & administrative staff might lose their positions or worse. But children's lives have been lost. And only if and when teachers and administrators are SEEN to be held accountable (if they are) will other teachers and administrators take heed, if only to save their own skiins in the future

Undoubtedly, teachers and administrators will attempt to claim that much of the abuse occurred online or outside school property, in which case they might claim it lay outside their jurisdiction

If so, and if lawyers are unable to make this fly, it might prompt legislation which grants teaching and administrative staff greater powers to be used in defence of child victims, regardless of where offences occur

It's claimed that charges of statutory rape, actual physical harm, deprivation of liberty (kidnapping or other form of capture ?) etc. occurred

Were the parents aware ? Were these offences reported to the police ? If so, there should be incident-numbers, at least. What action was taken b the police ? Were the offenders cautioned, arrested, etc. ?

I'm not as familiar with the details as most. And perhaps the media is limited in what it can reveal until the case is concluded ? At the moment, though, based on the information to hand, it seems adults missed several opportunities via which they might have averted the final tragedy, doesn't it ?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I was just thinking of putting this up as I hadn't seen anything here today. Glad someone got to it.

I was driving in the car earlier when I heard this and I just felt so sad for this girl. No one deserves to have this happen to them and from what I have read the school system failed her miserably. I posted a thread a while back about a lady who killed herself and her daughter in the U.K. because of the attacks she had suffered and the cops knew and failed her also.

What good is it to have people in power make laws and regulations that they then do not enforce? This girl got no help it seems and in this day and age the harassment goes on 24/7 so where could she have gone for help? The cops in the U.S. are pretty much worthless unless you are a corporation so would they have even helped, I wonder?

It's so hard for me to fathom acts like this. I was a stupid kid at one time(am still stupid but older now) and I never came close to anything like this. I never could have participated in this even in my most frakked up moments.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Yeah, I was wondering about the statutory rape aspect of the story too.
I've read three articles regarding this story, but they only briefly mention that.
What was that part in this story?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Terrible news. Where were the parents at? Probably both working in an effort to just get by so their kids can go to school. How many more young lives need to be ended until a major recognition of and crackdown on Bullying is to occur?

I made a thread last year on the dangers of bullying and why it needs to be recognised and dealt with as soon as possible.

Here is the link for anybody interested: Removing the Bully in Me and You

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intrinsic

I posted this earlier today here...www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is a very sad story. The saddest part is that it was preventable.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
I was just thinking of putting this up as I hadn't seen anything here today. Glad someone got to it.

I was driving in the car earlier when I heard this and I just felt so sad for this girl. No one deserves to have this happen to them and from what I have read the school system failed her miserably. I posted a thread a while back about a lady who killed herself and her daughter in the U.K. because of the attacks she had suffered and the cops knew and failed her also.

What good is it to have people in power make laws and regulations that they then do not enforce? This girl got no help it seems and in this day and age the harassment goes on 24/7 so where could she have gone for help? The cops in the U.S. are pretty much worthless unless you are a corporation so would they have even helped, I wonder?

It's so hard for me to fathom acts like this. I was a stupid kid at one time(am still stupid but older now) and I never came close to anything like this. I never could have participated in this even in my most frakked up moments.

You really said this very well. I was looking for this story here and even posted it earlier because abuse of children is a terrible life damaging thing. I don't mind that it is posted twice because a hundred times will never bring Pheobe back. She leaves behind a grieving family and I am sure many who loved her.

She leaves accused some equally damaged but not dead children. Most of them are truly sorry. One of them is home snickering. Always one socio-path to drive sane people to commit insane acts.
It is especially heinous when there are adults supposedly in charge of these students while they were at the school.

I don't even blame the abusers as much as the poor learning and unsupervised leisure "and travel to and from" environment.
It must have been negligent for this kind of violence to flourish among the children. The representative supervisors were not setting a good example or teaching the right lessons at the school.

Teenagers can be nasty pricks because it is an awkward stage of life. I am sure we all remember whose firm hand guided us back on track when we became unruly and "a hazard to ourselves."
Unsupervised kids will go all "Lord of the Flies" if you let them.

Time to intervene in a broken education system.

It all could have been prevented by awareness and intervention in the lives of our kids. And isn't this what we send them to school for?

join