It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SAC Base UFO Flyovers - Oct/Nov, 1975.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

"Since 28 Oct 75 numerous reports of suspicious objects have been received at the NORAD CU; reliable military personnel at Loring AFB, Maine, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan, Malmstrom AFB, Mt, Minot AFB, ND, and Canadian Forces Station, Falconbridge, Ontario, Canada have visually sighted suspicious objects."

The Commander-in-Chief of North American Air Defense Command, November 11th, 1975.

It seems that, contrary to the often cited U.S. Government claim about 'UFOs being of no defense significance', there was considerable panic about them over a period of three weeks in October and November, 1975.
Several Strategic Air Command bases in the Northern U.S. were placed on a high priority alert due to repeated reports of UFOs flying at low altitude over atomic weapons storage areas and the Commander-in-Chief of North American Air Defense Command sent a four part message to NORAD about the 'intrusions' on Nov 11th (more info at links).

Incidents:

* DOD, USAF, and CIA document reveal that during October, November, and December of 1975, reliable military personnel repeatedly sighted unconventional aerial objects in the vicinity of nuclear-weapons storage areas, aircraft alert areas and nuclear-missile control facilities at Loring Air Force Base, Maine; Wurtsmith AFB Michigan; Malstrom AFB, Montana; Minot AFB, North Dakota; and Canadian Air Forces Station, Ontario. Many of the sightings were confirmed by radar. At Loring AFB, the interloper "demonstrated a clear intent on the weapons storage areas."

* The incidents drew the attention of the CIA, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Secretary of Defense. Though the Air Force informed the public and the press that individual sightings were isolated incidents, an Air Force document says that "Security Option III was implemented and that security measures were coordinated with fifteen (15) Air Force bases from Guam to Newfoundland. Another AF document reveals that the Air Force conducted an investigation into the incidents but found no explanation for their occurrence.

Link

Government documents:

Full

Full

Full

Full

Further documents (pdf):
www.dod.mil...
www.nicap.org...
www.nicap.org...

Links:
www.nicap.org...
www.ufocasebook.com...
www.cufon.org...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
SAC Base 1975 flyovers found at 3:40

Mufon Journal Editor Bob Pratt's article for the National Enquirer:

Full

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Great stuff as always Karl. I can't imagine just how unnerving these incidents must have been to SAC and the military in general and the panic it must have created. To have unknown aerial phenomenon repeatedly breaching security at America's most secure installations must have sent shock-waves through the ranks of the military right to the top.

I'm wondering if these specific events are the ones that prompted Ronald Reagan to develop the Star Wars program which some say is just a cover story for an "orbital based planet defense system". I personally don't believe this as I have yet to see any proof offered to support such a conspiracy. The SDI program IMHO was to make the former Soviet Union spend as much money as the US on the same type of programs at a time when they couldn't even feed their own people. But it is an intriguing possibility none the less.

It's understandable that the USAF and SAC would want to "down play" such incidents as at the time the cold war was in full swing and both sides were ready to push the button at a moments notice. I think I mentioned in another thread of yours that I'm willing to bet these objects were fired upon numerous times by the SAM sites which protect these types of installations.

Fascinating stuff Bro.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Thanks for the reply Jocko and you certainly may be onto something there with regards to U.S. policy - there's also this other U.S. Government document which describes another UFO incident over another USAF command base just two months later - the reason why it's interesting is because of the UFO description (it realy doesn't sound like a helicopter
to me.
).

Cannon USAF TAC Base -UFO Document.

Full

Objects being described as "25 yards in diameter, gold or silver in color with blue light on top, hole in middle, and red light on bottom".

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Information on the Loring AFB incident, October 27, 1975.

1975-Loring Air Force Base UFO Sightings

One of the best documented cases of UFOs at a military installation is the Loring Air Force Base UFO sightings in 1975. The case began at 7:45 P.M. on October 27, 1975. Staff Sergeant Danny K. Lewis, who was assigned to hidden weapons, was on duty when he noticed an unidentified flying object about 300 feet above the ground. The craft, with a red navigation light, was coming from the north. Lewis was shocked when the unknown craft entered Loring's official airspace.

As Lewis was watching the UFO, Staff Sergeant James P. Sampley of the 2192nd Communications Squadron was handling the duties at the base control tower. He got a radar return from the UFO, and calculated it at 10 or more miles east-northeast of the base. Sampley's orders in case of a UFO were to hail the craft through all military and civilian radio bands, which he did. There would be no response from the unknown object. He continued to monitor the return on his screen as the UFO began to circle the base. Ultimately, it moved to within 300 yards of the nuclear storage area, which of course, was highly restricted..

The UFO would continue to fly around the Loring field for forty more minutes, before if left its course, and took off in the direction of Grand Falls, New Brunswick. At about 12 miles distance from Loring, it left the radar screens.

UFO comes back second night:

Inconceivably, the very next night at the same exact time, the UFO was back. Lewis was again manning the radar screen, along with Sergeants Blakeslee and Long. The UFO was coming from north of the base, at 3,000 feet. It came to within 3 miles of Loring, sporting orange, red, and white flashing lights. Lewis, Blakeslee, and Long all saw the UFO, and Lewis again reported the object to Loring command.

The Wing Commander went to the nuclear storage area to see the object for himself. He corroborated the sighting of the three officers in the radar room. Tonight though, there would be not one, but two UFOs. A second unknown object was observed by Sergeant Steven Eickner, and others. The group reported an object which was cigar-shaped with lights of orange and red. This second UFO was seen to simply hover in mid-air. Its lights would blink out, and then the object would reappear over the base runway, about 150 feet altitude.

Link

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Great interview about the incidents with Lawrence Fawcett - co-author of the book 'Clear Intent'.

If you value genuine UFO information, and if you respect a real and honest to God "professional" investigator, then I envy your listening to this episode for the first time.

The evening of February 11, 1995 I had on just retired police Lieutenant Larry Fawcett, who along with Barry Greenwood wrote one of the most important books ever on military/government UFO information and coverup - Clear Intent. This was the first of several interviews I conducted with Larry, a long time friend and respected (especially by me) professional investigator. Larry's contributions to the aspect of UFO investigations is far and wide.

In this interview we touched upon (in depth) the 1975 incursions into Air Force nuclear weapons areas, Larry's inter-actions with the military, other police agencies and even the FBI. Of course there was much more.

Link

Thread

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Object descriptions taken from the Rockefeller briefing document:

1975: STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND BASES UFO ALERT.

*"October 28, Loring AFB, Maine. Unknown craft with a white flashing light and an amber or orange light. Red and orange object, about four car-lengths long. Moving in jerky motions, stopped and hovered. The object looked like all the colors were blended together; the object was solid.

*"October 30, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan. One light pointing downward, and two red lights near the rear. Hovered and moved up and down in an erratic manner. A KC-135 aerial tanker crew established visual and radar contact with UFO: 'Each time we attempted to close on the object, it would speed away from us. Finally, we turned back in the direction of the UFO and it really took off... I know this might sound crazy, but I would estimate that the UFO sped away from us doing approximately 1,000 knots [1,150 mph or 1,800 km./hr.].'

*"November 7, Malmstrom AFB, Montana. A Sabotage Alert Team described seeing a brightly glowing orange, football field-sized disc that illuminated the Minuteman ICBM missile site. As F-106 jet interceptors approached, the UFO took off straight up, NORAD radar tracking it to an altitude of 200,000 feet [38 miles or 60 km.]. An object... emitted a light which illuminated the site driveway. The orange-gold object overhead also has small lights on it.

*"November 8, Malmstrom AFB. Radar showed up to 7 objects at 9,500 to 15,000 feet [2,900 m. to 4,700 m.]. Ground witnesses reported lights and the sound of jet engines, but radar showed objects flying at only 7 kts. [8 mph or 13 km./hr.].

*"November 10, Minot AFB, North Dakota. A bright, noiseless object about the size of a car buzzed the base at 1,000-2,000 feet [300-600 m.].

Link

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Government document detailing Command Post civilian UFO reports from around the same time and areas.

"He saw a cigar shaped object with red, green and white flashing lights, going up and down and making sharp turns"

"She saw an object hovering at tree top level in a clearing near power lines one half miles distant. It had four red lights in diamond shape and two white flashing lights"

"It was rotating -going back and forth at a high altitude and had white, blue and red lights"

"In a partly cloudy sky, he saw one bright object about 70% elevation, like a cup in a bowl. He was looking at it through binoculars"

"They were followed by a huge oval shaped object with white blinking lights"

Full

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Further info on the SAC base flyovers, October -November, 1975:

One of history's more remarkable, bizarre, and troubling series of UFO encounters began on the night of Oct. 27, 1975, when a low-altitude, flashing object invaded Loring Air Force Base, Maine -- a B-52 bomber facility located near Presque Isle, Maine.

Loring experienced UFO intrusions three nights in a row, at least two of which included the UFO's hovering within 100--150 feet of the Weapons Storage Area, where nuclear bombs for the B-52s are stored. In fact, Air Force messages later released under the U. S. Freedom of Information Act state that the UFOs "demonstrated a clear intent" toward the nuclear weapons.

Observed visually by scores of base personnel, the elusive craft also were tracked on several separate radars. They ended up being chased by special pursuit helicopters containing security forces. In one case, the pursuers had trouble closing on the intruder even though radar scopes indicated that at one point the helicopter had come within 1,000 feet of its target. An OPREP-PINNACLE report ("grave national security situation") described the UFO pilot as "a smart and most capable aviator."

On the night of Nov. 1, 1975, two glowing UFOs invaded Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Mich., another B-52 site for the Strategic Air Command. In buzzing the flight line, the UFOs provoked a chase by a KC-135 Orbital Command Post (modified tanker) out over Lake Huron, at which point the "unknowns" got low to the water and doused their glowing lights, thereby evading further radar or visual detection.

In the next few days UFOs began showing up over B-52 bases and SAC missile sites in North Dakota and Montana. The North American Air Defense Command, headquartered in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex near Colorado Springs, Colo., scrambled a group of F-106 fighters to intercept a flight of seven UFOs over Montana missile sites, but the pursuers became helpless when the crafty craft took evasive action by hovering low near the mountains and extinguishing their glowing lights. That development was witnessed by ground-based Sabotage Alert Teams watching through field glasses.

During the first 11 days of November, dozens of UFO incursions took place over or near sensitive missile silos, many described by notations in the NORAD command director's log later FOIA-released. Near Harlowtown, Mont., at Site Lima-1, a UFO hovered within 10 feet of the missile silo, drawing the attention of a missile crew in a nearby support building. One of the officers present at the incident, Capt. Thomas Moulton, later told close relatives that the targeting instructions on the missile's multiple-warhead array had been altered by the UFO.

Link

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hey Karl,

Well presented research. Suppose I'm one that gets to the bottom line (as usual)--lol.
Seems to me nuclear wmd is what it's about. This frequently portrayed junk that it's US craft hanging up and above US bases is nonsense for most of some-part.

Frankly, it's a nervous enity, saying we're here and watching. Obama may be doing what he's doing re nuc wmd reduction, cause he already knows. Also check Sugai River, readings from Cayce.
The spirit of what Cayce shared in the latter part of the book was, 'their not going to allow humans on earth to destroy themselves".

They'll interject. Hopefully, hopefully..

Decoy

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Decoy
Suppose I'm one that gets to the bottom line (as usual)--lol.
Seems to me nuclear wmd is what it's about.

Decoy, I think you may be onto something there bud and it's interesting to note that, as well 1975, Minot Nuclear Weapon Storage Base also experienced very strange UFO activity in 1966, 1967 and 1968:

See 16:10

Google Video Link

The Minot AFB B-52 UFO Incident.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
SAC base flyovers - excerpts.

Excerpts from government documents:

"It is our opinion that the unknown helicopter had demonstrated a clear intent in the weapons storage area"

Two separate patrols from Site R reported sighting 3 oblong objects with a reddish tint moving East to West..One individual stated the object was about the size of a 2 and a half ton truck

Objects being described as "25 yards in diameter, gold or silver in color with blue light on top, hole in middle, and red light on bottom".

SAC CP reports UFO 20 miles southeast of Lewiston, orange white disc object. 24th NORAD Region surveillance checking area.

Received a call from the 341st Strategic Air Command Post (SAC CP), saying that the following missile locations reported seeing a large red to orange to yellow object.

The orange/gold object overhead also has small lights on it. SAC also advises female civilian reports having seen an object bearing south from her position six miles west of Lewiston.

L-1 reports that the object to their northeast seems to be issuing a black object from it, tubular in shape. In all this time, surveillance has not been able to detect any sort of track except for known traffic.

Excerpts from links:

The official documents provided in this report list the cause of these incidents (in many cases) as "helicopters". It would soon be obvious, and surely now after 30-plus years, that these were DEFINITELY NOT any type of helicopter. The times listed in the documents are ZULU, so local time had to be calculated so we could use the listings in the proper chronological order. Many times this actually changed the DATE of the sighting.

To summarize briefly, radar picked up the craft over the weapons storage area and followed it to the southeast, where the task of identification was handed over to the KC-135 commander. The KC-135 crew picked it up visually and on radar. Taylor, in his statement to Cahill, never once called the craft a helicopter, but called it "a UFO" and an "object." He said that their speed was about 200 knots, and in each attempt to close with the object, "it would speed away from us." Taylor added that when they were heading back to Wurtsmith, "we turned back in the direction of the UFO, and it really took off... doing approximately 1,000 knots." One thousand knots. Certainly no helicopter ever built could do such a thing.

On November 9, at 3:05 A.M., SAC crews at sites L-l, L-6, and M-l observed a UFO. They described it as being a yellowish, bright, round light twenty miles north of Harlowton at an altitude of 2,000 to 4,000 feet. At 3:20 A.M., the SAC Command Post reported the UFO twenty miles southeast of Lewiston. The color of the object was reported as orange-white, and its appearance was round or disc-shaped.

The object looked like all the colors were blending together, as if you were looking at a desert scene. You see waves of heat rising off the desert floor. This is what I saw. There were these waves in front of the object and all the colors were blending together. The object was solid and we could not hear any noise coming from it.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Interesting reading about the 1975 SAC base flyovers and the National Enquirer from Terry Hansen's book 'The Missing Times':

In Chapter IV, I suggested that leaking the UFO/ICBM missile story to the National Enquirer would have been a near-perfect way for psychological-warfare experts to strip the story of any legitimacy it might otherwise have acquired outside of Montana. With its reputation for over-the-top sensationalism and dubious veracity, the Enquirer seems tailor made for psychological spin control..

The idea that the Enquirer was used to discredit the Minuteman story certainly seems plausible but is there any evidence that this is what happened? Although it was over 20 years ago, I thought former Enquirer reporter Bob Pratt, who wrote the story for the paper's December 13, 1977 issue, might still recall how the paper had learned about the Montana events.

"Is there any reason to believe this story was purposely leaked to the Enquirer?" I asked Pratt. His initial response was deflating. "None whatsoever," he replied. "My impression was that the military would have been happy to have kept everything quiet about the 1975 over-flights. I thought the documents were extraordinary, but my editor wasn't particularly interested in it.."

Link

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Little bump as this falls along the same lines as the recent National Press Club conference pertaining to UFO's and their intrusions into American SAC bases and ICBM fields.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Awesome info. Thanks for compiling and linking everything. These reports are kinda undeniable... I don't know why people doubt non-mainstream thought when mainstream ( = government ) thought actually documents UFOs...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Tetsuo, thanks for the reply and I certainly agree with your comments about unidentified flying objects and government documentation - here´s what the chief scientist in charge of Project Bluebook had to say about the matter:

"For the government to continue to maintain that
UFOs are nonexistent in the face of the documents already
released and of other cogent evidence presented in this
book is puerile and in a sense an insult to the American
people."

Dr J Allen Hynek, Chairman of the Department of Astronomy at Northwestern University and scientific consultant for Air Force investigations of UFOs from 1948 until 1969 (Projects Sign, Grudge and Blue Book).

The book ´Clear Intent´ written by Lawrence Fawcett is also a very important one and it´s extremely sad news to hear he´s passed away as he was an excellent researcher when it came to the UFO subject (link) - there´s a great interview with him below about 1975 incursions in case you missed it.

Originally posted by karl 12
Great interview about the incidents with Lawrence Fawcett - co-author of the book 'Clear Intent'.

If you value genuine UFO information, and if you respect a real and honest to God "professional" investigator, then I envy your listening to this episode for the first time..

In this interview we touched upon (in depth) the 1975 incursions into Air Force nuclear weapons areas, Larry's inter-actions with the military, other police agencies and even the FBI. Of course there was much more.

Link

Cheers.
edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Little bump as this falls along the same lines as the recent National Press Club conference pertaining to UFO's and their intrusions into American SAC bases and ICBM fields.

Hey Jocko, do you have any links for that one?

Cheers matey.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko

Originally posted by karl 12Hey Jocko, do you have any links for that one?

Nice news report on the subject from Russia today:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Article from the Telegraph Herald concerning the mid 1970s UFO sightings over U.S. nuclear missile sites:

“Defense Dept. records show UFOs spotted at U.S. missile, bomber bases”

19 January 1979

(Telegraph Herald, Dubuque, Iowa and East Dubuque, Illinois)

Newspaper Article

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Pilot UFO incidents from the same timeline taken from Dominique Weinstein´s Military, Airliner and Private Pilot´s sightings catalogue:

13:20 USA near New Baltimore, Ohio - a private plane pilot.

A bright silver object maneuvering in sky then shoot away at great speed.

USA Loring AFB, Maine - an ANG helicopter pilot.

Pilot pursued UFO that made 90° turns during SAC base intrusions

Catalogue of Military,Airliner and Private Pilots Sightings from 1916 -2000 (pdf)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join