It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Left NASA: A Curiosity of Spirit

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is all about FTLCOM (faster than light communication) and shadow use of the rover, via its hidden ports, for the "sped up" ability of the FTLCOM/Spirit and the purpose of gathering intel on Earth. To see into tomorrow. Our satellites do it now, but having a "waypoint" to bounce our signal off Mars is much more effective.

FTLCOM is in use with one of our satelites that was (affected) by accident at first and now it is a toll that has been put on roids by this uplink to Spirit, Endeavor was fried...

but... who's accessing the rover???

tell us the OP will

compartmentalization is a beautiful thing in gov't, until the compartmentalized get to converse.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by freighttrain
you keep your damn opinions to yourself and let

Kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion board.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladebosq
the 3mb EEPROM (Electrically-Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) is nothing like a "bootable thumb drive". thumb drives use FLASH MEMORY which is based on EEPROM, but unlike EEPROM can be rewritten and reprogrammed an unlimited number of times.

For something to be written on an EEPROM, any data existent has to be erased, it also has to be written bit by bit.
again this differs from a FLASH MEMORY where data is written block by block and existent data does not need to be erased.

Hrm. Hate to be pedantic, but flash memory is a type of EEPROM, not an alternative storage strategy. Whether or not you use something like flash has to do with how much write load you anticipate and other performance quantifications. So, to be very blunt, EEPROM is not just like a thumb drive, a thumb drive is an EEPROM implementation in every case I am aware of. A specialized one, certainly, but still. I respect your Wiki-fu but suspect you aren't truly an expert in this area. Pardon me if I've insulted you, it's not my goal. Just trying to illuminate.

unless we use SSD drives as our hard drives, which i guess most of us don't, then the 256 mb FLASH MEMORY on the rover is, again, nothing like our hard drives, except in the sense that it stores data...

But don't you think the OP meant "like a hard drive" in the sense that is shares a similar responsibility in the computing architecture being discussed? What else in said architecture would you compare to a hard drive? It's intended for persistent storage. EEPROM as originally envisioned was not intended for many writes (though the thumb drive example surely shows that it's matured beyond it's original conception like most computing technologies). Persistant storage (what a computer scientist or engineer means when they say "like a hard drive") was designed for exactly that. I am sure you can appreciate the distinction. I would be happy to elaborate further on when you might apply what approach if you are genuinely curious.

for a senior engineer that worked 24 years at NASA you sure make very vague comparisons between existing technology.

If I were trying to explain a computing concept to a layman my analogies would leave a lot to be desired for an audience of computer scientists or engineers. The deeper your precision the less approachable your presentation to the unspecialized.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I didn't think I'd ever have to do it on ATS, but I finally had to put a few people on ignore. Which is sad, because I like to read what everyone has to say - unfortunately my time is precious and I can't be bothered to read the same steamy pile long winded post after long winded post with 0 substance, no actual debates, just pure garbage.

On this topic, it's interesting - and after it's all posted, i'll make up my mind about it. I really didn't need to read 13 pages of garbage to make sure I didn't miss anything from the OP, but I did, and I don't enjoy ATS much any more because of 70% of the utter crap posted in this thread, is all over.

Shame on you, ATS, Shame on you.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mixmix
I found this on google.

Anomaly Recovery and the Mars Exploration Rover (pdf) from jpl.nasa.gov

In my opinion, this may be the most relevant post thus far. The technical interworkings WITHOUT the creative writing flair. An astute writer could pretty much glean the technical jargon from a document such as this. (Pages 4 throuogh 7 especially relevant.)

Big hat tip mixmix!
Good old fashioned research! Gotta love it.

I heard a great quote in the movie "The International." Something to the effect: "The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction has to make sense." Seems apropos.

I am fighting that "UFO over Haiti" feeling.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Agreed, reading this NASA reference helps shed some light on the context. It also has a conlusion.

trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

I Totally agree Ecidemon , some of the posts on this thread are shameful .
So what if the OP chooses to lay out the the the background to his story before getting to the main point .
So what if the OP has a life and doesn't spend all his time on ATS .
Some of the replies on this post are a prime example of the got to have it now , short attention span of today's society .
All good things come to those who wait .
At-least give the OP , who is a new member , the chance to finish his story before branding him as a fake .
If the naysayers on this post cant be bothered to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and wait for the full story then whats the point of ATS .

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstroEngineer

Sorry about the teaser ending. I might as well have a little fun, and it was the best place to break. I'll try to post the next block within 24 hours.

John

Well it's been what, 27 hours now?

Oh well, NASA never finishes projects on time anyway

On a related note your cult is growing quite nicely

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyElohim

Hrm. Hate to be pedantic, but flash memory is a type of EEPROM, not an alternative storage strategy. Whether or not you use something like flash has to do with how much write load you anticipate and other performance quantifications. So, to be very blunt, EEPROM is not just like a thumb drive, a thumb drive is an EEPROM implementation in every case I am aware of. A specialized one, certainly, but still. I respect your Wiki-fu but suspect you aren't truly an expert in this area. Pardon me if I've insulted you, it's not my goal. Just trying to illuminate.

oh you haven't insulted me
oh and i'm certainly no expert, just remembering from the days i was a electrical engineering student... never really liked the whole microprocessor stuff and telecommunications for that matter, i was more into electromagnetism and ultimately power systems.

ok i'm sorry if i didn't express myself correctly, what i meant was that the 3mb EEPROM on the rover can hardly be compared to a flash drive, as they differ in application and the usage of memory in a thumb drive.

If I were trying to explain a computing concept to a layman my analogies would leave a lot to be desired for an audience of computer scientists or engineers. The deeper your precision the less approachable your presentation to the unspecialized.

yeah well there's the problem, giving vague analogies leads people to form vague conclusion and therefore misinterpret the facts.

i still stand by my opinion that he is not who he claims he is.
and to the people that keep saying "stop attacking the OP!", nobody is attacking him (well one or two have attacked him), but most of us are just asking him to prove that he is who he claims to be, and IMHO that is a reasonable request.

let me ask the people who believe him this:
if a man walks up to your house, dressed in a suit, speaking eloquently with a smile on his face, asking you to kindly step outside, for he has something important to tell you. would you just run outside without finding out who he is and what he wants first?

[edit on 29-3-2010 by bladebosq]

[edit on 29-3-2010 by bladebosq]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Well it's been what, 27 hours now?

I'm sorry if my babbling has anything to do with so many people overlooking that the NASA guy in fact "did" return to this thread within the 24 hours he allowed himself.

The "major event" happened on page 6 of this thread and "as I predicted" revealed more "nothing" about "something" that I am told is "true".

The 2nd installment to the NASA guy's "story" can be found here-
The OP's second addition to this thread

Keep watching folks...he promises MORE to come in his next exhilarating installment!!!

CAN'T WAIT!

PS- No time given when the next bit comes out...sad face.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

yep agreed ,good ole research...this is why he needs a break inbetween chapters of his made up story......move along nothing to see now.

peace

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

ATS storytellers are like ageing boxers...always 'one more fight' in them. If AS is a 'storyteller' and simply stopped posting, he'd have every chance of making an impression on some ATSers and maybe generating a conspiracy legend

More likely, he'll post himself into a corner and get TKOed. Mid-April ban. If wrong, I'll eat Mr Mask's hat

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

by mr.Mask
No offense.

Not like its offensive to be having a hand at fooling the entire audience of this site for "a bit of fun".

Bunk...hogwash...boo

*SNIP* first of all there are only 2 threads that this guy has written. One of the being a freakin' introductory post. Where he even stated that there isn't a conspiracy to prove here, that he is awakening to realize that NASA is not a transparent organization.

There is no alien conspiracy and people have lives and can't post everything at one time. Get over it dude. Just because you are on the internet and feel high and mighty doesn't give you a right to be rude. haha I rhymed... xD

Reserve your right to not post on the thread if you really don't like it as much as you state. Leave it to those who are interested in what AstroEngineer has to say. Though I wont say whether I believe him or not I am reserving judgement until I get the whole story.

Though it may be hard for those of us with little patience, lets let AstroEngineer tell his story, and then, hopefully, we can discuss it like intelligent adults. No offense.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by The dragon is taking over]

Mod-Note: Insult removed

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Oh well, NASA never finishes projects on time anyway

So true.
Perhaps it is time to cut the funding?

- Lee

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

More likely, he'll post himself into a corner and get TKOed. Mid-April ban. If wrong, I'll eat Mr Mask's hat

If this man eats my hat...ATS owes me a new hat.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just read the fanciful von Braun SS pin yarn that ends with "Hoagland was right."

If there was any doubt in my mind, it's gone now.

Hope that's not too impolite. I've only recently delurked.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

Agreed. Those who can't stay on topic should not bother posting. This thread is really interesting regardless of whether it's factual or not. Time will tell....

So, given what's been posted so far by the OP, where do you think this is going?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The dragon is taking over
Hey jerk, first of all there are only 2 threads that this guy has written. One of the being a freakin' introductory post. Where he even stated that there isn't a conspiracy to prove here, that he is awakening to realize that NASA is not a transparent organization.

While I hate to agree with Mr Mask, I believe in this case he is right. You have been on ATS a while so I am sure you have seen your fair share of hoaxes and creative writing, what normally happens in this senario is that the OP will wait and see what the response is before continuing. If there are a sufficient number of taggers we can expect another installment, if there are not, then the OP will simply disappear.

I can understand you being annoyed with some members that are calling HOAX early but take a good hard look at the facts? what is the agenda of the OP, why string it out over a long period of time? it has nothing to do with his/her time that is evident in the blog that was posted.

This thread just joins a whole list of others that are discarded in to the HOAX bin and the OP will received a ban for his/her troubles.

Watch this space .

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join