It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 D TV Movies and More: What Do You Think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I saw a news article tonight about 3 d movies that have come out recently, and it seems to me that 3D is finding it's way in not only every theatre, but into our homes now, with a new 3D Television available, and the 3D glasses are also a whole new market, ranging in cost from a few dollars (too much) up in the hundreds of dollars. I heard on this news show that soon most all movies and theatres will be in 3d. The glasses are already a money racket:
www.the3dmarket.com...

The tv's are ridiculous! Here is just one example:

www.beezid.com...

3D is a gimmick, always has been, I just cannot believe that folks want to watch all their TV while wearing these stupid looking glasses, or that anyone thinks this is just soooo cool that they 'have to have it'. I want to know what my fellow ATSer's feel about these TV's and movies being the norm if it comes to that. I personally do not like 3d, even as a kid it gave me a headache to watch, I avoid 3d movies and shows.

edit to add: I forgot to mention the gaming world, they are going 3d too!

www.geekwithlaptop.com...

[edit on 28-3-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I believe there is a conspiracy to have every walk around with their minds eye open and watching 3d tv and movies helps in achieving that.

They give me a headache too.

link   
Here is a crazy pair of 3d glasses, and they go for ONLY 237.00! That is more than I paid for my real glasses!

www.google.com... AQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB8Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

link   
You got it wrong.

3D TV is awesome. You can't use the cheap plastic glasses they have to be plugged into the the TV or computer, however you are running it. I haven't gone to a movie for years literally so I can't speak how that is.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

How much for the glasses so a family of 6 can all watch? What if they have friends over?

I see it as a money making racket. 3D movies have always sold because they are in 3d, the phenom of 3d sells it. But watching it constantly? I would forget the movie or show plot because of concentrating on the 3d shiz. And end it all with a headache.

If you like it, fine, if you want to pay all that money for yet another tech toy, go right ahead, but I won't be doing it, and I don't want my regular tv programs or movies to change to 3d.

Thanks for your input though, that is what I am looking for, I want to know who will and who won't go for it, and why.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Hey I mean how many dollars do people pay for PS3 when it first comes out?

How much was Super Nintendo?

If you want state of the art you gotta pay. No regular family of four had a 60" plasma screen going for $20,000 when it first came out either.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
3D is actually pretty cool lol. i cant imaging watching ALL my tv shows in 3D, but for some really exciting movies, definitely! and some video games? definitely! and i think that maybe one theory for why movies are being released more in 3D now, is to encourage sales, to encourage people to actually go to movie theatres. people download a lot of movies...and i think that 3D was a way to get people back into the theatre. but now if tvs are coming out that are in 3D and we can watch everything at home in 3D, its just going to become more mainstream and then movie theatres will have to find something else to attract customers. i see the next big thing as more movie theatres installing moving seats, like the theatres at amusement parks. and having full length movies with seats that move around through the whole flick, to give it an even more exciting feel...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

I love the idea of moving theatre! I also love movies that invite you to participate (rocky horror picture show). I remember at 6 flags when I was a kid there was the Chevy Theater, it was a moving theater, and it really felt like you were in the plane, car, boat, whatever the movie was, you felt it! Now that is tickling the senses!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

i agree, they're great fun, now imaging seeing a movie like avatar with moving seats
i'd have a blast! lol. but i can definitely see that becoming popular in theatres if 3D tech becomes too mainstream and people stop going to theatres for a while...i kind of like the idea of a little competition, it forces the industry to find more exciting ways of entertaining people

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I personally do not like 3d, even as a kid it gave me a headache to watch, I avoid 3d movies and shows.

3D movies technology is a trap to bust people's mind, assaulting the senses and depriving consciousness of reality. Another Illuminati mind control technology, aside videogames.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I took my daughter to Alice In Wonderand the other evening and they had the new 3D glasses for each patron and also 3D glasses recycling bin on the way out.

We kept ours and they are not like the cheap ones we got to watch the Michael Jackson Tribute at the Grammys.

I will say this.

The effects were awesome and they literally rolled more previews than I ever recall prior to the main feature and every single one was an upcoming 3D movie.

Named Real D)) 3D It is realistic in acted scenes as well as CGI.

I was impressed and would recommend everyone to give it a go and take in the movie for the 3D.
If I were to critique the acting, direction and such, I would have to give it a thumbs down in all aspect except the 3D.

The "Alice" charactor seemed to be capturing more sexual imagery and the script speaks of it as she shrinks and grows, losing her garments.
The rest of the scenes she is trapsing around in a flauntily cut garment which suggests her breasts (not that there is anything to gloat about, but it did create a seductiveness that I could appreciate had it not been a family type film.

There is also a great high pan shot where the checker board is highlighted and happens to be mammouth sized.

The makeup effects were very impressive however unusual so I would put that with the 3D effect for the only thumbs up regarding the film.

Last movie I went to, the concessions cost more than the tickets.
This time, the tickets were more.

Lastly,
The glasses have a web URL on the package.
www.reald.com if you want to check it out.

That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

I think what you are saying is basically what I meant, that when you see a 3d movie or show you are too busy with the whole 3d imagery too get into the movie itself, and/or the movie plot/story is not the important part of being there, therefore not good or interesting. What holds your attention is the imagery. I am not willing to go pay for that imagery. I want to see a movie not special effects like that. I do dig good special effects, but if the movie is no good, why go?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

The tv's are ridiculous! Here is just one example:

www.beezid.com...
[edit on 28-3-2010 by space cadet]

Ridiculous alright! The 3D TV is currently 68 cents in that auction!!

Its also just not TV and Cinema that 3D is taking over but concerts as well.
I read just recently that Lady GaGa is going 3D on her tour.

I personally think it's all too gimmicky and won't bite. Haven't even got a digital set top box for my TV yet and already there are pushing the 3D thing?

I only hope that when these 3D movies come to DVD that they are still playable on a normal DVD player AND we don't get forced into paying more for them because they might have 3D capabilities.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

I personally think it's all too gimmicky and won't bite. Haven't even got a digital set top box for my TV yet and already there are pushing the 3D thing?

I only hope that when these 3D movies come to DVD that they are still playable on a normal DVD player AND we don't get forced into paying more for them because they might have 3D capabilities.

They will, its a gimmick, and they always charge more for gimmicks because most people are stupid enough to fall for it. If 3D was so great how come those hockey red and blue glasses didnt become the norm for cinema goers 40 years ago with ALL films between then and now
... people got bored thats what, and the 3D now days is just a high tech version of that old system, its about as 3d as looking at a kids panorama school project.

Its limited, very limited... now if they make actual 3D TV then hey im there in a flash. But that isnt even near the baby step stages.

Spend more money on writing a good story **cough yes you Avatar cough** than flashy visuals.

When you think about it, the cinema industry has been knocked badly by the TV industry recently and DVD sales, 3D is just the money ticket to get idiots back into the cinema seats, and you can then make em buy a new expensive TV and glasses along with a higher priced DVD right afterward.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
3DTV/HDTV are all designed for Retinal damage. Just look back at the past, how many kids did you see WITHOUT televisions who wore glasses? none.

Now almost every child has some sort of eye damage (including myself) by the time there in their mid-teens.
Glasses were invented around the 1300's, compared to the TV which was invented around 1929. If that's not a demonstrator of just how much this technology has destroyed our society then I don't know what else will.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Actually what I'm saying is, the (some) effects were good, the real D)) 3D wa good, the direction was novel and a student could have done as good, the acting, directing and script were rather horrid, not Oscar quality, and furthermore, it was actually long boring and were it not for the 3D, I would not recommend it. The previews were better.

Just to be clear(er)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I was talking about this to some friends and family today, the kids (7-20yrs old) all said the same thing, they think it is soooo cool. But mom said that both her boys came home from alice in wonderland with a headache, she too had a headache, and she hated the movie. She said the movies' story line was stolen by the 3d. Exactly what I was afraid of. Your not sitting there waiting for the story to tell itself, you are sitting there waiting to see what comes close to you next, what object will look like it is in your face?.

My nephew, who is a technology junkie, is in love with the idea of 3d, but he has not gone to see any of the 3d movies that have come out this year, him and his buddies were in agreement that 3d is for kids to experience, not adults. A gimmick.

thanks all of you who have put in your 2 cents. Hope to see more opinions.

top topics

join