It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspended Animation Almost Here - Anyone up for immortality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Heya ATSers.

I came across this article that is lengthy, with films and all that, and if you want to read more, then please pop open the source: HERE

Will give you the jist of it:

Mark Roth was part of a larger DARPA initiative to extend soldier survivability after injury on the battlefield. From that research, Roth discovered that hydrogen sulfide (H2S), in small quantities, would put mammals in what was essentially a state of suspended animation.

Now, H.S. is toxic and is basically a chemical weapon used in WW2. bad stuff, but it was found in the right dose, it actually becomes exceptionally beneficial in shutting the body down without killing the animal.

but once the H2S is removed animals recover without any nasty side effects. Roth has found then what seems to be the perfect formula for keeping people alive after trauma. His newly formed company, Ikaria, is currently in phase II clinical trials for a liquid hydrogen sulfide product. In just a few years, suspended animation may be a common tool in hospitals and trauma centers all over the world. It almost sounds too incredible to believe.

This possibility, once advanceed, is beyond our comprehension of how it will impact life as we know it...and its in testing already, and the tests are going great.

Roth has found ways to extend that window to six hours. That’s how long he got mice to stay in hydrogen sulfide suspended animation and be revived successfully. Furthermore, those mice survived the process with only 60% of their blood! That level of blood loss represents a sever trauma – a gunshot wound or partial loss of limb.

now, for the birth of a new discovery/technology...having something working for a few minutes longer than normal is great. 6 hours in stasis after severe blood loss is almost unprecidented success.

Ikaria’s INOMAX (nitric oxide therapy) is used to treat newborns with hypoxic respiratory failure. Saving the lives of infants is clearly good news in of itself, but it has an added bonus here. With a product currently on sale, Ikaria could have the funding and savvy to gets its H2S treatments out that much sooner. Which means Roth’s vision of using suspended animation to save lives and help us achieve immortality is something to bet on.

Alot more in the article, plenty of science, etc...I recommend going to read it and watch the flick if you got a bit of time.

What does this mean..
Deep space exploration, auto-stasis for the terminally ill, etc. Might even graduate to be a source for population and economic balancing (10% unemployment? well...just offer the deep sleep for 10% for a couple years...plenty would take it to jump ahead now and again while letting their savings mature)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is incredible! Damn, and they even have the science to back it up too.
I will definitely be interested to see how this turns out.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

It is being funded for battlefield stasis...shot up soldiers being able to make it to a proper medical facility and whatnot...and frankly, if what I read is correct, that has already been achieved in record time (considering this research started in 2009)

Here is a related earlier article:
[ex]
One Step Closer to Suspended Animation for Wounded Soldiers in 18 Months?2 CommentsDecember 22nd, 2009

Wanted to show the timestamp on this...december of last year is when this truely got down to work.

DARPA announced that the Texas A&M Institute for Preclinical Studies (TIPS) would be receiving $9.9 million in funding to determine if previously successful suspended animation programs for rodents could work with pigs. According to Wired, the 15 person team lead by Dr. Matthew Miller hopes to have positive results in just 18 months. That sort of quick paced research could soon pave the way to preserve trauma victims the world over as they make their way to help.

Seems they are really on to something...within 3 months, they have identified and successfully sorted out the request...that is very far ahead of schedule and for less than 10 million dollars in initial research and startup costs...hell, a cereal sugar coating R&D project spends far more than that.

Matthew Miller envisions a time when every soldier could go into the field armed with a syringe filled with a hibernation cocktail. By treating injured squad mates with the cocktail, a soldier could preserve their colleague for later treatment. When adapted into civilian use such a drug could serve as a vital tool for paramedics, or preserve organs for transplant. When perfected, we may see suspended animation become a vital tool in space exploration or chronic illness management.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's not so much immortality as punctuated mortality, maybe.

Life span isn't changing, just life process' are being put on hold.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Right, but the immortality comes into play when you can suspend death until such a time that technology overcomes our brittle body's limitations

If the technology to keep us alive is still 200 years off...then its simple...if your nearing death, simply go in stasis for 200 years and voila.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Well, biogenics, ie cloning, nanotech etc. seems to be the biggies. Whatever "they" have to re-create, or, prolong life in the best interest of their "global and politically correct norm" they will use, and we, as the cattle will go along with it.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mefrosty

Yes, its quite frustrating to know there are two societys and the underling class needs to get there on a much slower rate than the master race...but hey, thats just how the world works.

I would like to make a comparative thread of the two world societies...what the underlings deal with (the slave race), and what the masters deal with insofar as technology is concerned...this is hard though as you really only have the word and research of whistleblowers and accidental stumblings of public finding out hints. From what several of these whistleblowers say however, is that pretty much anything in todays conceptual fiction is already a fact to the few.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I would definately appreciate your thoughts on these "two races".

I actually believe that there ARE two. The Dragon bloodline (Cain) and apart from those seduced by "the fallen", the chosen bloodline, (Seth).

I am sorry that I got a biblical here, however, there is concrete evidence
of "giants" excavated that were inhabitants here. And, why are these significant findings NOT in todays' museums?

Human alteration (genetic) mutants? interesting. Half divine, half human.
LOL ! Dang..

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
question for religious people, so where will the soul go while these people are in suspended animation for a few hundred years?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Have to S&F this one.
Things are moving very fast at the moment. What ever next

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
'Anyone up for immortality ? '

No thanks

Don't think you could pay me enough to undertake immortality

It doesn't appeal. Horrible thought, to be honest

But thanks anyway
And the info in the OP is interesting and doubtless of great benefit to many

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
No immortality for me either. How do you know what you will wake up to a couple of hundred years from now? What about over population? What about your soul? Will you be living on earth or in some bubble city somewhere on another planet?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is GREAT news. 6 hours is more than enough time now these days, especially when someone is severly injured, to be able to put someone in this state to figure things out, and save them, that would be incredible.

At first I thought this thread was about living forever though, or long past 100 years, im not sure what this would do to extend a normal life span, does the study say when people are in this extended animation that the age process decreases? A little confused.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
does the study say when people are in this extended animation that the age process decreases? A little confused.

It says basically its similar to being frozen...a shutdown of all body functions completely if I am reading it right.

I think a mix of freezing mixed with this is the solution for extended stay...will know more as it unfolds.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Oh my god. DOES the show FUTURAMA spring into mind?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
We're already immortal. Flesh or no flesh.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wow...this is pretty cool...I really like the idea of shutting a body down inbetwene the trauma and hospital.

Then, in the future, as the tech progresses, maybe taking a little time travel trip to the future, at reasonable jumps, maybe just 10 years at a time...that's kind of a weird thought, the changes in freinds and family. And, maybe you get far enough into the future with this one way travel taking longer jumps, you might make it to when the reverse is possible, come back and tell yourself it wasn't worth the waste of TIME, so stay, and enjoy and live this life.
Dangit, I just talked myself out of it.

And for those worried about my soul, I don't HAVE a soul, I AM a soul.
Where I am, it is. When I am not, there is nothing.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is the sort of news i like reading about,something positive,something to look forward to.
i wouldn't want to live for ever either,no thanks.
but being able to go into suspended animation when injured would an amazing thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
question for religious people, so where will the soul go while these people are in suspended animation for a few hundred years?

Id say nowhere considering you arent dead, just in a sort of coma with all your body functions on pause, well not really on pause, but really slow frame by frame

All I see when I think of this is the movie 'Idiocracy' ... or some rookie technician accidentally thawing you out to fast turning you into a dissolved mess of burst cells and bone.

No thanks, ill live the time I have, enjoy it and hope reincarnation is fact and hope I come back as a woman next time... a pretty one.

Then, in the future, as the tech progresses, maybe taking a little time travel trip to the future, at reasonable jumps, maybe just 10 years at a time...that's kind of a weird thought, the changes in freinds and family. And, maybe you get far enough into the future with this one way travel taking longer jumps, you might make it to when the reverse is possible, come back and tell yourself it wasn't worth the waste of TIME, so stay, and enjoy and live this life.

Yeah but unlike time travel you have to weather the time your jumping in real time along with anything outside your box that could cause 'issues'... except you cant 'run' or fix those issues since you are shutdown... not a very appealing idea time traveling through effective imprisonment.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So, we can use this technology on astronauts to get them to Mars and distant stars without body deterioration in zero gravity? And without need for food supplies for them during the voyage?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join