It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I hate to say this... cause I dunno how I stand on a country being the world police but...

SK is a HUGE ally of the U.S.... Their Northern counter-part is DIRECTLY THREATENING U.S and Korea territory and remark after remark and attack after attack there is no retaliation...

Bush would have made his move clear if he were still President this morning.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

The South Korean government of the day played down the action out of a desire to avoid derailing its “Sunshine Policy” of engagement with the North. But the current conservative president, Lee Myung Bak, takes a sterner view.

There is a sense among the South Korean security establishment that they have restrained themselves for long enough and that, with their undoubted superiority in equipment, supplies and training, it is time to assert themselves.

“If the fire two bullets at us, we will fire three or four back,” a government official told The Times last year. “If they fire on us from a shore battery, we will take it out.” The danger of this is further escalation, and of a skirmish developing into a battle, and then a full scale war.

North Korea has been on a war footing for all of its six decades of history, but it appears to be at a particularly vulnerable moment now. There are reports of a new famine in the country, and the “Dear Leader” Kim Jong Il, appears to be preparing to announce the anointment of his son, Jong Un, as his successor.

like i said, dont under estimate the situation...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I doubt the US and S. Korea will just say, "Well N. Korea sank a ship will over 100 people, it's no big deal".

What I care about is what China will say. Often China reels N.K, in when they start getting too nutty...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Now cnn says it but they say no report of casualties lol

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
here's the AP take on the event via the NYTimes:

www.nytimes.com

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- South Korea's military scrambled naval vessels to the western waters near the disputed maritime border with rival North Korea late Friday after an explosion ripped a hole in the bottom of a military ship, officials and news reports said.

The ship, on a routine patrolling mission with 104 crew members on board, began sinking off the coast of South Korean-controlled Baengnyeong Island close to North Korea around 9:45 p.m. (1245 GMT, 9:45 a.m. EDT), an official at the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with department policy.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported an explosion in the rear of the 1,200-ton ship and said the military had not ruled out the possibility of an attack by North Korea. However, the military official said the exact cause was not immediately clear and said he could not confirm the Yonhap report.

link   
just my two cents but i personally dont think this is a false flag the usa doesn't want war with north Korea if we did we would have attacked them when they tested nukes a war with the north would be possibly catastrophic for the usa The north would almost certainly use nukes knowing that they could not win and the retaliation would be swift and utterly devastating I hope this doesn't escalate this could be the beginning of the worst war in human history a draft would be unavoidable the norths military may be outdated but its military is enormous i remember my grandfather talking about the Korean war and how bad it was i pray that level heads prevail for if they do not may god have mercy on us all

link   
The name of the ROK Navy ship that has been sunk is the Pohang class corvette PCC-772 Cheonan.
en.wikipedia.org...

www.foxnews.com...

The South Korean navy has reportedly fired shots at unidentified ships in the direction of North Korea as it investigates whether a sinking vessel in its fleet was struck by a torpedo Friday. Military officials said the 1,200-ton ship Cheonan was patrolling in waters south of the maritime border with North Korea when an explosion occurred at the stern of the ship, which carries a crew of 104 sailors, KBS World Radio reported.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A list of some of the most major incidents along the region in the last 10 years -
Dec. 18, 1998 - South Korean navy sinks submersible North Korean spy vessel on east coast. A scuba diver from the North is found dead.

June 1999 - At least 17 and as many as 80 North Korean sailors killed in naval firefight over Northern Limit Line (NLL), a west coast, Yellow Sea border contested by the North. One of the North's vessels was sunk, others damaged.

Clash followed nine days of incursions by the North into South Korean waters.

June 29, 2002 - A clash between South and North Korean naval vessels in Yellow Sea sinks one South Korean frigate and kills six South Korean sailors and an estimated 13 North Koreans.

July 17, 2003 - South Korea says its troops returned machinegun fire a minute after the North shot at an observation post in the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) buffer between the states.

May 26, 2006 - Two North Korean soldiers enter DMZ and cross into South Korea. They return after South fires warning shots.

July 11, 2008 - South Korean tourist, a 53-year-old housewife, shot dead by North Korean soldier at the Mount Kumgang resort in the North, which is run by companies in the South.

Nov. 10, 2009 - Two Koreas have brief naval fight just south of the NLL that causes damage to vessels on both sides.

Jan. 27, 2010 - Two Koreas exchange artillery fire near the NLL sea border.

March 26, 2010 - South Korean navy ship sinks near disputed Yellow Sea maritime border off the west coast.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Envisionimage]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just think of all those headlines that have to be changed now.

www.alltheinternet.com... shipping weapons to island

Washington - Scottish Newspaper: U.S. Shipping Arms Ahead of ...
Mar 17, 2010 ... Washington - Scottish Newspaper: U.S. Shipping Arms Ahead of Strike ... shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in the ...
www.vosizneias.com/51419/2010/03/17/washington-scottish-newspaper-u

Report: US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran - Israel News ...
Mar 17, 2010 ... Report: US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran ... British military staff are stationed on the island, with more than 3200 US personnel. ...
www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3863920,00.html

No Agenda News: US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran
Mar 18, 2010 ... US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran ... being shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean ahead ...
noagendanews.blogspot.com/2010/03/us-shipping-arms-ahead-of-strike-

US Shipping Arms Ahead Of “Iran Strike”,Petraeus: Iran Bomb Not ...
Mar 17, 2010 ... US Shipping Arms Ahead Of “Iran Strike”,Petraeus: Iran Bomb Not ... shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in the ...
www.politicaltheatrics.net/2010/03/us-shipping-arms-ahead-of-%E2%80

US Shipping Arms ahead of “Iran Strike”, Petraeus: Iran Bomb Not ...
US Shipping Arms ahead of “Iran Strike”, Petraeus: Iran Bomb Not This Year ... bombs are being shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in ... Iran denies it is seeking to build nuclear weapons. Last month, the US ...
abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=181830

LiveLeak.com - Report: US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran
Mar 17, 2010 ... Report: US shipping arms ahead of strike on Iran ... from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean ahead o More. ...
www.liveleak.com/view?i=dec_1268826276

Politics: Report: U.S. Shipping Arms Ahead of Strike On Iran
Report: U.S. Shipping Arms Ahead of Strike On Iran ... US “bunker-buster” bombs are being shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in ...
www.covenantnews.com/politics/archives/067430.html

US shipping (bunker buster) arms ahead of strike on Iran (source ...
US shipping (bunker buster) arms ahead of strike on Iran (source: ... being shipped from California to the British island of Diego Garcia in ...
www.prophecyfellowship.org/showthread.php?t=351485

US shipping hundreds of powerful bunker buster bombs for coming ...
Mar 16, 2010 ... “We would urge the US to clarify its intentions for these weapons, ... About 50 British military staff are stationed on the island, with more than ... One Response to “US shipping hundreds of powerful bunker buster bombs ...
www.infiniteunknown.net/2010/03/16/us-shipping-hundreds-of-powerful

link   
You know what.. I don't support war... BUT... If you have only seen how people in N.Korea live... (if that's what you wanna call it). It is the scariest thing I've ever seen, I'm Persian and I can tell you Iranians freedom compared to N.Korea is like heaven vs. hell. This dictator is the most evil being on earth, the way he has brainwashed these pure hearted innocent people into believing that he's GOD to them.. in this age and day is just wrong....

Someone needs to put him out of his misery and let these people "live", they are slave to the system with absolutely NO freedom what so ever... it breaks my heart, I've shed so many tears watching these documentaries and hidden videos of what "Really" is like to live in N.Korea.

As long it's not US taking N.Korea leaders out... I'm okay with it.. otherwise I know US going to replace their government with their own people for even more control over their people....

If you guys haven't seen much about N.Korea... Google some videos.. it's mind blowing how they live... it's heart breaking one human being can do this to so many others.... it's shockingly sad... yet no one is doing anything... no one... maybe war... is the only answer... it's sad... but i'm out of options... in this day and age, there just isn't enough love in this world to fight this darkness... so one needs to overpower this dictator

and we think we have it bad....

[edit on 26-3-2010 by freighttrain]

link   
^ That looks like a pretty expensive piece of machinery...

What a waste of U.S taxpayer money.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir
But how do you know for sure that north korea was responsible? As a member wisely mentioned previously, *cough* "gulf of tonkin" *cough*

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012
Because 9-11 was used as a reason to invade afghanistan, just as the war fiends are using this event as a reason to attack north korea.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Damn! It's cold there. Water temp is about 50 deg. F. If that crew wasn't wearing immersion suits when they went into the water it is unlikely that there is going to be very many survivors. Hypothermia and exposure are fairly quick killers in those conditions.

My main concern about this aside from professional curiocity is SK's reaction. Most of the incidents in the past have resulted in a small number of lives lost. They were fairly easy for the Government to brush aside. I haven't seen any reports of confirmed survivors yet so there is no way to judge how this will come out. If the loss of life is large, public opinion may force the SK government to retaliate.

At least nobody is blaming this on Bush yet, but give Obama time.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
UPDATE:
www.abs-cbnnews.com...

South Korea's government called an emergency meeting but a presidential spokeswoman said it was still unclear whether the sinking resulted from a clash with North Korea.

A South Korean naval vessel opened fire on an unidentified object but it was later found to be a flock of birds, the joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]
That has got to be the most ridiculous cover-up story I've heard to date...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

ok thanks, i wanted a real answer wasnt being a twit thanks

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smirnoffsky

Thank god I'm not the only person that found that headline to be insane..."A flock of birds"...really?...I'm no expert on naval radar systems but I'm fairly confident that it can discern between a flock of birds and a threat to a warship. Any naval folks on here feel free to educate me on this one...

Overall, the next 12 hours I think will be tense...The emergency meeting of the SK security council will surely set something in motion, whether it be announcement of a new policy or worse...

I also find it hard to believe that they can't confirm the identity of the other ship? Can we at least verify that it was a warship?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Their people can't be stupid enough to believe that. The SK government must be desperate to avoid a conflict.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixDemon

I also find it hard to believe that they can't confirm the identity of the other ship? Can we at least verify that it was a warship?

That was probably... a flock of birds too?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Maybe Kim Jong-Il has taken Charlemagne's approach: "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky"

Seriously, if it were birds they were firing, was it the birds that sunk the ship too? This is definitely a cover-up.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join