It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not just Honey Bees, Bats Frogs other amphibians dying, but that species are crashing worldwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Not only is the Honey Bees dying at high rates so are Bats read about at www.msnbc.msn.com......
Frogs and other amphibians dying at alarming rates, say scientists • Some frog populations have declined 95 to 98% in size
guardian.co.uk, and I have this articale Insect deaths add to extinction fears
British survey hints that species are crashing worldwide.
by Michael Hopkin
Nature News
www.bioedonline.org...
Print this article Register for updates when new articles are posted Discuss this article
Ecologists have unveiled strong evidence that huge numbers of the world's species are disappearing. A survey of British wildlife suggests that insects - thought to be among the most resilient species - are suffering similar extinction rates to larger, better-studied animals.

If the same is happening worldwide, we may be witnessing the largest die-off since the mass extinction that killed the dinosaurs, says Jeremy Thomas of the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Dorset, UK, who led the study in this week's Science1.

Thomas's team analysed surveys of British birds, plants and butterflies stretching back 40 years. The statistics, collected by 20,000 amateur naturalists, form an unprecedented census of insects. "No dataset approaches this detail and scale anywhere in the world," Thomas says.

The researchers divided Britain into 10-kilometre squares and counted the number of squares occupied by each species. Of 58 butterfly species, 71% have declined or disappeared over the past 20 years, alongside 54% of birds. The past 40 years has seen declines in 28% of plants studied.

Experts had assumed that the sheer number of insects would safeguard them against mass extinction. "The gloomy result is that this group has declined massively," says Thomas. As insects comprise more than 50% of the planet's species, a large die-off would be bad news for global diversity, he adds.

The sixth extinction?
"This study provides further evidence that the world is facing another major extinction crisis," warns Michael Rands, director of UK conservation group BirdLife International.

There have been five such events since the birth of multicellular life 600 million years ago. In each, 65-95% of the world's species died out. No one is claiming that current species loss has reached this rate, Thomas concedes. "But it's accelerating," he warns. "If nothing is done, we're going lose a lot more species."

Thomas and his team attribute the British trend to habitat loss. Across the world, Thomas says, habitat preservation will be the first line of defence against species loss.

A second study in Science2 shows that another reason for species decline, in Britain at least, is nitrogen pollution. A team led by Carly Stevens of the Open University in Milton Keynes, UK, examined 68 grasslands around the British Isles and found that higher nitrogen pollution means fewer species.

Soils in Britain and Central Europe receive an average of 17 kilograms of nitrogen compounds per hectare per year, mostly from fossil-fuel burning and intensive livestock farming. This pollution could kill 20% of grassland species, Stevens warns.

We need to act now to reduce this, says Stevens. Once biodiversity begins to decline, it is very difficult to prevent it crashing, she says: "If you keep taking enough bricks out of the wall, the wall's going to fall down."

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Yep! It's getting bad and I fear it will get a lot worse. It will have to get a lot worse for people to take notice.

It's a shame and it's more of a shame because people won't wake up to the fact that the Planet is dying. Let's face it, anyone of these extinctions could mean the extinction of the Human Race..

What gave us the right to destroy the Habitats of these Animals and such?

I have no idea if we can fix it and I damn well know it has to fixed but I think it's way too late. Warming of the Planet and Pollution have taken their toll on the Wildlife and I just wonder what will become of the rest of the Wildlife if some of these species do, in fact, become extinct?

The Planet is Dying and needs help. I wonder if will ever get the help it needs?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
I have no idea if we can fix it and I damn well know it has to fixed but I think it's way too late. Warming of the Planet and Pollution have taken their toll on the Wildlife and I just wonder what will become of the rest of the Wildlife if some of these species do, in fact, become extinct?

I think "trying to fix it" is what is causing these problems in the first place. Chemtrails or geoengineering could be responsible for CCD.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the day when people realize that 2012 is real. Only a matter of time before there are simply too many coincidences. Then the panic will begin, but it will be too late. Why do you think the government wanted all their underground bunkers, and the seed vault built before the end of 2009? Because they know the economy is going to crash in 2010, and won't be able to afford to build these things later. The panic will set in, and they'll all be living the undergound life while we fight for supplies and food, only to be wiped out. To any of your 2012 debunkers, I just want to you to answer me one question. If you believe the 2012 theories are false, and nothing is going to happen. Then explain to me,

The Georgia Guidestones + Denver Airport = ???

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I fail to see how the deaths of these animals are interconnected with the misinterpretation of the Mayan Calendar and the pseudoscientific speculation and new age nonsense put out by 2012 Doomsday proponents.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

I fail to see how the deaths of these animals are interconnected with the misinterpretation of the Mayan Calendar and the pseudoscientific speculation and new age nonsense put out by 2012 Doomsday proponents.

I like how you completely avoided my question

The Georgia Guidestones + Denver Airport = ???

It seems not one of you debunkers is willing to take that question on. Because you know you can't. Those two things, are proof that something is coming. Proof isn't going to get any better than that until its happening. Because obviously the government or scientists aren't going to come out and say, yep, end of the world in 2012. Everyone would panic. They aren't going to tell anyone, ever, if it is true. They will disprove of it until the day comes. But soon, there will be too many coincidences, and people will start to realize it. It's already starting now. All the earthquakes, global warming, the bizarre weather. Bees dying, many other animals dying. Not to mention polar bears dying. Tigers are going extinct. Most of the smaller animals, bees and bats, and frogs.... They all rely on the earths magnetic field to survive. Birds do as well. So obviously there is something wrong with the magnetic field. It is not working like it used to. There is evidence this has happened in the past. Ancient civilizations had technology like we do today. There are many things that we can't figure out about the ancients, because we don't take into consideration that the ancients were much more advanced than we think. But whatever, keep telling yourself that 2012 has no importance what so ever. It's only talked about in every single ancient civilzation thoughout time, but that doesn't mean anything. They were stupid back then, thats why they're dead now. We know best. We're more intelligent than the oldies. We can't figure out how to build a pyramid, but that's old school. People are so ignorant, we deserve to be wiped out.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by xxshadowfaxx]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Not getting political here but does with these type groups of insects and animals dying does this not sound like global cooling?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
can it be just mere coincedence that the arctic is going to be ice free for the first time EVER by 2020, that all these insects and amphibians are dying by the thousands, millions even..? is it mere coincedence that thew orld conencted economic life is on life support? that the temple mount is just full of violence right now, that tensions in the mid east are at all time highs? america is moving missles to diego garcia, iran and syria moving missle to lebanon.. crazy times , scary even...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Don't worry its just coincidence. At least, its just coincidence to 90% of the world.

Everyone is too busy caring about their next paycheck to even read the news anymore. I'm so fed up. Nobody is going to wake up til its too late. There isn't even much point in trying.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I know this is a serious issue.. but I'd like to let everyone know that the bees are in full force this year in the southern US. Managed to get stung for the first time in years the other day... heh. Really though there haven't been as many in the past few years, but they are everywhere around my place now.

Maybe the majority of the populace is shifting together to avoid harmful (and weird) weather, and to help themselves survive via power in numbers..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dunno.

*wonders off to study migratory patterns...*

[edit on 18-3-2010 by ganja]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Some 200,000-2,000,000 species were lost last century. Approximately 30-50% of the remaining species are expected to be extinct by the end of this century on our current trajectory. I'm flabbergasted how people are so incredibly unaware of this all.

Seriously, how do people not see this? I've been aware of this since I turned a teenager. All one really has to do is look around to see the evidence around you. 15 years after my discovery, the rate of acceleration is still mindboggling.

The highest conspiracy that I'm aware of is depopulation, only it's not a conspiracy. The elite openly discuss about this. It must and will happen. People like to think of human beings as separate from mother earth and other animal species.
How utterly naive and foolish of us!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Are they really dead? One of the mysteries of it all is that you don't find them in mass numbers dead or anything. That is what is odd to me at least.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

It's hard to reproduce when you're struggling for your own life...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think its a combination of things.

1) Humans emproaching on Animal Life by adding pollution, overstressing the ecosystem.
2) Poles shifting
3) Harmonics missing, Nature produces Harmonics and when one sound is gone, it is replaced by another, the more species *animal and plant life* disappear the more difficult it becomes to keep their ecosystem healthy.

Each I would say are interconnected.

Fox

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I didn't say anything about the guidestones because I didn't read past your first sentence.

In your first sentence you claimed 2012 was real and since every claim made by 2012 proponents has been hollow speculation, pseudoscience, new age babble or statements showing ignorance in ancient history I assumed whatever was in the rest of your post fit one of those categories.

The Georgia Guidestones have even less to do with the death of species, which is what this thread is about, than they have to do with 2012. The Guidestones, near as we can tell, were built by some eccentric person or group. Certainly the stones are a bit odd but they are hardly proof of a sinister depopulation agenda and are not connected to 2012 in anyway.

As for the Denver mural it to is a bit odd but like many pieces of art it is open to interpretation and there is no sign that it is connected to 2012.

That's one of the main issues with 2012, just look at this thread. People seem to combine a web of a thousand different theories all to this one paper thin premise that something will happen in 2012. We don't know the future, no one can predict it and the Mayan Calendar has as much to do with Doomsday as the death of these species have to do with the Mayan Calendar (there is no connection).

We should solve the problem, figure out what is killing these animals and put a stop to it. Sitting back and saying its all part of an inevitable doomsday isn't going to help anyone.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

This encompasses most of the theories surrounding 2012, but are these really theories? All except for Planet X and Black Holes, have happened in our history, be it recorded or scientific research. This is not to try and create mass hysteria, but this is fact proven many times over, and anyone with the proper knowledge can attest to this. How 2012 falls in to these cyclic patterns above in fact is a cycle, or pattern of change. Sometime this is good, and other times bad. We can only look at out past history, the history of the Earth to formulate a hypothesis of things to come. The main reason people put the Mayan calendar with the 2012 theory is simple, and understandable, but no real proof or break through's have been. Because the Earth has been around for millions of years, cycles that affect us today are relatively miniscule compared to the big picture. Ice Ages come and go, this is proven, but what triggers these are still mysterious to us even today. There are even indication that the planet went into an Ice Age within a few hours due to a Supervolcano that erupted and clouded the sky. So in short, there are cycles greater than what you may have come to understand, or even believe, but again we are just talking about the Earth. Outside or atmosphere and even our Galaxy, there are many wars being waged between one Galaxy and another, another cycle. Also 2012 which involves many fields of science and prophesies, spiritual, and traditions of people and much more. We do not claim to know all. 2012 is about known facts. Some are scientific facts, accepted by the scientific establishment. Other facts are simply the reported beliefs and predictions of famous people - Edgar Cayce, Nostradamus, Ramtha, Albert Einstein, and the Mayan Indians- to name a few. What they said may not be true. But it is a fact that they said it. Many great prophets have predicted extreme earth-changes and disasters to occur near the current millennium. Based on Mayan calendar prophecy and will focus on the necessity of being spiritually prepared for the great mega-changes ahead--social, political, economic, terrestrial, extra-terrestrial, galactic, and Universal...a New Era of self responsibility where we understand there are no saviors outside of us. We are here at this great moment of Transition not by accident, but by design, as we all have gifts to offer one another to ease us through as Intended. May we share of ourselves with the greatest respect, compassion and Love in the Co-Creation of a New World together and remember its up to you Draw your own conclusions.
Remember—Mother Nature takes no prisoners— gives no quarter—and remains uncontrollable.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ddarkangle2bad

Did you just say the Earth has been around for millions of years? Pretty sure its in the billions... but yeah I guess you could convert 4.5 Billion years into millions if you wanted to

You're all over the place, like most 2012 theorists, going on about cycles then turning around and mentioning Galactic wars. 2012 involves no science whatsoever, it does involve a lot of pseudoscience and pseudo-spiritual nonsense almost acting like a nexus or theory of everything connecting all hair-brained theories into a massive web of nonsense. This web artificially supports the theory but half the things connected to 2012 by proponents have nothing to do with it and many of the ideas connected to 2012 are unverified in and of themselves. Cycles of extinction are only one hypothesis and are entirely unrelated to the Mayan Calendars end date.

No prophet has ever been great. Prophecy and predictions of the future are often vague or self-fulfilling and none have ever shown to be true. 2012 is not about facts. It might be connected to 2012 in the minds of 2012 believers but it actually has no connection whatsoever.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

new topics

top topics

join