It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar on the Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've been wondering, since I started lurking ATS long ago...

How is it that a community discussing some of the most complex social issues in the world cannot dot its collective "I's"? How do these people grow up without knowing the difference between "your" and "you're"? Why on earth, when this is your own native language can you not differentiate between "there", "their" and "they're"!?

I'm no "grammar nazi", and I don't expect perfection as nobody can be perfect, especially me. But the general laziness is disgusting!! "Hey man, it's the internet!!"

Yeah, it's the World Wide Web, care to not make yourself look like a blithering fool? This is the most intellectual discussion forum I've stumbled upon thus far, and seeing brilliant minds be so damned lazy is quite irritating. Most of the world is bi-lingual, that is an irrefutable fact, around the world people learn more than one language, so for you to not even use your own correctly is bewildering!

Can anybody explain to me, why it is so widely acceptable to be so lazy with your linguistics because it's the internet, when in fact the internet ought to be the more scrutinous zone for things like this?

If I'm just nitpicking, let me know
, but I can't stand people who spew unnecessary apostrophes out of every orifice!!! Every plural word does not require an apostrophe!!

And bad spellers, I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to those who are too lazy to use a # spell check when all one has to do is RIGHT CLICK.

-Louie

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
ATS is an international community where English is not the first, second or even third language of many. Therefore you can not expect them to write perfect English. And most often, there is no way of knowing whether the author of a post speaks English as their first, second, third, etc.

Also, people are not writing college thesis here, many are writing from their phones or while doing a bunch of stuff at once and maybe have errors in their response due to a variety of issues.

Please keep these things to keep in mind before judging a post on spelling and grammar

I will be honest and say that it really bothers me when people create threads like this and bash people based on people posting in a casual writing environment. I'm actually way more casual in my emails and chatting.

These threads are completely offensive and add nothing to the community.

[edit on March 14th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
S&F

This gets to me too. I will pretty much ignore an entire post and its contents if the authors grammar is bad. I was just reading a post and the person used the word 'sense' instead of since and 'bin' instead of been.

I'm not a grammar nazi either and believe the only people this hurts is the authors and their credibility.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmor79
S&F

This gets to me too. I will pretty much ignore an entire post and its contents if the authors grammar is bad. I was just reading a post and the person used the word 'sense' instead of since and 'bin' instead of been.

I'm not a grammar nazi either and believe the only people this hurts is the authors and their credibility.

And do you know if English was their first language?

It is a shame that people are trashing others based on these things and completely ignoring their posts because of it. I could understand if this was a college classroom and you were a professor grading our posts.

But come on. This is a casual environment with MANY MANY MANY people that do not speak English first.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
ATS is an international community where English is not the first, second or even third language of many. Therefore you can not expect them to write perfect English. And most often, there is no way of knowing whether the author of a post speaks Enlish as their first, second, third, etc.

Also, people are not writing college thesis here, many are writing from their phones or while doing a bunch of stuff at once and maybe have errors in their response due to a variety of issues.

Please keep these things to keep in mind before judging a post on spelling and grammar

I will be honest and say that it really bothers me when people create threads like this and bash people based on people posting in a casual writing environment. Im actualy way more casual in my emails and chatting.

Did you read the OP? I said I was talking about people whose native language is English, so discard your comment there. Discard the comment about expecting perfect English, as I originally stated in plain English that I wasn't expecting perfect English. Why would anybody be "doing a bunch of stuff at once" while writing on ATS? Finally, show me any part of my post where I "bashed people".

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by KyleOrtonArmy

I read it. And there is no way of knowing if someone speaks English as their FIRST NATIVE language.

And why? Lets see. Im a mom and student and moderator and member and pet owner. I often do MANY things at once, while posting on ATS. That is life.

And yes, you do seem to want perfection or else you would not create this thread.

And I still find the thread offensive.

And I let you know.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I agree with you to a certain extent, as it is something that tends to get on my nerves too.

However I realise some members first language might not be English and I realise that I can sometimes be prone to little mistakes here and there just as much as any user.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

In my experience, the people who use English as a second or third language are better at it than most Americans. My experience isn't just on ATS, it's the WWW as a whole.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I read it. And there is no way of knowing if someone speaks English as their FIRST NATIVE language.

And why? Lets see. Im a mom and student and moderator and member and pet owner. I often do MANY things at once, while posting on ATS. That is life. And yes, you do seem to want perfection or else you would not create this thread.

And I still find the thread offensive.

So because you're a mother and own a pet you shouldn't have to write in proper English?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I agree, everyone makes mistakes. It's the blatant ignorance that is a bother to me.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
They can call me old-fashioned, but I agree with you entirely. You ask "How can people grow up not knowing the differences?" Perhaps part of the reason is that these things may not be taught as rigorously as they were when I was at school. Another factor might be an obsession with speed.
Never mind. As the old Cockneys might put it, "We'll soon learn 'em to write English proper like wot we do".

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You asked me:

Why would anybody be "doing a bunch of stuff at once" while writing on ATS?

And I answered you as to why people would be doing a bunch of stuff at once.

Wow. Very angry responses. I will leave the thread now. I see nothing productive coming from it.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Glad someone pointed it out. S&F.

I don't think it has anything to do with first, second, or third languages.
Most of the grammar and spelling is correct, but there are those words that get flipped around which can be very annoying to try reading along. Examples..

our = are.
they're = there.
there = they're.
where = were/wear.
you're = your.

there's almost no difference in the amount or characters typed, so why not focus on using the right ones?

this is all over the place, not just here, and have been increasing lately.
maybe it's just another way the universe is trying to communicate with us, doesn't always have to be numbers. lol

link   
When reading various posts or arguments, I usually base a substantial amount of the writer's credibility on their grammar and spelling.

link   
There are little mistakes that people make and then there is total ignorance and people who really don't care.

You need only visit Facebook to see the poor state of some people's spelling and grammar.

link   
My view is that ATS is a venue to exchange ideas, knowledge, cultures etc..

As long as you can communicate your thoughts in a way that others understand what you are attempting to share, that's all that matters.

Grammar while helpful to make one's point, is not a requirement, and for me the least important factor when reading what members' share with the community.

link   
I do find it annoying, when someone' native tongue is English, they feel they have a amazing thing to say, and they misspell several words, or use leet or text speak.

I read a lot, and not taking the time to give your presentation the best you can give it just... seems lazy.

This IS a discussion board, which ultimately means you are debating points of views, or discussing your views with others. Your ability to share your ideas will go a long way towards impressing others with your ideas.

However, this is the wrong forums for this sort of statement, it really belongs over in the rant forum on BTS.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There are many dialects of English...here in the States alone there are almost too many to count.

You've got the Northeastern dialect. New York city alone must have four or five... Boston... Maine...

Then there's the South. The Deeeeep south... Louisiana... Texas...

My point is: What's proper English? Or proper language of any sort? I find that I speak/type much the same as I type/speak...little to no difference. Minus the swearing, but that's about it.

If a person can get his/her/it's(for the aliens amongst us) point across in a cogent manner, who cares how they express themselves...?

Americans speak American, related to English, yet becoming as these things do, more and more distinct from it.

Proper English. Proper American. Not exactly the same anymore, if they ever were.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyleOrtonArmy

, but I can't stand people who spew unnecessary apostrophes out of every orifice!!! Every plural word does not require an apostrophe!!

Multiple exclamation marks or question marks are a clear sign of amateurish writing.

The following sentence seems unprofessional, and the triple punctuation is simply redundant:

That was really great!!!

Excessive use of exclamation marks and question marks also dilutes their effectiveness. Consider the following over-punctuated examples:

"Oh, my God!!!", he exclaimed.
Ring now for great bargains!!!
"Are you sure???"

Restrict yourself to a single exclamation mark or question mark at a time. In the unlikely event that you need more emphasis, try adding initial capitals, italics or bold face.

www.betterwritingskills.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x
Glad someone pointed it out. S&F.

I don't think it has anything to do with first, second, or third languages.
Most of the grammar and spelling is correct, but there are those words that get flipped around which can be very annoying to try reading along. Examples..

our = are.
they're = there.
there = they're.
where = were/wear.
you're = your.

there's almost no difference in the amount or characters typed, so why not focus on using the right ones?

this is all over the place, not just here, and have been increasing lately.
maybe it's just another way the universe is trying to communicate with us, doesn't always have to be numbers. lol

Jaden explains in a less frustrated manner exactly what I'm talking about.

Thank you, Jaden.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join