It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoax broadcast causes panic in Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Hoax broadcast causes panic in Georgia

alturl.com

Panic gripped Georgia after a pro-government television station broadcast a fake report that Russian tanks had entered the capital Tbilisi.
The fake report, which was broadcast on Saturday by the pro-government
station Imedi TV, said that Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili had been killed in the Russian invasion.
Imedi TV later stated that the aim of the broadcast was to show the "real
threat" of how events may unfold.
Imedi used archive pictures from the 2008 war that showed advancing Russian tanks.
Dozens of angry Georgians later rallied outside the television station to protest against the report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.beta.rian.ru
en.beta.rian.ru
en.rian.ru
(ed. to fix layout)

[edit on 14/3/2010 by internos]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I saw this on the news some hour ago, I was almost going to laugh, but when I saw the reaction of the people I've changed my mind. They were really panicked, shocked and angry outside the TV station: scenes of panic have been reported from everywhere.
Given what happened back in 2008, to label what they did as stupid
would be an understatement: to clown about war is something that goes beyond my understanding. Also the County's authorities didn't enjoy the prank, see:
Georgian official calms public, slams TV for fake invasion report, finally the TV channel apologized.

Source
(My apologies if it's a repost)
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/3/2010 by internos]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wow, It seems to me that a stunt like that could actually cause an armed conflict.

I totally agree with you Internos, Joking around about war is not funny.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
My only question is what in the hell were they thinking?

Reminds me of when Air Force One did a low flyby over Manhattan back in April that had the same effect.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
A test of reaction maybe?

Either way - stay safe -stay cool

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Jeeez, that would be like a news station broadcasting a hoax story about another 9/11 attack.

Bad form.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Lol that is pretty funny, at first i thought it was the Georgia in USA. And i was thinking even the people who live in georgia would not fall for that. But then i saw it was that georgia. That one is not so funny (but i still laughed). I guess it would be simillar to NBC making a fake 9/11 type ordeal 2 years after the fact.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

G'day internos

What a crazy thing!

It sounds like something out of a movie where Will Ferrell is running a TV station!

And then to add insult to injury, the reporter states they won't even get their butts properly kicked.....

Absolutely bizarre.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Some sources report that they've put some disclaimer before showing the video: why the panic then? And why even Interfax reported it, taking it VERY seriously? How comes so many missed the disclaimer?

12:09Georgia's Imedi television may face sanctions for bogus war

10:39Polling stations open across Russia, no violations registered – Central Elections Commission

March 13, 2010
21:45Panic, heart attacks rise in Tbilisi, Gori after false report about -Russian invasion- (Part 2)

21:30START TREATY ALMOST READY, DATE FOR DOCUMENT SIGNATURE CAN BE SET - MEDVEDEV, OBAMA

21:26Panic, heart attacks rise in Tbilisi, Gori after false report about -Russian invasion-

21:16Abkhaz leader refuses to comment on Georgian hoax

21:00South Ossetians alarmed by false Georgian TV report

20:11Georgian TV hoax “provocation” – Kokoity (Part 2)

20:09Georgian TV hoax “provocation” – Kokoity

20:07Reports about Russian invasion, Saakashvili murder just “possible scenario” – Imedi TV

19:52SITUATION ABSOLUTELY CALM ON GEORGIAN-OSSETIAN BORDER, REPORTED FLARE-UPS A PROVOCATION – KOKOITY

19:49REPORTS ABOUT RUSSIAN TROOPS’ INVASION AND SAAKASHVILI MURDER WERE JUST SCENARIO OF “POSSIBLE EVENTS” – GEORGIAN IMEDI TV CHANNEL

19:41GEORGIAN TV CHANNEL REPORTS SENSATIONAL STORY ABOUT RUSSIA ALLEGEDLY BEGINNING INVASION AND PRESIDENT SAAKASHVILI’S MURDER, OTHER SOURCES DO NOT CONFIRM REPORT

19:31Ukrainian defense company facilities hit by shell explosion

www.interfax.com...
And it seems, according to interfax itself, that even heart attacks have been reported.

Now there's this news:
Georgia's Imedi television may face sanctions for bogus war

TBILISI. March 14 (Interfax) - The Georgian national Regulatory Commission on Communications believes Imedi television has breached the Broadcasting Code of Conduct when it aired a special report on the possible "Russian military invasion" on Saturday.
Italic Mosiashvili, a member of the commission, told reporters on Sunday the Monday meeting of the Commission will address the possible sanctions on Imedi.
"We are calling on the people who have been hurt to yesterday's report to write to us and we will consider all complaints individually," Mosiashvili said.

Now, what if someone has died by heart attack? Shouldn't they be charged for manslaughter or something like that, instead of just for breaching the Broadcasting Code of Conduct?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
An interesting piece of news to be sure.

Seems incredibly stupid of the producers of the show to allow something like this to run amok especially with the internet taking over TV has a means of reliable unbiased news.

I'd like to see how this blooms.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well they did say it was only a scenario before and after they aired the clips. No doubt it was stupid on behalf of the broadcaster but for those that just tuned in half way through and didn't bother to listen 'till the end... well, you got punk'd!

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I wouldn't be shocked if somebody attacked the tv station.

That was a terrible thing to do.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Im going to watch the video of people freaking out here ina second, I just wanted to say that this whole situation reminds me of the fake radio hoax "War Of The Worlds" alien invasion.

But yea..this is kind of cruel.

Think of if that happened here in America. Wooooey.

Ok..Im off to watch people panic.

-EDIT TO ADD-

Ok I watched the video.
What caught my attention in the video though was when the reporter asked the other reporter "Will anyone be held responsible?"
The female reporter replies "Probably not, all three channels are under strict government control"
Well if the Channel is under Government control, then the Georgian Govt THEMSELVES are to blame for letting this air for 30 minutes knowing that it was causing panic. WHY would the Georgian Govt even ALLOW this in the first place? Because it was their first show? I doubt it, I smell ANOTHER conspiracy.

But still, all in all, besides the lack of decency from their govt, and the fear they put their people through, this situation gets a
from me.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
If it's on TV then it's real.
They are preparing people for occupation. This is the beginning.

It is logical.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Very close to the Orson Welles broadcast of War of the Worlds. There was general panic then too.

Here's a scary thought. The radio station is pro-government, so what if they were hoping to spark something off? Things have been quiet lately and that's not a good thing if you want action.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Hi Internos

It is just another mind control trick to ensure that people won't vote for a pro Russian president.

The recent election in the Ukraine with Yulia Tymoshenko losing to a more pro Russian candidate makes this more plausible.

Probably the MKULTRA mind contol experts are deeply involved.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Interesting,

Makes me think of the "hard count" in American football.
It's used to provoke the opposing team into acting prematurely thus drawing a foul.

They wanted to test the reaction to the false news?
Who's reaction though?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Its as if they intended to incite the fake belife of an invasion to maybe entice conflict.

Something of this magnatude should clearly cause distressing thoughts, and the fact that the local media would do the story on the idea that ''this is what could happen.''

On that basis, World wide media better run the ''ALIENS HAVE LANDED" storys to show what 'could happen'...

Daft. Causing panic to an already fearfull nation.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Im not a religious person but it does remind me of. "Jesus answered and said to them . . .

'And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars.

See that you are not troubled;

for all these things must come to pass,

but the end is not yet. [Still before the Rapture and the 'Apocalypse']

For nation [ethnic group] will rise against nation [ethnic group],

and kingdom [country] against kingdom [country] . . .

All these are the beginning of sorrows [actual translation is "birth pangs"]

[As with "birth pangs" they will grow closer]

(Matt 24:6-7)

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This seems very similar to when CNN just ran their fake "cyberwar" bit. It seems like more than a coincidence if you ask me. Seems to me that it is pretty obvious that these "news" outlets are doing a lot more than just giving us the news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join