It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agricultural Research Service sends third shipment to "Seed Vault"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Lots of cool stuff seems to happen in Norway, doesnt it?

A shipment of seed sent by the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) earlier this month to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Norway included a wild Russian strawberry that an expeditionary team braved bears and volcanoes to collect. The seed shipment--ARS' third since January 2008--included wild and cultivated soybeans, semi-dwarf wheat and rice cultivars, and other samples maintained in the agency's National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS). ARS' goal, over the next 10 to 15 years, is have the majority of the system's 511,000 collections stored in the vault, which is administered by Norway's Nordic Genetic Resources Center together with the Global Crop Diversity Trust.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4700cf12c52e.jpg[/atsimg]

If you havent heard about the seed vault:
It is on an archipelago in Norway. The bank was created as a backup storage option for genebanks around the world. Now, I always wonder why the private sector isnt more involved in science. I also wonder why people like Bill Gates doesnt contibute.

Well, Bill Gates does. He helps pay for the operation of the vault. However, Norway paid for most of the construction.

The vault is also used as a backup in the instance of "global catastrophe".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b8dc1642cde.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyway, I just thought it was cool!
Source

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I approve of this.

We're going to need all those seeds after 2012

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GeneralRipper

2012?!!

Youre assuming we dont blow each other up before then!!

I think it's a neat idea also. Its the "noahs ark" for plants.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It looks like a giant computer tower.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yeah..that's my artist's rendition of it...I took my old Dell outside and...

Kidding.

I thought the same thing. I couldnt find any pictures of the inside of it. I bet it looks really cool, though.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralRipper
I approve of this.

We're going to need all those seeds after 2012

Are you kidding me, we could use some of those seeds now, but they are not for you or I, it's for the Elite. When they get rid of us they will have NON-GMO seeds to plant to feed and keep healthy, the slaves that will suffer at their hands.

Why don't people get that, TPTB hate general society and will not help us, they want to depopulate. So storing good fresh and rare seeds is for the Elite only. It is not for you or I, sorry. I would like to think that is not true, but reality is a harsh thing sometimes.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

Shame, I was really looking forward to some wild Russian strawberries with cream

All kidding aside, you seem to automatically assume that these seeds are going to be used by the Elite. Now I know you can't trust the government, and very probably you're right about what they really want to do with these seeds. But if NWO doesn't succeed, we will need these seeds.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by GeneralRipper]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
O.K. I have a question....It would appear that the vault is located in a really cold and out of the way place, if the world does go to hell in a hand basket, how are they going to go there and retrieve them? Also, someone posted a link to this vault a while back that does show the inside..i couldn't find it tho..

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Doomsday Seed Vault Hits A Milestone

Despite the rapid progress, Fowler said the bank still has significant holes in its collection.

"There are a few unique collections that we don't have up there yet — Ethiopia and some of the Indian materials and some of the Chinese materials," he said.

Whether it's a simple—if extensive—stockpile against famine, or a stockpile against 2012 (or any other impending disaster, for that matter), they sure are working hard to fill this thing!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

You know, I thought the same thing.

It's quite a remote area.

Glad Im an avid hiker/climber

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Seed storage is a good idea, but in light of all the recent earthquakes, is deep underground really a good place? I do hope they have a backup plan to the backup plan or are they putting all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

I guess we know what seed vault needs breaking into...

Does anyone have a personal plane? I could Tom Cruise (praise Xenu) my way in Mission Impossible style and we could commence the appropriation of such fine resources for the ATS community.

Don't worry, this message isn't likely to self-destruct.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

I'm thinking this IS the backup plan. You know, bringing hundreds of thousands of seeds in one place is already a huge operation. I doubt they have the resources to make several of these seed vaults.

top topics

join