It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House considers military trial for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
An amazing reversal by the obama administration if this comes to pass. Also a slap in the face to Attorney General Holder who basically would get his feet cut out from under him. And what about the the far left, who will consider this just another campaign promise betrayal.

CNN article

White House advisers are considering recommending alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed be tried in a military court instead of a civilian one in New York City, a senior administration official told CNN on Friday.
In November, Attorney General Eric Holder announced his intention to try Mohammed in a New York civilian court.
"I am confident in the ability of our courts to provide these defendants a fair trial, just as they have for over 200 years," Holder said last month. "The alleged 9/11 conspirators will stand trial in our justice system before an impartial jury under long-established rules and procedures."
A firestorm of opposition erupted from both New York officials and top Republicans after Holder's announcement.

Just

[edit on 3/5/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Some are also theorizing that this reversal would be done as a way of trying to take some heat off congressional democrats in tough races this fall in preparation for the health care votes. Democrats could be telling the obama administration that to give them a break on at least something instead of forcing them to vote on one unpopular measure after another leading up to the November elections.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Number two.

Ever since I heard he was going to be tried in civilian court, I couldn't help but wonder what the right to a speedy trial actually means.

Could it be that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed right to a speedy trial has been violated?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Number two.

Ever since I heard he was going to be tried in civilian court, I couldn't help but wonder what the right to a speedy trial actually means.

Could it be that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed right to a speedy trial has been violated?

Yes, after the Blackwater trail was botched by government prosecutors, any civilian trial for KSM was just another huge mistake waiting to happen.

Can you imagine the uproar if KSM got released on some prosecutorial mistake and then just sent home to think up ways to attack us again?

That would surely signal the end of obama's chances for a 2nd term, just as the iran hostage crisis did Carter in - if obama still even has a chance at a 2nd term.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If the case went all the way to the jury, I really think there would be little chance of him getting off.

But for some reason, I don't think this case would ever reach the jury. I just think there have been too many mistakes already.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Number two.

Yes, after the Blackwater trail was botched by government prosecutors, any civilian trial for KSM was just another huge mistake waiting to happen.

Can you imagine the uproar if KSM got released on some prosecutorial mistake and then just sent home to think up ways to attack us again?

That would surely signal the end of obama's chances for a 2nd term, just as the iran hostage crisis did Carter in - if obama still even has a chance at a 2nd term.

A suspect being released by govt misconduct, or due to being found innocent.. is a cornerstone of what allegedly makes the american justice system the so called "best in the world".. anyone who got their panties in a wad of uproar over the US justice system working would be displaying their ignorance of blind justice.

The bushbama regimes would rather send this murder suspect to a soviet style quick and easy pre-hanging show trial.. so they can then claim all their evil boogie man official US govt propaganda was proven valid.

A fair open process would definitely expose too many official 9/11 lies and let the nation see first hand the extent of US government sanctioned cruelty.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

A suspect being released by govt misconduct, or due to being found innocent.. is a cornerstone of what allegedly makes the american justice system the so called "best in the world".. anyone who got their panties in a wad of uproar over the US justice system working would be displaying their ignorance of blind justice.

I don't see anybody here getting their panties in an uproar.

In an interview given yesterday to the Washington Post, Attorney General Eric Holder suggested that the White House might abandon giving Khalid Sheikh Mohammed a civilian trial entirely, though he insisted that it was not his personal preference to do so.
Attorney General Holder

Holder insisted that in practice “I’m not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding.” Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was initially set to face a civilian trial in New York City.

news.antiwar.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

The bushbama regimes would rather send this murder suspect to a soviet style quick and easy pre-hanging show trial.. so they can then claim all their evil boogie man official US govt propaganda was proven valid.

A fair open process would definitely expose too many official 9/11 lies and let the nation see first hand the extent of US government sanctioned cruelty.

Step back and look at the bigger picture.

KSM has already admitted his guilt, and he's proud of it. So, letting him go due justice department foolishness so he can blow up more buildings and kill more people doesn't concern you? That's pretty cold ...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is definitely the right place for his trial. He declared his own personal war on the USA and has admitted his guilt.

Military courts are effective and if they are good enough for our military people, then they are good enough for him.

Also has the benefit of not being turned into a ten ring circus by the media and the local courthouse being targeted by every terrorist group out there.

In the non-military courts, his lawyers could delay for years and years just racking up those legal expenses all of which would be paid for by the taxpayers.

He will get a much faster trial in the military court.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There was no other way to do it. Robert Gibbs and Obama both have already admitted KSM's guilt over live TV, so there's no possible way to get a fair jury (as if there were before) of peers.

This has been a circus from the start, and can't possibly get any better. I have a really bad feeling that KSM is going to somehow end up freed.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Just a few questions...

Did KSM confess under torture?

I'm not a big fan of Military tribunals or courts as Habeas Corpus is suspended. That right should be extended to all, reguardless of where or who; otherwise it's not justice; it's revenge.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
KSM was, I think, out of uniform when he was captured. That makes him not subject to the Geneva Conventions.

He probably should have been executed on the spot. That would have saved us all a lot of agonizing.

As it is, it's hard to know now what to do with him. Whatever status he had when he was captured is no longer relevant. Technically, he's not really entitled to a trial.

It looks good as far as international P.R. for the U.S.A. to appear fair enough to give him a trial before we execute him. But we can't possibly let him go.

Now the Obama administration is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Of the two options IMO the military tribunal is the best choice.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Step back and look at the bigger picture.

KSM has already admitted his guilt, and he's proud of it. So, letting him go due justice department foolishness so he can blow up more buildings and kill more people doesn't concern you? That's pretty cold ...

Unless a fair open court of law accepts his confession as valid and legally obtained, it doesn't exist. Neither does his alleged willingness to 'blow up more buildings', thats fantasy that represents "facts not supported by evidence".. since there is NO court accepted evidence yet, just unreliable govt propaganda and newspaper articles.

The bush elite DC mafia gangsters gained a lot more than any alleged suspect did... they got 2 wars, a shadow mercenary army, the patriot act et al, no bid govt contracts, powers to spy, torture, kidnap, detain indefinitely at their new gulag, show trials.. all that good ole nasty proto-fascist cheese the GOP & DNC have wanted for so long, but just didn't have the new pearl harbor they needed to get the sheeple to march along with.

You & I are nothing but a Sim, easily deleted, easily played, easily ignored.. knocking down 2 buildings & squashing a few thousand of us, is a small price to pay for what they gained 'in game'..

The PTB won with 9/11, got everything they wanted...All KSM got was arrested & tortured... he'll commit suicide long before his pre-hanging n. korean show trial, watch.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

An amazing reversal by the obama administration if this comes to pass. Also a slap in the face to Attorney General Holder who basically would get his feet cut out from under him. And what about the the far left, who will consider this just another campaign promise betrayal.

CNN article

White House advisers are considering recommending alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed be tried in a military court instead of a civilian one in New York City, a senior administration official told CNN on Friday.
In November, Attorney General Eric Holder announced his intention to try Mohammed in a New York civilian court.
"I am confident in the ability of our courts to provide these defendants a fair trial, just as they have for over 200 years," Holder said last month. "The alleged 9/11 conspirators will stand trial in our justice system before an impartial jury under long-established rules and procedures."
A firestorm of opposition erupted from both New York officials and top Republicans after Holder's announcement.

Just

come on there buddy, you like it, treat them animals like the simians they are...

What do you think?

All I care about it that we do not create an avenue to classify unruly citizens as terrorists-

May KSM be fried

[edit on 6-3-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenadots
It is definitely the right place for his trial. He declared his own personal war on the USA and has admitted his guilt.

Military courts are effective and if they are good enough for our military people, then they are good enough for him.

Also has the benefit of not being turned into a ten ring circus by the media and the local courthouse being targeted by every terrorist group out there.

In the non-military courts, his lawyers could delay for years and years just racking up those legal expenses all of which would be paid for by the taxpayers.

He will get a much faster trial in the military court.

Really?

Which open fair american process of law has it been proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that ANYONE has declared a "personal war" on the USA?

None?.. yeah, otherwise known as "zero"... the idea that one angry guy 1000s of miles away declaring war on 300 million, some how represents a threat to the whole nation.. is silly. The 'USA" must be a big fat vagina afraid of it's own shadow if the alleged words of one fat guy is enough to scare the federal govt into girly-man mode.. lmao are we as a nation that frik'n gay?

Who believes this stuff, come on man.. KSM wouldn't last 5 minutes in a war with Compton! let alone taking on the entire nation!! LMAO it's corny!!. Wait, KSM must be some kinda Rambo-terminator part VI...even then his jihad of one would end the instant LAPD pulled him over for the los angeles crime of the century: tinted "terrorist" windows!!

I fail to see the govt believers logic here, if the guy is so obviously over the top guilty and more evil than cancer, or possibly even more ruthless than bush/cheney.. a televised trial in a fair open court should be a govt cake-walk.. g-man lawyers would have such convincing, overwhelming evidence... they'd want us all to see how bitchen, badass and dedicated they are to protecting all 300 million of us from 1 fat hairy like a fly slob.

Military trials are no where near what the founding fathers had in mind when it comes to american justice, an example for all to follow. They got tired of people being punished based ONLY on the word of the king, yet today.. when king bushbama orders people killed by remote controlled airplane, or tried in an unfair show trial.. plebes & party cultists applaud.

Unfair trials, indefinite detentions, govt sanctioned extra judicial killings, torture, aggressive wars and all that are not new or original govt ideas.. it's re-cycled 1930s germany... and it creeps up on you.. first they're doing it to "them", then before too long "us".. history repeating happens, and this whole KSM drama is a re-run.

Amazing how americans are ready to trash their own ideals and virtues because of a few DC mafia gangster politicians and news personalities.. sad & pathetic.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Just a few questions...

I'm not a big fan of Military tribunals or courts as Habeas Corpus is suspended. That right should be extended to all, reguardless of where or who; otherwise it's not justice; it's revenge.

Again, just think of what would happen if KSM gets released due to a a "technicality".

All the purists could say "justice" was served "in the American way" (for non-U.S. citizens BTW). Yes, the U.S. took the high road and isn't that great?

But these people don't play by American rules - never have never will. The rest of the world doesn't either, so the gesture will be lost on basically everyone else - except the ACLU types in the U.S. Most of islam will see it as a victory for the radicals, while the rest of the world will see it as a sign of weakness - not greatness.

Worth the securty risk just to satisfy a few ACLU-loving Americans?

I don't think so.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Number two.

think about this for a moment... in a civilian court everything he has already said would be inadmissable to the courts...and he could potentially walk on that basis alone...

give him to me I guarentee him the fastest and speediest trial in all of judicial history.... about 4 minutes....

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Just a few questions...

Again, just think of what would happen if KSM gets released due to a a "technicality".

All the purists could say "justice" was served "in the American way" (for non-U.S. citizens BTW). Yes, the U.S. took the high road and isn't that great?

But these people don't play by American rules - never have never will. The rest of the world doesn't either, so the gesture will be lost on basically everyone else - except the ACLU types in the U.S. Most of islam will see it as a victory for the radicals, while the rest of the world will see it as a sign of weakness - not greatness.

Worth the securty risk just to satisfy a few ACLU-loving Americans?

I don't think so.

It has nothing to do with pleasing people with certain alleged affiliations, and everything to do with american justice. The US is a nation of laws, well used to be, not men.. what this man or that woman wants.. totally irrelevant to the facts of the case.

Evidence strongly suggests the US govt broke almost every rule that we tell other nations to follow, rules the founding fathers designed to protect people from govt abuse... yet people are cheering it.. pathetic, and about as an un-american as it gets.

And what security risk?, I'm pretty sure 300 million americans can take care of one angry dude.. if the govt cared about security, people crossing the border illegally wouldn't be allowed to slaughter & victimize US citizens by the 1000s.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf

Number two.

think about this for a moment... in a civilian court everything he has already said would be inadmissable to the courts...and he could potentially walk on that basis alone...

give him to me I guarentee him the fastest and speediest trial in all of judicial history.... about 4 minutes....

When govt misconduct, abuse and illegality occurs.. suspects deserve to walk. It keeps the govt honest.

Allowing admissions acquired via torture, illegal detention, and blatant violations of human rights we espouse as virtues.. JUST ONCE, creates a legal precedence for the govt to do it again, and again.. and again.

Cant you see the writing on the wall man?, with all the "home grown hate", SPLC propaganda news?, US citizens are the new threat.. the new terrorists... allowing legal precedence to torture confessions, deny rights, govt controlled show trials, and generally F up anyone the govt calls a name ("terrorists").. is opening the door for the govt to do it to YOU, legally.

KSM is just a murder suspect, the rest is rhetoric & propaganda... allowing the United State of America to treat anyone convicted of NOTHING like the nazis used to do, is a disgrace.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with pleasing people with certain alleged affiliations, and everything to do with american justice. The US is a nation of laws, well used to be, not men.. what this man or that woman wants.. totally irrelevant to the facts of the case.

These people admitted their guilt and are proud of it.

These people were captured outside the U.S. on the "filed of battle" and thus not entitled to protection under U.S. law. We didn't do that for german saboteurs caught here in WWII. No, they were tried by a military tribunal and executed.

There is a law passed by congress that authorizes the use of military tribunals, so using military tribunals IS American justice" if you want to see it that way.

these people would very likely go back and plan still more murderous attacks if they are somehow let go. there are many people - no doubt - who would not want to be killed or injured simply so that you can ride your high horse.

And what security risk?, I'm pretty sure 300 million americans can take care of one angry dude..

We'd all have to be armed, paranoid, and waiting based on good intel for that to be a reality. But we're not all armed, or paranoid, and good intel? that's a laugh - just like your suggestions.

[edit on 3/8/2010 by centurion1211]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join