It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force ? i got questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
hi, i'm only in my freshman year of high school, ya i'm the little one, but hey whatever, and i plan on joining the USAF, as an officer. my current plans are to attempt to get into the OTS and become a pilot afterwards. but i'm kinda confused on what i need and should do. i'm waiting for a response from an advisor so to pass time i'm asking you people! if any is in the air force or knows about it, what are some good ways for me to prepare myself, other than keeping high marks in school. oh and other than physical standards. i'm good at that too, i think. uhh what else.

oh yeah, does anyone know what i should study for the ASVAB exam? it's still a few years away for me but i'm going to be ready when the time comes. thanks!

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Your best bet would be to ask a recruiter. They'll answer any question's you may have.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
For one thing, you'll need to have a degree *prior* to enlisting in order to qualify for Officer's Candidate school. It doesn't matter *what* degree you have...It could be in basket-weaving for all they care.
If you want to become a pilot, having some flight training under your belt before enlistment wouldn't hurt either.

However, the ASVAB is merely a series of tests to determine wht your mental & educational background is. They need to get to know you well enough to determine what fields you could qualify for...

However, the last time I heard, Air Force is pretty top-heavy in the leadership areas, so you may find that advancement through the officers' ranks slow & tough-going. If such advancement is one of your goals, I'd suggest a different branch of the military. Consider the Navy if you still want to be a pilot...When I was in the Navy, there was a rumor that "the Navy has more of an air force than the Air Force itself"...

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
To pilot a plane you'll need at least a MATH or PHYSICS master. Have 10/10 to each eye (and not 11/10 or 9.5/10) and to be good in sports.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Follow this link and you'll find any information that you could possibly need.

You can also email Rod Powers(the guide), and he will probably answer every question you have.

US Military

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I once went to www.goarmy.com, and went into the chat room where there are several online army recruiters. I asked them several questions on enlisting in the army and becoming a helicopter pilot and what my options where, they were quite helpful and answered most of them. You can go into the chat room when its open and maybe they could possibly answer yours questions about joining the AF.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I forgot, you probably want to get the ASVAB Study Guide from the website also. I wish I had studied for it before I took it.
I'm not sure if you can buy it from the website or not, but I'm sure you can get it at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

usmilitary.about.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
thanks to everyone for their helpfulness. i haven't been able to do any of this today since i have been out all day, but i will do these tomorrow. i plan on contacting an advisor again soon, however i don't know if i would like to be in the navy. i know advancement is tough and i'm willing to hit that, and i plan on playing lacrosse or soccer again this year.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I dont have any answers for you, but I just wanted to say good luck to you! It's nice to see young people with goals.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
For the ASVAB... learn how a car engine works... everything about it. Also understand electronics, symbols.... capacitors everything. The principles of pulleys, like if you have 3 pulleys and pull on the rope 6 inches, how high will a weight attached to the rope rise. (I have no idea of the answer, just stands out in my mind)

There is also a section where you have to match a group of geometric shapes to a given picture (which is composed of different shapes) It's really easy, just practice a little. Ummm math was mostly like ....
(5x-2)(2x+5) and you had to convert it to 10x2-4x-10. or vice versa. I don't know if the answer is right... and don't even know what kind of math it is... but you'll learn it in high school.
That's all I can remember... took the test 2 months ago, it's really easy... the things I didn't know just stand out in my mind though.

What you might want to do is join the Air Force reserve when you get out of highschool... you'll go to boot camp (5 weeks i think?)... then get to go to college. They will pay some of your college costs, and I think you get paid when you go train 2 weekends a month. After college you can go to OCS and become an officer. You have a good 8 years till you get into the cockpit of an AirForce aircraft, but like others say... definetly talk to a recruiter...he'll lay it all out for you! Good luck phoenix_cross!!

join