It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nail from the time of Christ's crucifixion found in a dig

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Nail from the time of Christ's crucifixion found in a dig

A nail from the time of Christ's crucifixion which was hidden by the same knights who featured in The Da Vinci Code has been found in a dig.

The four-inch Roman relic, stored in an ornate box, was uncovered by archaeologists working at a fort thought to have been a former Knights Templar stronghold.

The iron nail is of the type used in thousands of crucifixions - but it is special. Archaeologist Bryn Walters said: "It dates from the 1st to 2nd centuries. You'd expect the surface to be pitted and rough after so long. But this was smooth.

"It looks like it had been handled by a lot of people over a long period of time and the acid from their hands have given it a peculiar finish."

www.mirror.co.uk...

Nail from Christ's crucifixion found?
A nail dating from the time of Christ's crucifixion has been found at a remote fort believed to have once been a stronghold of the Knights Templar.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Picture

Christopher Macklin of the Knights Templar of Britannia said the discovery was "momentous".

He said the original Knights Templar may have thought it was one of the nails used in Christ's crucifixion.

The nail was found together with three skeletons and three swords.

One of the swords had the Knight Templar's cross inscribed on it.

Interesting,

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The Bible says that the signs of Christ's return will increase as the end days progress...... it's almost like waiting for Geraldo to get Al's vault opened.

It seems that every few years, something related to Christ, is being allowed to be uncovered or found.

Like the Dead Sea Scrolls - that had to be more than just "luck" that the lit'l boy tossed a rock in a random cave looking for sheep, and heard a "clunk".

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That's merely evidence that crucifixion took place at Christ's time. Granted, it seems to negate the idea that Christ couldn't be crucified because it wasn't in existent at that time. However, anyone who has been seeking the truth of history already knew that was the case. As such, most folks who don't want to believe in the crucifixion or the death of Jesus are going to find reasons not to believe no matter the evidence.

It is important to note, too, that there is no way we could ever tell this side of Heaven if that nail was Christ's or one of the multitudes who were crucified at about the same time. When Christ said those who follow Him must take up His cross and follow Him, He wasn't being revolutionary or coming up with a new form of execution -- it was well in practice and very much feared by those not Roman citizens.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

Yes i was thinking that when I posted this, of course we have no proof, just a nail.

Jesus-era Home Found in Nazareth
Just in time for Christmas, a house dating back to the time of Jesus has been found at the town where he supposedly grew up.
news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

Thanks for the post, Jake,
Interesting how this nail was held by the Templars, could they have know something?

We will never know.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It is just a nail from the same time period of christ. This does not proove anything besides they had nails back then. Just like a nail found from the time of Geroge Washington does not proove that washington was crucified.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
It is just a nail from the same time period of christ. This does not proove anything besides they had nails back then. Just like a nail found from the time of Geroge Washington does not proove that washington was crucified.

Yes I realize that, but interesting set of circumstances none the less.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
From the telegraph

The nail was found last summer in a decorated box in a fort on the tiny isle of Ilheu de Pontinha, just off the coast of Madeira

In a decorated box, should mean it had some hidden meaning,

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The source stated it was found in an ornate box...

Wouldn't it have been found in a wooden box, most likely made by a carpenter..?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Is this the fort?

www.fortesaojose.com...

Any of these articles say the name of the fort?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

The source stated it was found in an ornate box...

Wouldn't it have been found in a wooden box, most likely made by a carpenter..?

It would sure be nice if they gave us more details and pictures.

Edited to add, why would a carpenter have made it, are you suggesting Christ could have made his own crucifixion box for a nail?

[edit on 033131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is an interesting find.. Although there cannot be any conclusive evidence that the nail was the one that was used to crucify Yeshua, it cannot be proved it wasn't either... The fact that it was found with a group of Templar Knights in an almost Indiana Jones type setting, and the fact that it dates from the time period suggests importance to someone of the time.. Also the fact that it has been handled by many people...

The fact is that the Knights would have been tasked to protect, and were buried with it is really intriguing...

I would like to know if those knights are from the time of their purge by the then King of France who accused them of apostasy and heresy to steal their wealth.. These knights could have been charged to guard and keep it hidden from them?... Who knows?... I love a mystery...

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I like the idea the Nail was handled by a lot of People over 2,000 years! if it was just a mickey mouse nail then why put it in a nice box and Gard it with the Templars

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here is a ,

1st-century funerary box inscribed with the name "Jehohanan." Inside, researchers found the man's bones — including a heel bone that had a curled nail sticking through it.

Apparently, the man had been crucified, with his heel nailed to the side of the cross. The nail probably hit a knot in the wood and couldn't be removed when Jehohanan was taken down, so it was buried right along with the bone.

msnbcmedia2.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yahannon?? That could be the Apostle John???.... The Hebrew for John is Yahannon... The letter "J" does not exist in Hebrew..

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I would like to know if those knights are from the time of their purge by the then King of France who accused them of apostasy and heresy to steal their wealth.. These knights could have been charged to guard and keep it hidden from them?... Who knows?... I love a mystery...

We can try and research the little evidence we have from this article, this place.

Ilheu de Pontinha,

To learn more about them, I am not having much luck yet.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hey there!
I just came across this news on my own, and I knew there would be a thread started on it on ATS! You didn't let me down!

I agree with the last couple of posts. This obviously was an important relic, and it was found in such a way that it could have been a scene in a movie. 3 skeletons, 3 swords, the Knights Templar, and an ornate box. Also the fact that it was handled by a lot of people shows that it's no ordinary nail.

I'd love to know more about what they found on this dig. I've looked but the only news articles I came across were just the same wording as the ones listed here.

Anyone know anything that places the Knights Templar in this area? Or have heard of them protecting this nail before this dig?

Take care fellow ATSers!

xxxx
Prax

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Yahannon?? That could be the Apostle John???.... The Hebrew for John is Yahannon... The letter "J" does not exist in Hebrew..

Yes, what are you saying?

That gave me chills.

John wasn't crucified though, though we don't know for sure.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Praxilla

I am not having much luck researching it either, but I will work on it later,

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
I like the idea the Nail was handled by a lot of People over 2,000 years! if it was just a mickey mouse nail then why put it in a nice box and Gard it with the Templars

I agree.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join