It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the NBA rigged?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Kobe'll be a free agent next year,

if he's a free man!!

I'd love to see Kobe in prison....

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
Kobe'll be a free agent next year,

if he's a free man!!

I'd love to see Kobe in prison....

Why?

That's a pretty crappy thing to say. How about letting the trial run it's course.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think he did it,

as well as everyone else in FRIGGIN SAN ANTONIO!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
I think he did it,

as well as everyone else in FRIGGIN SAN ANTONIO!!!

I suppose the only people who matter in terms of judgement, are the 12 jurors in his trial. He *is* innocent until proven otherwise.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
rigged?....no. but most likely stacked. hell 10 years ago it was the bulls winning everything. i just wish my red wings would get back to where they were. they're hockey by the way. i cant believe they got rid of federov!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Shame none of the players have any heart though. To me "Old School" means the truefundamentals of basketball. Kobe does some crazy stuff, that's because when you hog the ball, and get trapped with three people around you, yeah you are going to have to chunk the ball 43 ft away. He is good but he has no heart, no love. To him, its just a contest.
People Like Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Kirk Hinrich,Tony Parker, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby, Steve Nash, those are players who love the game. Players you can look up to.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKugs
Shame none of the players have any heart though. To me "Old School" means the truefundamentals of basketball. Kobe does some crazy stuff, that's because when you hog the ball, and get trapped with three people around you, yeah you are going to have to chunk the ball 43 ft away. He is good but he has no heart, no love. To him, its just a contest.
People Like Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Kirk Hinrich,Tony Parker, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby, Steve Nash, those are players who love the game. Players you can look up to.

Kobe is not a ball hog. His role on the Lakers is the "go to" guy. Aside from a few all-star appearances, we have only seen him play in one system and on only one team. I do think Kobe has heart. His commitment, work-ethic and several rings show that. I just think he is more composed and understated than most players. This has shown to be esp true considering the outside pressures he is under while keeping up a stellar preformance. I was at Kobe's very first NBA game and there was no way of telling that the wide-eyed youngster at the time was going to become a monster. The scouts surely saw something in him that alot of people could not at the time.

Spree is my favorite player in the league. Despite some hot-headed moments, he shows up to play every game and has a nose-to-the-grindstone blue collar approach. Much like Joe Dumars and Bird had. Those are my favorite kinds of players. No BS, they just bring their game. I would argue that Bryant does the same.

Free agent next year....Though highly unlikely, I would love to see the Knicks ship out Alan Houston and some draft picks to the Lakers for Kobe. The Lakers would get their pure shooter and the Knicks would get a dynamic foil for Marbury.... *keeps fingers crossed*

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Kobe will fall short.

LeBron is King!!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
i got chastised by the ats admin people for my one liner response to this thread back on page one but it wasnt really a one liner it was actually three short posts done in a row as i researched and found an article i remembered that is sort of on topic (conspiracy in pro sport) so they "docked" me 20 points to which i have another one liner:

whatever.

That eastern conference final sure was a stink-fest. they're gonna get creamed by the lakers.

i liked what a previous poster said about pro sports being like the coliseum sports during the fall of the roman empire. we are so busy focusing on our teams and the numbing effects of pro sports and ignorant and/or unconcerned about the global creeping tyranny of the few.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Al_uh_Looyah
a get creamed by the lakers.

i liked what a previous poster said about pro sports being like the coliseum sports during the fall of the roman empire. we are so busy focusing on our teams and the numbing effects of pro sports and ignorant and/or unconcerned about the global creeping tyranny of the few.

I don't buy that. Yes, sports are an almost necessary escape from everyday BS. Something to root for and have fun. As far as escape and distractions, the same could be said for television, books, the internet, radio, etc.

Romans? Put some actual Lions in the Detriot line up and some actual Jaguars in the Jacksonville lineup....some actual Grizzly Bears in the Chicago line up etc... then you would see some REAL Roman style games...

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Its funny, I�ve been reading �Days of War, Nights of Love� by the Crimethinc cooperative and read this last night. Thought it expanded on the �coliseum� thoughts I had earlier.

� A spectacle also isolates the people whose attention it commands. Many of us know more about the fictitious characters of popular sitcoms than we know about the lives and loves of our neighbors - for even when we talk to them, it is about television shows, the news, and the weather; thus the very experiences and information that we share in common as spectators of the mass-media serve to separate us from one another. It is the same at big football game: everybody watching from the bleachers is a nobody, regardless of who they are. They may be sitting next to each other, but all eyes are focused on the field. If they speak to each other, it is almost never about each other, but about the game that is being played before them.

And although football fans cannot participate in the events of the game they are watching, or exert any real influence over them, they attach the utmost importance to these events and associate their own needs and desires with the outcome in a most unusual way. Rather than concentrating their attention on things that have a real bearing on their desires, they reconstruct their desires to revolve around the things they pay attention to. Their language even conflates the acheivements of the team they identify themselves with with their own actions: �we scored a goal!� �We won!� shout the fans from their seats and sofas. This stands in stark contrast to the way people speak about the things that go on in our own cities and communities. �They�re building a new highway,� we say about the new changes in our neighborhood. �What will they think of next?� we say about the latest advances in scientific technology. Our language reveals that we think of ourselves as spectators in our own societies. But it�s not �They,� the mysterious Other People, who have made the world the way it is - it is we, humanity ourselves. No small team of scientists, city planners, and rich bureaucrats could have done all the working and inventing and organizing that it has taken for us to transform this planet; it has taken and still takes all of us, working together, to do this. We are the ones doing it, every day. And yet most of us seem to feel that we can have more control over football games than we can over our cities, our jobs, even our own lives.

We might have more success in our pursuit of happiness if we start trying to really participate. Instead of accepting the role of passive spectator to sports, society, and life, it is up to each of us to figure out how to play an active and significant part in creating the worlds around us and within us. Perhaps one day we can build a new society in which we can all be involved together in the decisions that affect the lives we lead; then we will be able to truly choose our own destinies. � crimethinc.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Al_uh_Looyah
Its funny, I�ve been reading �Days of War, Nights of Love� by the Crimethinc cooperative and read this last night. Thought it expanded on the �coliseum� thoughts I had earlier.

� A spectacle also isolates the people whose attention it commands. Many of us know more about the fictitious characters of popular sitcoms than we know about the lives and loves of our neighbors - for even when we talk to them, it is about television shows, the news, and the weather; thus the very experiences and information that we share in common as spectators of the mass-media serve to separate us from one another. It is the same at big football game: everybody watching from the bleachers is a nobody, regardless of who they are. They may be sitting next to each other, but all eyes are focused on the field.

And although football fans cannot participate in the events of the game they are watching, or exert any real influence over them, they attach the utmost importance to these events and associate their own needs and desires with the outcome in a most unusual way. Rather than concentrating their attention on things that have a real bearing on their desires, they reconstruct their desires to revolve around the things they pay attention to. This stands in stark contrast to the way people speak about the things that go on in our own cities and communities.
crimethinc.com...

That was written by a person or bunch of people who have never played a sport, or even hate sports all-together. ie. geeks. (I am a geek too, but I hate snobs) There were one or two good points made. I agree on the community part, but this part ruined it for me:

Their language even conflates the acheivements of the team they identify themselves with with their own actions: �we scored a goal!� �We won!� shout the fans from their seats and sofas.

And this:

If they speak to each other, it is almost never about each other, but about the game that is being played before them."

Those quotes show someone looking down their noses at people. Condescending, arrogant and obviously written by someone who is holier-than-thou. Condescension is a pet-peeve of mine and should not be tolerated by anyone. The author[s] should specificly say that their statements are directed at sport fanatics. Fanatics of any type fit the previously mentioned description. Most fans fall very short of the author's biased, misinformed opinions. Perhaps they should actually go to some games. Yes, there will be some jerks there, but that is pretty much par for the course at all human mass social gathering.

The part about speaking to each other. I have had some great conversations with complete strangers at sporting events. But of course you are going to be talking about and mostly be concentrating on the event you are watching! If you were not, it would be like going to a concert to talk about knitting!

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The Lakers aren't the best team in the NBA. The regular season record showed that. People will claim they had injuries. Well so did other teams. Only difference is that other teams have some depth. Lakers have none. They are a 4 man team. One (Kobe) is the most selfish player in basketball. Mallone is one of the dirtiest players in pro ball. And Shaq. There is a joke. Call him for offensive fouls and 3 second violations and the man is nothing. He fouls almost every time he touches the ball. It is an offensive foul to dislodge a defender from his position. Shaq makes a career out of that. The Lakers because of the market size routinely receive the benefit of the doubt on most calls. To think the NBA isnt biased like that is pure blindness. No matter what happens the NBA wont let the Lakers lose this because the league has alot of money riding on this. Remember what the league can charge for advertising is based on ratings. Better ratings equals higher revenues. Do the math.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
That's a good point. Consider that none of these players played in the olympics recently. International officials will call them on their little indiscrestions...

Hell, I wonder if an all star US team could get the gold anymore.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy One (Kobe) is the most selfish player in basketball.

There is a difference between being a "ball-hog" and being the "Go To Guy." Kobe, as any dominant offensive player does, gets the ball because he deserves it.

I would want Kobe on my Knicks as most teams in the NBA would as well. I think you should look at his stats before making such statements.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Im sorry but I would never want this player on my team. I don't care how badly my team needs a scorer. Kobe can go play somewhere else. He is bad for team chemistry The guy never shuts up.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
The NBA�s goal is to sell advertising space and seats so they can get money. If they found out that many people would like to see a particular team in the playoffs they might work towards that goal. If was the owner of the NBA I would surely do this because money is good.

See a particular team in the playoffs: I wouldn't mind a Philadelphia and Toronto rematch. The 2001-2002 playoffs was heavenly. Iverson was on fire, and Carter missed that jump shot in the last minute of the series eastern conference final. The Lakers went on to sweep Philadelphia for the win. After that the Raptors fell into a slump, Vincanity died off and so did I. I then switched to the joys of European Soccer. Unlike American Soccer where there are 4 referees in addition to the video referees European soccer is all out action with only one referee.

Personal Note: Indoor soccer in the States is the most perverted thing I have ever seen. What were they thinking.
:bash:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Soccer is an interesting sport but I have never confused it with excitement. In a 90 minute match you get what... 10 minutes of action? Now I will say the European game is much better than the US game. The Netherlands are good to watch. But there is just too much standing around in the game. People are standing around kicking the ball back and forth and you hear these people in the stands singing and cheering. Im like what game are they watching? Or are they simply trying to stay awake?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Im sorry but I would never want this player on my team. I don't care how badly my team needs a scorer. Kobe can go play somewhere else. He is bad for team chemistry The guy never shuts up.

Never shuts up? I think you are confusing him with Payton or Casell. Bad for team chemistry? Hmmm.... three rings? and closing in on a fourth at 26 years old? Yeah, bad chemistry all around.....

I don't watch the interviews, I only watch the plays. Kobe can deliver and that is a proven fact.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

See a particular team in the playoffs: I wouldn't mind a Philadelphia and Toronto rematch. The 2001-2002 playoffs was heavenly.

Vince drives me crazy. He is by far, the most gifted player in the league, but can't seem to bring the hurt. (Or bear the hurt for that matter) I was living in Toronto when the Nelly incident happened and I have never looked at him the same since.... Even Phil Jackson said that Vince is the one guy with the talent to be the next Jordan.... and that is coming from a guy who sees Kobe practice everyday!

Vince has it all, shooting, jumping, size, but he does not seem to have that fire that a guy like Iverson has.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join