It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.0+ Earthquakes Around the World Leading up to Chile's 8.8 and More Occuring

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm sure everyone's heard about the Chile Earthquake already. But I'm not sure people know that there were dozens of Earthquakes leading up to the 8.8 Chile experienced today/last night. The MSM has not commented on these in great depth or at all from what I can ascertain.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Europe (Portugal, Greece, Poland, Turkey and I'll include Morroco) was continuously hit with small 3+ magnitude Earthquakes leading up to the Chilean quake and this activity has continued.

Japan, China, Afghanistan and Russia were all affected by larger magnitude Earthquakes before the big 8.8 hit Chile. China and Russia had a 4.6 and 4.8 respectively also before the quake. Japan reportedly had a 7.0 a few days ago and a few 5.0s today. Afghanistan was hit (as many of you know) with a 5.8. French Guyana was hit with a 5.4 as well. North and South America and Africa had no earthquakes leading up to the Chilean Earthquake. Argentina was affected with a 5.0+ after the 8.8.

These quakes are continuously popping up.

Are there links between the dozens of earthquakes in Europe (which is not linked to the Pacific) to the Chilean Earthquake hours afterwards? Does this always happen?

Does this legitimize the HAARP theory? Is this proof of a fragile Earth ready to crumble?

What do ATS members make of this?

I have been informed that small quakes are normal everyday. But I'm beginning to question the quantity of 5.0+ quakes worldwide in the past 48 hours.

EDIT: FOR UPDATING!

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Portugoal]

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Portugoal]

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Dozens of quakes over 3.0 strike all over the World every day of the year.

It's no big deal..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
They start at 3 and get up to 4.8. These can't just be a mass of 3.0 and less earthquakes. They are 3.0 +.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Constant seismic activity is to be expected.

Source

Minor earthquakes occur nearly constantly around the world in places like California and Alaska in the U.S., as well as in Guatemala. Chile, Peru, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, the Azores in Portugal, Turkey, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, and Japan, but earthquakes can occur almost anywhere, including New York City, London, and Australia.[13] Larger earthquakes occur less frequently, the relationship being exponential; for example, roughly ten times as many earthquakes larger than magnitude 4 occur in a particular time period than earthquakes larger than magnitude 5. In the (low seismicity) United Kingdom, for example, it has been calculated that the average recurrences are: an earthquake of 3.7 - 4.6 every year, an earthquake of 4.7 - 5.5 every 10 years, and an earthquake of 5.6 or larger every 100 years.[14] This is an example of the Gutenberg-Richter law.

The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today. As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past, but this is because of the vast improvement in instrumentation, rather than an increase in the number of earthquakes. The USGS estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0-7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable.[16] In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased, although this is thought likely to be a statistical fluctuation rather than a systematic trend. More detailed statistics on the size and frequency of earthquakes is available from the USGS.[17]

Most of the world's earthquakes (90%, and 81% of the largest) take place in the 40,000-km-long, horseshoe-shaped zone called the circum-Pacific seismic belt, also known as the Pacific Ring of Fire, which for the most part bounds the Pacific Plate.[18][19] Massive earthquakes tend to occur along other plate boundaries, too, such as along the Himalayan Mountains.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Alright, becuase I've had extended stays in Europe and never felt or heard of an Earthquake. Just found it weird. Thanks

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I don't see a legit theory here first off the quakes in Europe have no effect on quakes in south America, second there are. hundreds of earthquakes 3+ every day, no big deal

[edit on 2/27/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
I'm sorry but I don't see a legit theory here first off the whales in Europe have no effect on quakes in south America

That's why I was stumped but someone already posted and clarified everything.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This whole end of the world, 2012, blah blah blah earthquake/natural disaster hysteria is getting old and downright silly. Earthquakes happen. Natural disasters happen. THere are cities all over the world nowadays. Huge buildings, aging infrastructure etc. People are going to die.

Look at this whole Hawaii tsunami hysteria. It's a complete and utter joke. I wonder what some of you would do in an ACTUAL disaster in the USA. Can't wait for California to be hit by the big one. It will be a true testament to the resolve of the American people. Will we turn to looting, anarchy, and desperation or will we band together and help each other?

The world will not end any time soon. We could launch every nuclear weapon off on the planet in a big fireworks display and kill every human being............Planet Earth will live on and life will survive.

Look at Hawaii.......stupid people are already panicking over nothing........they've ransacked the grocery stores and are buying up gasoline?????????? for what?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Look at this whole Hawaii tsunami hysteria. It's a complete and utter joke. I wonder what some of you would do in an ACTUAL disaster in the USA.

I'm laughing at this whole thing too. I think the MSM is just driving home the hysteria for ratings and people are part of it now.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I noticed something today. Before the big earthquakes there really arent any small quakes before it happens. Am I looking at it right??

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromtheheart66
I noticed something today. Before the big earthquakes there really arent any small quakes before it happens. Am I looking at it right??

Well I don't really look at these things everyday so I can't compare the normal number of quakes to todays/ before the 8.8.

I thought there were a lot, but, as proven, this is just normal activity.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
5.8 earthquake now in Afghanistan. Are you guys sure this brash of earthquakes is normal?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Look at Hawaii.......stupid people are already panicking over nothing........they've ransacked the grocery stores and are buying up gasoline?????????? for what?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

For the eventuality that a large tsunami could damage the ports through which the great majority of products arrive in the islands.

For the eventuality that a large tsunami could damage the off shore stations through which oil tankers pump crude to the refineries on shore.

For the eventuality that in case there is no damage a great party can be had with plenty of beer and steaks.

Try living on an island sometime. It tends to give one a different perspective.

Stupid mainlander.

[edit on 2/27/2010 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
7.0 in Okinawa Japan earthquake.usgs.gov...

date 2-26-2010

[edit on 27-2-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Nope that one was from yesterday. However, another just occurred in the same area as yesterday. What luck being at the same fault as the previous day.

5.3 Japan
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Nope that one was from yesterday. However, another just occurred in the same area as yesterday. What luck being at the same fault as the previous day.

5.3 Japan
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Nonetheless this was all leading up to the Chile quake. These numbers on the scale are big enough to garner MSM attention but Chile is dominating the headlines and even ATS.

No one knows about these other quakes, except for the Afghanistan one which is now on the homepage.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

It sure was darn time displacement crap were in the blue bloody blazes did the 26th go

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Still haven't seen CNN report on the other quakes, not even Afghanistan where Americans are stationed right now en masse.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
your right i looked into it and theres been a ton of 5+ within the past few hours.

argentina just a little while ago 5.0

all seismic activity effects eachother around the world.

im very concerned for california...

i know in my area of california were sitting on a few timebombs for faultlines that they have been waiting to blow for ages... and in school we learned to watch areas around us for seismic acitivity, even small could trigger a fault to slip, its a chain reaction...transfer of force on a huge scale.

to say it doesnt effect your region just because your on the other side of the planet is foolish. thats like the last domino in the line saying it wont be effected by the first domino falling over. the distance doesnt matter if they are connected even at a great distance...were talking a great amount of force..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So are you trying to say that earthquakes are indeed linked, whether or not Earthquake A happens in Europe and Earthquake B happens on the West Coast of South America?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join