It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
"Bridges have fallen" "It was felt all the way over the mountain range in Argentina"

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I am no expert but I think although the earthquake was huge its depth will hopefully mean less impact on the surface. If it had been shallow would have been a lot worse. earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 8.8
Date-Time

* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 06:34:14 UTC
* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 03:34:14 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.846°S, 72.719°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shasta9600

Yes, it's most likely going to affect many other country's as well. This is terrible.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Thats right, the CME was due to arrive on 27, coincidence hmm no such thing as a coincidence.
I heard about the Japan quake when warnings shot up on the PDC site but now this, a massive 8.8...there could be a connection to the CME, lets see what else happens.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
fear for those in Concepcion, Talcahuno and Constitucion right now, not only would they have been directly hit with the 8.8 quake, but then being coastal towns, faced with possible a Tsunami threat.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by packinhit

Another ATS user brought up the 50 earthquakes or more happened this year. Seems like 2010 is the year of earthquakes.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
7 Meter wave reported on Chile Coast... Fox News

[edit on 27-2-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
someone over at the other site has this link posted with info on all the earthquakes, tsunamis, volcano's, etc going on right now: hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
No risk of tsunamis on Chilean coast.
They say its confirmed.
www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gusan

I just heard that the Tsunami Warning has restated their Warning for Chili, America, and Canada

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

If a CME was to blame that would create such an earthquake, then would not there be satellite communications difficulties? Power outages?

I think it is more likely plate tension release... It IS in a subduction zone after all....

That being said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected

And why is sky tv news (fox) more worried about some stupid footballer not shaking the hand of another footballer because one shagged th girlfriend of the other??
The earthquake happend in the wrong place I think!! Some people need a rocket up their arse to re-align priorities!

Tsunami warning for Chilean coast has been stood down

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Every news network is most likely scrambling to understand what's going on.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

35 km is the "other" default depth, in other words, the other repeated depth.
So basically, 7+ is at 10 km, 8+ is at 35 km. What an interesting toy they have.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
UPDATE -- Bridge with overturned cars about to collapse, elevated highway partially collapsed. - TV Chile

UPDATE -- USGS confirms strong 6.9 aftershock in Chile.

Tsunami alerts lifted for the southern Chili coast,

[edit on 27-2-2010 by asala]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
damn guys... this is some scary stuff. hopefully everybody there is ok.. and hopefully this isnt the start of the end of the world... if it is, god pray for us all

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
7 Meter wave reported on Chile Coast... Fox News

[edit on 27-2-2010 by xynephadyn]

"Two to four foot waves reportedly were generated from the tsunami."
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Again Chili are very well prepped for quakes, There one saving grace here is that the quake depth was 22 miles, So hopefully that would have lessened the shock waves, Haiti was so major due to the depth only being 2 miles,

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TSawyer
British HAARP trying to get at Argentina?

I hope nobody died....

Stick tune for more details.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by TSawyer]

LOLOL, exactly my thoughts, we were off by a little bit there with our Argy Harrp but we WILL teach em a lesson if they don't leave our Falklands alone!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It looks like CNN and ATS will be my focus for the next few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if more quakes come before dawn.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
This isnt a fault slip, its a fault rupture. Years of the Pacific moving SouthEast has led to this entire length of the faultline being compressed into the Argentina'n plate. The trigger would have been the Japan quake last night which has finally caused this entire section of the fault to "unzip" from just inside the Argentina coastline to 70 miles Southwest out at sea where a 6.9 has just been reported from a new rupture.

If this was a slip event the quakes would be magnitude'd in a singular area, but you can easily see its beginning to unzip on the USGS map.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join