It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Strike Shuts Down Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

General Strike Shuts Down Greece

www.spiegel.de

As the Greek government imposes tough austerity measures at the behest of the European Union, unions have called a 24-hour strike to protest the cuts. Transportation came to a standstill and ministries and schools were shut on Wednesday as protesters prepared to march on parliament.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Der Spiegel report that the European Union, led by Germany, has already prepared a 20-25 billion euro bailout package, though the German Finance Ministry promptly denied the existence of any such plan.

source

Isn't it ironic how the Greeks are trashing the EU for problems their government is solely responsible for? Without the Euro, their country would have collapsed already weeks ago.

The pressure that the EU currently puts on Greece to make them solve their problems is very much understandable. Instead of blaming the EU, they should blame their treacherous and corrupt government.

Obviously, the Greek government finds it very convenient to draw attention away from itself, making the EU an easy scapegoat.

They should be grateful that the EU is preparing a bail-out plan, because if they wouldn't, the Greeks would be bankrupt go bankrupt and end up in a situation incomparable to the current mess.

www.spiegel.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
You can't blame the people for being pissed off, they don't know what goes on behind closed doors. They are just the hard working people getting screwed as usual. I support their actions

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
You can't blame the people for being pissed off, they don't know what goes on behind closed doors. They are just the hard working people getting screwed as usual. I support their actions

They should be mad with their government, not with the EU for pressuring their country to put its affairs in order. That's a logic condition for being part of the Union.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
That is all a bunch of BS and you know it.

The Greek Government is not sovereign. They are owned and controlled by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank (WB). These organizations use their global financial might to push nations around and force them to comply with various agendas.

Essentially the Greek Government is owned by larger governments, such as the European Union and the United Nations.

Did the Greek people vote for EU membership or UN membership? NO. The people were FORCED and thrust upon these super-governments. They had little choice especially since politicians are PUPPETS placed by the UN and EU for the express purpose of controlling the nation in entirety.

The simple fact of the matter is, the peoples of Greece know that they were SOLD OUT a long time ago. And they are treated as SLAVES now. This is why they are revolting. This is why Greece is in a revolution for their very freedoms against the tyrannous global establishment.

So quit pretending Greece Inc. is a sovereign nation. It is not!!! It is in reality a CORPORATION owned by the Internationalists. Through the UN agencies (IMF / WB etc) and through the EU, Greece is 100% fully controlled by the International usurpers.

Don't let them play your brain like a fiddle. You are better than that...come on now.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by muzzleflash]

[edit on 24-2-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What you are saying has zero relevance. You can blame whichever organization or institution you want, it remains the Greek government that is responsible for the country's deficit due to the lack of a transparent and effective financial policy.

If you think it is the EU or the IMF bearing responsibility for that deficit, I am curious to hear your elaboration as well see the evidence for these claims.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The people that avoid taxes in Greece are the corparations and big business. The people striking are the misthotoi(wage earners) and the syntaxiouhoi (pensioners) the new taxes will as always only hit the lower wage brackets, and these are the only people that pay taxes. If you look at the tracktors that were(maybe still) parked up on the Athina-Thessaloniki road, where are theyre owners(farmers) at the night times??? you will find them at the bouzouki houses throwing EU money away. The only people that are going to suffer are the ones that pay taxes all ready.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by cosmodromia tis parnasida]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

What you are saying has zero relevance. You can blame whichever organization or institution you want, it remains the Greek government that is responsible for the country's deficit due to the lack of a transparent and effective financial policy.

If you think it is the EU or the IMF bearing responsibility for that deficit, I am curious to hear your elaboration as well see the evidence for these claims.

Absolutely correct Md...Good O/P btw

The Greek governments' total lack of fiscal responsibility over many years, pure and simple, has lead to this situation.

The IMF had been warning the Greek government for several years to reduce spending & its budget deficit or face consequences if there was a downturn in the Greek/World economy leading to reduced income in the way of taxation receipts. Greece had also been warned time and again to be transparent about its fiscal policies particularly with regard to expenditure and budgetary bottom lines.

They didnt listen, said downturn ensued and the Greeks are now facing the foretold consequences.

The thing I don't understand is a national strike when a deal to provide 20-25 billion Euro to essentially stop the country defaulting on its sovereign debt has all but been approved by the EU.

The fools should consider themselves fortunate and get back to work...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Do you seriously think that the bailout money will have an effect the stikers and theyre families?No it will go to central banks. And the people striking will as always be the ones to pay it back leaving the multinational corarations to buy up whats left of Greek enterprise and reap the money whilst paying minimum wage.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
[Quote] Do you seriously think that the bailout money will have an effect the stikers and theyre families?No it will go to central banks. And the people striking will as always be the ones to pay it back leaving the multinational corarations to buy up whats left of Greek enterprise and reap the money whilst paying minimum wage.

Did I say said money would have an direct effect on the strikers and their families, or anyone else for that matter ? I didnt, however this bailout money might just keep interest rates for the average joe a little lower in Greece as its banking institutions and government will have cheaper borrowing costs as a result of this increased liquidity.

"The people" should always be responsible for repaying money borrowed by their government, "the people" being the various participants in the economy which include companies and individuals.

Your point about multinationals buying up whats left of Greek enterprise and so on is irrelevant as far as discussion of the O/P goes...

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious yet .. Greece has nothing to do with anything.
This is a diversion from the massive problems with the UK.
Standby.

edit: when negative talk is at it's peak it's time rethink.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

im 100% behind the greeks here...people saying they shouldnt be burning EU flags etc as they just want to help are SERIOUSLY naive...the whole system has brought greece to this point...from corrupt banks in the US to corrupt politicians in greece and the EU.....no one can tell me that some people in the EU didnt know greece lied about their finances or that the government was corrupt...come on!!!

greece has been plundered...whos next?

[edit on 24-2-2010 by alienesque]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque
news.bbc.co.uk...

im 100% behind the greeks here...people saying they shouldnt be burning EU flags etc as they just want to help are SERIOUSLY naive...the whole system has brought greece to this point...from corrupt banks in the US to corrupt politicians in greece and the EU.....no one can tell me that some people in the EU didnt know greece lied about their finances or that the government was corrupt...come on!!!

The European Union is not Ernst and Young. In other words, they don't do audit services. Relations are based on mutual trust, which Greece has broken. For years, they lied about the size of their deficit and now you apologists can come up with all kind of excuses, but I remain to my point that it is the Greek government that should be blamed.

However, it is indeed a very sad situation for the Greek people. Let there be no misunderstanding about that.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yes Greece lowered there necessary deposits on hand to virtually nothing. Yes there banking laws are the most lax in the so called Democratic world. The question is always whom is responsible. The people did not vote for these laws, the people cannot create there own wealth. The people cannot control the hoest of there representatives. As always it leads back to the international bankers and multinational conglomerates of the real super government passing there worldy agenda. You cannot blame the people for the mess there government is in. Voting in a representative democracy for one of a couple of canidates all represnting the same international adgenda is not power. The people are powerless to do anything but strike, and I applaud them for it, real change can only come about through resistance not voting or working within the system, that has been proven throughout history. These people are patient and have advanced there cause over the course of centuries, a few decades of bad monitary policy by Greece's government is not what created the underlying issues and those are what must be delt with if we don't want to see the rest of the world go the same way.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

news.bbc.co.uk...

The European Union is not Ernst and Young. In other words, they don't do audit services. Relations are based on mutual trust, which Greece has broken. For years, they lied about the size of their deficit and now you apologists can come up with all kind of excuses, but I remain to my point that it is the Greek government that should be blamed.

However, it is indeed a very sad situation for the Greek people. Let there be no misunderstanding about that.

they lied with help from large american banks who have people in the US government and huge links to europe...i cant see how that means the people should pay..they have been robbed..get the money back from the people who stole it....

the bankers are again giving themselves HUGE payouts....this simply cannot go on..

why..if the money has been stolen by the government being helped by banks......should the people have to pay?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

they lied with help from large american banks who have people in the US government and huge links to europe...i cant see how that means the people should pay..they have been robbed..get the money back from the people who stole it....

the bankers are again giving themselves HUGE payouts....this simply cannot go on..

why..if the money has been stolen by the government being helped by banks......should the people have to pay?

Well, perhaps because they don't want their country to end up bankrupt? You see, the world is not fair. I am also paying for the mess that these banks have created. Is it fair? No. Can you do anything about it? No. You simply gotta swallow it, that's not solely the case for Greeks, but for every average Joe. Deal with it!

What are you implying about the relation between the EU and American banks? That they have purposefully remained silent about Greece's financial situation? That would be complete nonsense. Do you think the European Union is eager to bail-out Greece by wasting more billions?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

here....goldman sachs....wow...these people with huge links to EU and the american government..some would say they are an integral part of these governments....help hide greeces real debt levels so they can enter the euro....but we are supposed to believe that no one else knew?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Well, perhaps because they don't want their country to end up bankrupt? You see, the world is not fair. I am also paying for the mess that these banks have created. Is it fair? No. Can you do anything about it? No. You simply gotta swallow it, that's not solely the case for Greeks, but for every average Joe. Deal with it!

What are you implying about the relation between the EU and American banks? That they have purposefully remained silent about Greece's financial situation? That would be complete nonsense. Do you think the European Union is eager to bail-out Greece by wasting more billions?

'You simply gotta swallow it'...nope..thats what im saying is good about the greek peoples protest...we dont just have to swallow it...thats what has got us into this mess...do you think it wont happen again if we just swallow it?....no....that would be the signal to these people to do it again..and again..and again...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think it's great they are Running on the Banks and doing general strikes as opposed to the riots earlier this year. This is the only thing governments really fear. Hit them in the wallet!

Here is a video I made that touches this very topic:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I should of said Riots from LAST year...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join