It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Illinois earthquake was near Fermilab Collider.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I have waited to post this information because I was hoping astute members of ATS would make the connection. Sadly, no one did so I will enlighten you.

We all know about this of course.

A mild earthquake shook northern Illinois this morning. The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.8-magnitude quake at 3:59:33 a.m. centered in a farm field on Plank Road in Elgin near Hampshire and 3.1 miles underground. Initially, it had reported the magnitude as 4.3 with an epicenter about 5.5 miles east of Sycamore. The quake was felt over a wide area -- from Wisconsin to Tennessee -- but there were no reports of any damage so far, according to the Kane County and DeKalb County sheriff's departments, which are closest to the epicenter.

But did you know it was only 16 miles away from Fermilab?Fermilab, home of the Tevatron, currently the world's highest energy particle accelerator.

That Fermilab is The U.S, version of CERNThe Large Hadron Collider.

Located on the East side of Batavia, IL, the core research area at Fermilab is particle physics, which involves the very smallest building blocks of matter. Scientists investigate the foundations of matter to understand the forces that hold them together or force them apart. On a 6800-acre site - just under 10 square miles - Fermilab operates a range of proton/anti-proton accelerators to enable various sub-atomic collisions. Using enormous amounts of energy, collisions can reveal exotic particles of matter, which are detected by special devices.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c14d2a3b968.jpg[/atsimg]

Part 2 continues below.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Good catch. S&F.

...No, I didn't know.

Any idea if the area is known to be earthquake prone?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
part 2

I know earthquakes can happen anywhere but they are very infrequent in this area.

Because the Midwest represents one of the most stable geological regions of North America, tremors are infrequent. And when they do happen, geologists are hard-pressed to come up with a reason why.

How many have they had in this same area?

Wednesday’s earthquake joins two others in 2004 and 1999, which were both in the 3.5-4.0-magnitude range.

The Fermilab is in a race with CERN to discover the Higgs boson.Have they been doing anything there recently?

The Department of Energy on 8 January,2010 granted Fermilab initial approval to begin work on the Long Baseline Neutrino Experiment, which would study the shy, mysterious and chargeless particle that rarely interacts with matter and was only discovered to have mass (a tiny bit) in the late 1990s.

And then there is this Fermilab project called Project X.

This is where it gets interesting.

Are there underground facilities at Fermilab?

In 2003, Fermilab finished the construction of 4000 feet of tunnels and two large underground experimental halls, all of which are located underneath Fermilab property. The main tunnels and the two halls are between 100 and 350 feet deep in the ground, carved out of the rock located directly underneath the Fermilab site.

The new construction, called the Neutrinos at the Main Injector (NuMI) project, now houses the experimental tools to create neutrinos, some of the lightest building blocks of the universe. Neutrinos are particles that are created at the center of the sun, and they arrive on earth with the same abundance as light, but invisible to the naked eye. The NuMI project will enable us to create and observe these particles in a lab environment.

Fermilab scientists use the NuMI infrastructure to create beams of neutrinos that travel 450 miles from Fermilab to Soudan, Minnesota - but no tunnel needed! Our neutrinos - like the neutrinos from the sun - are able to travel through rock and other matter without leaving a trace. The 4,000-foot Fermilab tunnel - used in producing the neutrino beam - stops well before reaching the boundary of our site.

The neutrinos, traveling deep underground, go in a straight line to a mine in Minnesota, where scientists can detect and study the beam and its properties.

Yes, you read it right.

"The neutrinos, traveling deep underground, go in a straight line to a mine in Minnesota."

And that straight line goes through the epicenter of the quake!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/725653e12acd.jpg[/atsimg]

So I have presented to this forum something to think about.I am not making any assumptions only presenting the information.

But maybe if we would stop "HAARPing" about and investigate other things we would be all a little more informed.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
I have waited to post this information because I was hoping astute members of ATS would make the connection. Sadly, no one did so I will enlighten you.

Actually i saw quite a few people post links to Fermilab on some of the discussions about it. Sorry i was enlightened about it before you came along.

Thanks anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Hmmm. So there is a possibility that Fermilab experiments might have triggered the quake?

Interesting thought. ...Many other human activities can trigger quakes - so why not particle acceleration?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Illinois just tested a nuke.

Oh wait that was Iran my bad never mind.

You know these pesky "Earthquakes" I mean "nuke testing" these days there are so many it's hard to tell them apart.

On-topic. I didn't know that area was prone to quakes. Could be something to it.

Good find.

Very interesting read.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Lmfao...
Good one, you slay me..... Oh wait, I bet you get that all the time....S&F to you sir, hell of a chuckle Seriously though, with all that's gone on in the last 72 hrs, it's hard to keep track of where your at, in regards to these thread's.....

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

My uncle works there Iam always picking his brain for info.I guess its time to give him a ring if anything comes around thats interesting i will post it.
He always said nothing happening there.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I wasn't speaking of Fermilab.I was speaking of its relationship to the local earthquake and some recent developments in their testing.

They also plan on shooting neutrinos at a underground mine in South Dakota further away.

This civilization won't be destroyed by politicians or Generals it will probably be destroyed by scientists.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I live within 5 miles of there.I fish the lakes on the Fermi lab property often.I know people who work there.There has never been an incident there (that I know of)I do not think the two are related.It is a circular collider,I think 7 miles in circumference,so if it had something to do with the event it should have been centered there rather than 16 miles away.I know when your 1000 miles away 16 miles doesn't sound far but think about it,16 miles is a long way.

That being said my fiance said it sounded like an explosion.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Living literally at the back gates of fermi the thought crossed my mind. The do have a fair amount of tridium in my water so I guess anything is possible.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

"The neutrinos, traveling deep underground, go in a straight line to a mine in Minnesota."

Very interesting.

Would you like a map to go with that?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee0080a3580d.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 11-2-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Many neutrinos travel through space and THROUGH the earth every day. The mine down in Minnesota is a closed mine, and scientists simply built a very sensitive neutrino detector to study them.

Nothing dangerous at all about that.

lbne.fnal.gov...

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Thanks!!! I keep having to leave and come back.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

I am well aware of neutrinos that travel naturally through space.I worked with "special" weapons in the military.

I also know that mortal man should not play around with nature in anyway.

I also know to not believe a **** that is given out by the government.

You posted a link to a .gov web site.

Sorry this is MORE than coincidental.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'm thinking that this might be more than a coincidence.
I was plotting the positions on a map, too.
It seems a few others have beat me to posting the plot lines.

The line of travel of the nuetrinos flows right through the epicenter!

And there is no fault anywhere near this area.

One more thing, while I'm not up onearthquakes much, is it normal for the location of an epicenter to be so precise?

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.8-magnitude quake at 3:59:33 a.m. centered in a farm field on Plank Road in Elgin near Hampshire

That seems pretty precise, no?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Pharyax

You posted a link to a .gov web site.

Oh.... so you are saying because it's a .gov website, it's 'disinformation' eh? lol.. you lost me.

When you say you "worked with "special" weapons in the military" explain exactly what you mean. Neutrinos are completely harmless, and scientists are actually looking into creating a neutrino pulse that can disarm nuclear warheads. Is this the 'weapon' you speak of? If not, explain what other weapons you're talking about.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I live pretty close to Fermilab and did not feel the quake that night. My wife however recalls a banging sound. She thought one of the kids fell out of bed.

There are no fault lines around here that I know of so my first thought was something man made.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I'm thinking that this might be more than a coincidence.
I was plotting the positions on a map, too.
It seems a few others have beat me to posting the plot lines.

The line of travel of the neutrinos flows right through the epicenter!

And there is no fault anywhere near this area.

One more thing, while I'm not up on earthquakes much, is it normal for the location of an epicenter to be so precise?

That seems pretty precise, no?

It doesn't mean anything. This detector is simply that. A detector. It doesn't send out ANY signal, and cannot attract neutrinos. The detector simply sits down there, hoping a neutrino hits the detector.

They must be VERY patient people.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I would like to say that I for one would prefer if a collider had caused this earthquake. Because it is not in a neccesarily earthquake prone area and was felt so far away, discriptions of the shaking, ect., if it is a natural event it is rare, and a sign of much worse to come. So roll with this conspiracy that a collider caused it, that would be better. This could indicate a new fault line, since the quake was felt all the way out to michigan and wisconsin, imagine the area of damage if a major fault shifted.

www.aolnews.com...

<<   2 >>

join