It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Looks to Breed Immortal "Synthetic Organisms"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Pentagon Looks to Breed Immortal "Synthetic Organisms"

blacklistednews.com

The Pentagon’s mad science arm may have come up with its most radical project yet. Darpa is looking to re-write the laws of evolution to the military’s advantage, creating “synthetic organisms” that can live forever — or can be killed with the flick of a molecular switch.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
As part of its budget for the next year, Darpa is investing $6 million into a project called BioDesign, with the goal of eliminating “the randomness of natural evolutionary advancement.”
My personal opinion is this. It would probably be one of the greatest creations of mankind but could also be the downfall

blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A little scary, but as long as the military handles it cautiously, then all is fine.

And the potential for this is huge. Imagine nano-machines that can power anything with nano-motors or perhaps machines that digest raw sewage and emit the base elements into any form like H20. Now that's what I call recycling.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Let's not forget that CANCER is the oldest "immortal organism."

Findings Support Study Of Telomerase As Potential Single, Specific Anti-Cancer Target

MENLO PARK, CA — December 23, 1994 — An "immortalizing enzyme" known as telomerase is active in many different kinds of cancers and cancer cell lines, but is not found in the normal tissues from which those cancers arose, according to a study published today in Science by researchers from The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and Geron Corp.

These results confirm and extend earlier studies suggesting that telomerase might be a specific and universal marker for cancer with potential as a target for anti-tumor diagnostics and therapeutics.

"IMMORTALIZING ENZYME" DETECTED IN MANY TYPES OF CANCER

Check out this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Findings Support Study Of Telomerase As Potential Single, Specific Anti-Cancer Target

MENLO PARK, CA — December 23, 1994 — An "immortalizing enzyme" known as telomerase is active in many different kinds of cancers and cancer cell lines, but is not found in the normal tissues from which those cancers arose, according to a study published today in Science by researchers from The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and Geron Corp.

These results confirm and extend earlier studies suggesting that telomerase might be a specific and universal marker for cancer with potential as a target for anti-tumor diagnostics and therapeutics.

Check out this thread:

Hm, I don't understand your logic. Apparently a cellular response to a certain environmental input is an organism?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
$6,000,000 for this one project?
Either it's a good thing or a bad thing. If this is meant for researching cancer it's an awful small amount to invest, but if it's meant for something "evil" like blacklistednews likes to report on then it's a massive downscale from past projects they've funded.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by socrates271

I just think that guy is just pointing out the fact that telmorase does make cancer cells immoratal because of enzyme replaces the telomeres on the chromosomes, that being said cancer cells are not immortal in the true definition of the word. and yes cancer cells would be considered organisms as they are just cells that have a messed up cell cycle and a gene turned on that shouldnt be. i wonder if this is the begining of the nano tech age, its been hoped that nanobots in the blood could stop illness maybe this is the begining

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by socrates271

Originally posted by soficrow

Check out this thread:

Hm, I don't understand your logic. Apparently a cellular response to a certain environmental input is an organism?

Cancer is arguably much more than a "cellular response" - and is implicated frequently as infectious.

...But I don't consider cancer to be an organism though, which is why I put the phrase in quotes. ...Most likely, most infectious cancers are best compared with infectious prions - not organisms because they're not "alive" according to current dogma.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't know...but I read somewhere that the alien Grays were synthetic organisms as are the MIB.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Good...finally I can get that Mogwai that I've always wanted !!! I love gremlins !!!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So has anyone seen or found any evidence of this topic yet?
Kinda funny how things are over looked

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I tend to head over to danger room for all things DARPA,and yep,they have it covered:

www.wired.com...

Kill switch included! Hooray...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Anyone any idea how far they are with this now?
Another thread gone to waste.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I met one of these today...

it was called a 'banker'

regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sounds like Synthoid technology to me.

Now if DARPA can get it to change shape or transform, hmmm.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
"Darpa is looking to re-write the laws of evolution"

How can these idiots assume they can even pretend to screw with nature? They will destroy us all. Many ancient civilizations have destroyed themselves because they screwed around, blaspheming what nature has provided us with. We are on the same course all because DARPA wants to develop immortal beings to project American power.

If a being is immortal, why the hell does DARPA assume it will follow their commands? Being immortal, one would not belong to anyone or anything except their own existence. This is so wrong.
edit on 1-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
DARPA, DARPA, DARPA

What on earth are you really up to?
Immortal synthetic organisms
The X37-B massive secrecy and also earth bound and now the NASA announcement?

Is it just me that's seeing this and feeling that something really wrong is going on?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Now this really reminds me of the replicators from stargate

WE MUST STOP THEM BEFORE THEY FIND OUT THE EXACT COORDINATES OF ATLANTIS!

edit on 2/12/2010 by Pakd-on-mystery because: I suck at spelling..

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sounds like the new environmental suits are ready to be beamed into. Now where are the new candidates to be exited from their current OLD FASHION WORM SUITS.. forgot its ea inhabitants. Waits for the new environmental suit replacer to come flying by

BUT I DONT WANNA SUIT I WANNA BE ME

new topics

top topics

join