It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 17,000 chemicals remain corporate secrets – even the EPA doesn't know what they are

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Nearly 17,000 chemicals remain corporate secrets – even the EPA doesn't know what they are

www.naturalnews.com

The 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) requires that manufacturers of products containing potentially toxic chemicals disclose their ingredients to the federal government, however a loophole in the requirement allows manufacturers to arbitrarily withhold information that they deem sensitive to their business. As a result, over 17,000 product chemicals remain secret not only from the public but from government officials.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Each year, over 700 new chemicals are introduced by manufacturers, many of which do not get disclosed either to the public or to government agencies. About 95 percent of new chemical notices submitted to the government request some kind of secrecy. Critics allege that manufacturers are exploiting the original intent of TSCA, abusing it to hide sensitive information about ingredients that are likely toxic and may otherwise get banned.

For the first time in many years, Congress is addressing the issue of disclosure abuse with promises of reforming the regulatory provisions. Consumer and environmental groups, in conjunction with many government officials, are demanding that all ingredient information be made public with no exceptions.

always thought manufacturers are held accountable for chemicals in their products, I am surprised to know about this new info. When it comes down to the rights of manufacturers versus the rights of individuals, people always lose. Hopefully this will bring us some of the right to know we should have had all along.

Talk about a "Chemical life" !!

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
"chemical" is such a terrible word to use..
We over analyze them and believe they are all bad.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
"chemical" is such a terrible word to use..
We over analyze them and believe they are all bad.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The EPA considers di-hydrogen oxide to be a hazardous chemical. I think that the EPA need abolished.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Please tell me you are joking.
Pretty please?

First off, double check teh spelling and then read this.

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

dhmo

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Please tell me you are joking.
Pretty please?

First off, double check teh spelling and then read this.

(Emphasis added)

Ok, yeah. Dubble cheque teh speling.

Top it off with some tasty D2O.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'm dead serious. I believe that my spelling is correct. Right now I expect to encounter di-hydrogen oxide in it's solid form on my way home this evening. It will create a hazard, placing me at great risk.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You're being unfair. EPA declared water a hazard only in its gaseous form, water vapour.

So solid doesn't count.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir

You're being unfair. EPA declared water a hazard only in its gaseous form, water vapour.

So solid doesn't count.

I never said anything about the EPA being involved with the problem I'm going to have in about an hour. I'm a little East of Pittsburgh and have a 40 mile drive home. Right now it is snowing like crazy and the roads are a mess. Last time I checked snow and ice are the solid form of di-hydrogen oxide.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Sorry then, misinterpreted your post.

About freezing temperatures up there in the north hemisphere, it is really dangerous.

Here in the south, it is another story...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Its all about money I have two words to prove this

Rumsfeld+aspertame= profit

Aspertame documentary

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Couldn't think of anything of value to add so you pick on a typo? One thing to switch letters by accident, quite another to not understand a compound you are scrutinizing.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What is scarey is the amount of chemicals that are out there. Basically what the article points out is there is the stuff we know about, which is scarey in itself, and the stuff we don't know about!

Many of the cleaners and detergents we use around the home have a toxicity scale of one. You clean your bathtub with it, then bathe your thin skinned child in it.

Fabric softener contains some of the most toxic chemicals of all, and we wear it 24 hours a day.

toxic fabric softener

toxic household cleaners

I hate the commercials for toxic cleaners where it shows a mother cleaning away germs and making it "safe". The chemicals in that cleaner are far more deadly then any germ in that kitchen.

Do you know that simply mixing windex and bleach causes a very toxic fume?
Ammonia and bleach make a dangerous chlorine gas.
dangers of chlorine and bleach

Not only that, it doesn't break down in the environment. So now it is being recycled through the water system.

I used to work for a large environmental laboratory company. I saw stuff that you wouldnt' believe is legal to be allowed into the environment.

And yes, it does leak into the environment.

I have seen highly toxic tests come up positive in schools.

I have mentioned this before, but my most sobering moment was when some engineers came in with groundwater samples that were the color and fizziness of mountain dew. That is what I thought it was. When I asked the matrix, they said groundwater. I said what the hell is in it? They said, we didn't know. We were digging the site for homes and came across it.

So being in the field, I can tell you the EPA does a fair amount of work. But like so many agencies, when your up against the big corps, it is hard to compete.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Ok hon you are close it is Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Shout at to da Burgh! It is my hometown.

Hope you made it home safe and sound.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Couldn't think of anything of value to add so you pick on a typo? One thing to switch letters by accident, quite another to not understand a compound you are scrutinizing.

In this rare instance, after quite a giggle, I felt it was appropot. I was left sucking too much oxygen monoxide, which is known in excessive doses to a alter human judgement. It's so addictive that mothers pass this dependency onto their children in the womb. Something must be done to fight this menace.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
while we;re at it, lets not forget about fluoride. we can get anything put into the drinking water with enough money.
so your di-hydro comment is true as long as it comes from a municipal source.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If the EPA were that concerned they could do a chemical breakdown of any product out there and get the list that way.

I am going to have to agree that the word chemical might be being used to make the story more powerful and catchy.

Besides do you know every chemical and its effects before bringing it into your home? I have yet to see any home with a MSDS on all the products in their home. I am willing to bet though you could get one for the products of your home over the internet.

Raist

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes I mde it. Took 5 hours to go 30 miles. My fault on the typo. I caught crap from my wife about it too. I'm the Engineer, she's the Chemist. What can I say? The college I went to got one look at my military records and decided that I wouldn't get near the Chem lab.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Lol you are a smart couple then. Hey, I still haven't lived down the time in high school when I hooked up the bunsen burner to the water nozzle instead of gas and turned it on full force.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join