It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Apologia Pro Evolution (Like, are all atheists, like, as totally smart as, um, these guys?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
These, umm ah, like, Atheist dudes, um, ah, like totally school this, um, fifteen year old, like, girl who, um we think may have, um, like, been trying to, um, debunk evolution with, um, some, like totally, like, loaded, um, questions.

Just, um, like listen to their, um brilliant, um, defense of, like evolution in the, ah, following vid:

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

With guys like this standing up for evolution, the creationists don't stand a chance.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by FortAnthem

I'm of the opinion both sides of the debate and indeed the debate it's self is silly. The core ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
removed.

[edit on 2/3/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I fail to see how these guys are representative of all atheists everywhere, of course when you have people defending their beliefs some are going to be unprepared to answer any real questions. My point is that some people defend atheism and evolution like it is their religion of choice.

Much like Televangelists I don't think we should judge all atheists on the basis of a few bad apples.

I think part of the reason Evolution is so little understood is because it is a contentious issue in schools. Instead of becoming well versed in Evolutionary theory biology classes tend to breeze over the subject for fear of stirring anyone up. You've heard of the Darwin film that recently came out which the makers didn't want to sell in the USA... My point is that some people are so set in their ways and believing on blind faith that they don't have to be knowledgeable or come off as highly intelligent and even when presented with sound science will refuse it in favor of their beliefs.

That goes for religion and that goes for science (every other theory that was proven wrong has had a few proponents resist no matter how sound the new theory).

As for Evolution my stance is simple, Evolution has zero to do with biogenesis (how life began) and is intent, instead on explaining the differences and similarities in lifeforms. For instance it cannot be coincidence that other apes have thumbs or that we are so genetically similar to them, the Bible does not account for any of that, so Evolution is a logical and scientifically sound alternative to a God who just conjured a bunch of species all Willy-Nilly in the course of a day or a week. That is not to say that no God exists or tha the spark of life could not have come from some higher power but that right now Evolution is the best theory on how life became very diverse while remaining genetically very similar .

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
another pathetic thread generalizing 'the other side' as idiots, or whatever it may be at that time.

So, these guys are fools. Does it prove anything? Does it further the debate? Does it help either side?

No, its just a sad attempt at generalizing and propaganda.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Hey, I just posted this for a few laughs.

If I were an athiest, I would want to wring these guy's necks for making athiests look like illiterate, babbeling idiots.

reply to post by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

So, these guys are fools. Does it prove anything? Does it further the debate? Does it help either side?

No, it doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

It's just funny watching that guy babble and stammer through his answers.

If you can find a similar vid of some Evangelical type guy doing the same thing, I'd love to see it.

A little humor never hurt anyone.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Hey, I just posted this for a few laughs.

If I ware an athiest, I would want to wring these guy's necks for making athiests look like illiterate babbeling idiots.

Because what? Every atheist represents every other atheist?

Are you christian? Do you want to 'string up' the christian idiots, or extremists for that matter, because they represent you?

most people are able to see people as individuals and realize that the views of one dont cover the views of all.

Being upset at these guys would require me to care whaqt they have to say. Which I dont.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I respect others peoples beliefs, but I am an atheist.

I do believe in Science for 1 reason, AND 1 REASON ONLY
In science, there is proof

Unlike the bible

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Of course evolution can't be proven !
Only to think about the time scale nescesary to even see divercety and little changes over time taking place, is not even possible to grab this concept and relate it to our short life span.

So a chalenge is borne to adopt a theory which on it self can never be proven with cold hard evidence.

However so is creation.
Our puny human intelect can not understand what it can not comprehend.

This is why religionists believes are an undiscussible subject do to th 'believe' factor attached to it. A believe is always true.

Evolutionists should be ashamed of them selfes when they dis regard a theory based on believe.
They are fully aware of the lack on evidence backing up their theory, yet they almost dogmatise it. Creating the very situation they tried to escape, choosing science as there way of life.

There is still so much to learn and my gut feeling tells me the truth will end up somewhere in the middle.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Because these guys are setting themselves up as Athiesm experts on their show. They claim to represent the views of athiests.

Being upset at these guys would require me to care whaqt they have to say. Which I dont.

You sure seem upset to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If you are suggesting that these guys may not be the best folks to explain the theory of evolution, you may be correct. Now I challenge you to find and post the link or include here a video of ANYONE of your choice showing an inteligent and REALISTIC (not fantasy tooth fairy stuff) on the theory of Creation, I would like to see it. Because no matter who you post showing their support for some of the BS coming from the creation story, you will be laughed at by anyone who doesnt suffer the curse of organized religions deep brainwashing. How else can a normal person beleive in talking snakes, and serpents, and donkeys, and money in a fish, a man living in a fish for three days, JEEZ, I can go on and on for hours. See, you cant find anything about creation that isnt absolutely idiotic at best.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Because these guys are setting themselves up as Athiesm experts on their show. They claim to represent the views of athiests.

You sure seem upset to me.

Again, and? These guys call themselves experts, so they represent everyone?
If thats the case, I am now considering myself an expert on the bible. Jesus was actually an emu. So i say, so it is.

Getting it yet?

And no, im not upset. Nor am I laughing(except at the sheer naivete of this thread). Just trying to point out how foolish this sounds...

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If it was just for giggles and meant to be funny, why did you post it in Origins and Creationism Conspiracy and not BTS Jokes?

---

As far as the video goes, as this is obviously not representative of all atheists just as I would not expect to judge all Christians by the actions of Jimmy Swaggart or Benny Hinn, I fail to see what the serious point would be.

Last, um... like, as I like am an athiest, um, I would totally like not radically speak like this dude. It's a poor argument to make. I'd prefer to see a well researched, peer-reviewed study on the intelligence levels of theists vs atheists. Of course, that wouldn't be terrible funny.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

Now I challenge you to find and post the link or include here a video of ANYONE of your choice showing an inteligent and REALISTIC (not fantasy tooth fairy stuff) on the theory of Creation, I would like to see it.

Here you go. I think you'll enjoy this.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sorry FortAnthem, Creation and I.D. is not the same. Unlike the theory of creation, intelligent design is based on science, not silly sacred texts.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Sorry FortAnthem, Creation and I.D. is not the same. Unlike the theory of creation, intelligent design is based on science, not silly sacred texts.

Now you're just splitting hairs.

To bad you didn't watch the vid. You would have got a kick out of it. (hint: it pokes fun at creationists)

Some people do know how to laugh at themselves you know.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Evolution is a very young and a very incomplete theory, at best. For anyone to throw in the towel and blindly accept a half-baked theory as "the last word" is sheer stupidity.

While a titillating theory, Evolution still has too many holes in it to be accepted as incontrovertible "fact"... One glaring flaw in the theory is that evidence continues to mount that the evolutionary timeline is all screwed up, that certain species appear to have existed for much longer than Science wants us to believe.

Humankind is a good example.

While science pretends to understand the evolution and origins of Man, there are new discoveries made with some regularity demonstrating that Mankind has existed on Earth far longer than we've been led to believe, with possible multiple origins over seemingly impossible distances.

For example, discoveries of Cro Magnon-like humans have been found in far eastern Asia, at excavation depths much deeper than anything found in Europe or the Middle East — indicating, apparently, that Cro Magnon originated in the far east and migrated westward, possibly 750,000 years before they were even supposed to exist.

This throws a huge monkey-wrench into evolutionary theory, one that requires a lot of backtracking and rewriting of many textbooks. Scientists will tell you that this doesn't disprove evolutionary theory, but it makes the debate far more complicated.

My point is, it doesn't make sense to "believe in" Evolution any more than it makes sense to "believe in" Creationism. They're equally-flawed theories that originated in the same place: The eminently-fallible human brain.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Well said Doc. (you obviously hold a doctorate in "smart thinkin")

Evolution, intelligent design and creationism are all THEORIES. Theories have been known to come and go as more information is learned and have been known to have been tossed out as new theories evolve.

In the end, we'll probably never know for sure until we meet our maker.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobsauce13
I do believe in Science for 1 reason, AND 1 REASON ONLY...In science, there is proof...Unlike the bible

Yet, the Bible has existed for some 2000 years as a compilation of writings, and the Bible has been studied by more intellectuals over the centuries than any scientific subject.

There is, indeed, an amassed wealth of anthropological evidence supporting much if not most of the Bible. To deny that fact is anti-intellectualism.

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus provided many accounts of individuals and incidents that are referenced nowhere else except in the Bible — The works of Josephus are still required reading for scholars studying that period in history, and Josephus provided much information essential to understanding other Biblical-era works such as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Josephus, in his historical texts, refers to John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth, and other Biblical figures in an historical context, rather than in a religious context. So, any claim that these characters exist only in the Bible is an uninformed claim.

Typically, the die-hard atheists reach all the way back to Genesis for "proof" that the entire Bible is flawed; however, Genesis is readily acknowledged by historical scholars and theists alike as a hodgepodge of oral traditions and mythic folklore probably dating back 4000 years BCE.

The book of Genesis is, by no means, an historical document and should not be considered as such, except in context with other similar texts from ancient Mesopotamia (modern Iraq). When compared to the Epic of Gilgamesh, for example, it becomes apparent that much of Genesis is based on stories related in this ancient Sumerian epic.

In this respect, we have proof that these stories existed outside of the Bible and may indeed be based on long-forgotten historical events that became legends.

Anyway, whenever you hear an atheist claim that "there is no proof behind the Bible," you can assume with a fair degree of certainty that the atheist doesn't know anything about the Bible OR history. Such claims are nonsensical.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Are you christian?

Does it matter?

Do you want to 'string up' the christian idiots, or extremists

Name calling is for idiots.

Originally posted by noobsauce13
I respect others peoples beliefs, but I am an atheist.

I do believe in Science for 1 reason, AND 1 REASON ONLY
In science, there is proof

Unlike the bible

Many people blame their own life problems on the bible and religion....they don't realize that the rest of us debaters who want to stick to the subject at hand, really don't care what they have to say...at all!

organized religions deep brainwashing.

Again, someone who...ah nevermind, its useless,

How else can a normal person beleive in talking snakes, and serpents, and donkeys, and money in a fish

There were talking animals...

Sometimes the term "serpent" is used to describe an evil individual, not only an animal.

a man living in a fish for three days

He was in disobidience.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join