It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burmese whistle-blowers sentenced to death - BBC source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Burmese whistle-blowers sentenced to death - BBC source

news.bbc.co.uk

Two Burmese officials have been sentenced to death for leaking details of secret government visits to North Korea and Russia, the BBC has learned.

The officials were also found guilty of leaking information about military tunnels allegedly built in Burma by North Korea, a source in Burma said.

A third person was jailed for 15 years, the source added.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The tunnels are said to be large enough to accommodate heavy vehicles

The source told BBC Burmese that Win Naing Kyaw, a former army major, and Thura Kyaw, a clerk at the European desk of Burma's foreign ministry, had been sentenced to death by a court in Rangoon on Thursday.

They were found guilty of leaking information about government visits to North Korea and Russia, which reportedly took place in 2008 and 2006.

The two men were also convicted of leaking details of a network of tunnels reportedly being built in Burma.

It is thought the tunnels were built to house communications systems, possible weapons factories and troops in the event of an invasion.

Wow' that's cruel. I had no idea about Burma's relation with N. Korea. What would N.Korea's interest be in helping Burma? And what purpose are the tunnels being built for?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Yeah I've worked with Burmese refugees who had to flee the military regime since they were doing whistle blowing work -- well just any kind of democratic political work is illegal.

This John Pilger documentary on Burma -- filmed in secret -- is really amazing to witness first hand footage of the massacres:

video.google.com...#

[edit on 27-1-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I've known about these tunnels for quite some time now

Crazy Kimmy must have gotten flaming angry when this info was leaked.

Burma????

Hey wait a minute..........
Is this all a puppet show?

See here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Something doesn't seem right here

DecemberRain, I hope i'm not derailing the thread but I think something is odd here with NK's relation with Burma.

Worker shareholders stepped up their global campaign to end corporate support for Burma’s military dictatorship at Halliburton’s

Halliburton’s recent activities in Burma include its participation in the Yadana pipeline, a project that used forced labor. The Yadana pipeline is one of the largest foreign investments in Burma, projected to provide the military-controlled regime with $150-$400 million annually for decades.

Halliburton denies it does business in Burma. A report by Kenny Bruno and Jim Valette in the May issue of Multinational Monitor details Halliburton’s Burmese energy development projects, including the notorious Yadana and Yetagun pipelines.

An investigation of that project concluded that "construction and operation of the pipelines has involved the use of forced labor, forced relocation and even murder, torture and rape," write Bruno and Valette. "In addition, as the largest foreign investment projects in Burma, the pipelines will provide revenue to prop up the regime, perhaps for decades to come."

Unocal, another U.S. company doing business in Burma, is being sued by victims of forced labor on the Yadana project. Halliburton’s involvement in the Yadana project occurred during Vice President Cheney’s tenure as CEO of the company.

www.ranknfile-ue.org...

Something is very odd.

It almost seems like the U.S. vs. NK is just a puppet show????

Sorry to derail the thread a lil bit.
Please carry on

[edit on 27-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Not at all derailing mate. All and any info is welcome always

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

you couldnt derail a train with dynamite !!!lol IMO ..hehe

cool info tho

[edit on 27-1-2010 by StaceyWilson]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Anyone watch John Pilger's Land of Fear yet?

video.google.com...#

Amazing documentary!!

new topics

top topics

join