It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing Music In Reverse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It’s what I’ve been told the teenagers from the sixties and seventies used to do. And it's true! For anyone who doesn’t know just ask someone who was a teenager at the time. What I’m saying is true.
Why were they doing that you ask?
Good question.
I grew up hearing from people at the churches I used to go to that rock n roll was demonic. And that demonic messages could be heard if a rock n roll record were played backwards. This is not the case IMHO.
As a musician and a student of language the concept behind what these young people were doing when playing their records backwards was intriguing, and so I have looked into it.
It’s BACKMASKING !!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding.
You might think so. And in some cases it is. It’s done deliberately and one can hear in the normal forward progession of the song when backmasking has taken place. It makes a really weird sound in regular time.
There is a theory that music and speech are both reversible.

The theory states that reversals are encoded like messages coming from the unconscious mind. I don’t profess to understand it all , but it was intriguing enough and real enough for thousands of American and UK teens to start playing their record players in reverse starting back in the 60’s.
The man who looked into these speech reversals is named David Oates. He is an Australian and rose to popularity Down Under back in the 80's with his speech reversals. More on him and these speech reversals can be found at Mr Oates' site.
Check out the site for reverse speech here

www.reversespeech.com...

A Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana has been reversed and posted up on youtube.

The person who has posted this on YouTube is simply playing it backwards and listening for Cobain’s reversals. Check this out. It is so far out

www.youtube.com...

As a musician and a student of language I am very fond of sound. Speech reversals strike me as intriguing as they did to so many teenagers in the sixties who were finding them from playing records backwards.The theory is that the same thing happens in music and in speech.

If they are real, then DO they pick up on what the subconscious mind is saying?
I can hear the words “I’m suicidal” from the Cobain clip. Listen to it.
Though the Cobain clip is fascinating I don’t agree with all of what the poster is hearing. And it takes several seconds before I can hear anything that resembles speech.
But it’s surreal, isn’t it?

Any respectful replies will be welcomed.

And here is Heart Shaped Box in forwards for anyone who wants it
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
so are you saying that Cobain was unintentionally singing lyrics that would sound like that backwards? cause he certainly made no secret of his feelings while he was alive.

and I dont believe in the whole people putting messages in songs thing. its easier just to make the song with lyrics that can be heard. I mean GG Allin had a song called "expose yourself to kids". no hidden message there, just straight forward insanity. and even in the 70's there was a band called Coven that put a black mass on an album

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

I am saying many different things here. The theory behind the reversals would be similar to what you call " unintentionally singing backwards" but not really . You have to look into it more to see all that I am getting at. Did you look at the founder's site? There are a lot of other people out there using this stuff as well. It's a weird topic, but there's lots of info on the web.
He doesn't know he's singing these things and he cannot control it , according to the theory.
The theory states in short, that this comes from the unconscious mind. Cobain cannot help singing it, so to speak.
The theory would suggest that his suicidal tendency or feeling was evident in his reversals from this song. And even though you don't realize it, what you said about how obvious he was or how open he was about those feelings in real life is something that would be called "congruency" according to the theory.
He was suicidal both consciously AND subconsciously; according to the theory.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Fascinating~

You may also appreciate this...www.yourinnervoice.com...

Speech analyst Jon Kelly at James Gilliland's ECETI Ranch

Consciousness capabilities are Amazing~

LOVE

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Also, people DO put messages in songs, dude, whether you believe it or not! lmao It's called backmasking. It's different.
Musicians are very open about having done it in several cases, Pink Floyd for example.

And some musicians are just straight forward insanity like the song you mentioned called "exposing yourself to kids". I don't care about any song with that name. And I don't see what it has to do with the thread.
Musicians are usually far out people and most people know that. But that doesn't mean they are insane by any means.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

I'm glad you find it fascinating.

Thanks for posting those videos.

I will check them out. I knew of the ranch from the piece the ATS guys made.
I didn't know there was a presentation on speech reversals given there though.
Very cool. Thank you so much.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

S&F definitely subscribing to this thread. I noticed though that several very good threads like this one are suddenly popping up. I will certainly be back to this one, very interested.

Raist

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

We had an album, the song "highway to heaven" when we played it manually backwards, (my brother discovered this first on his stereo when we were teenagers) the words that were stananic were placed on top of the music. Ie, you could hear the music and the singing go backwards underneath an obvious additon. It was exactly where the lyrics went "theres still time to change the path you're on". What lept out the first chip n dale fast, then we did it slower had to do with 666 and it was complete paragraph. But, I wont repeat it. Thats like a no go for me.

In any case, this is something I paid attention to:

Illuminati, Music Industry and why Michael Jackson was killed - High Definition Part 1

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
No matter how many times people claim reverse speech, I fail to hear it. I even fail to hear it when it's pointed out. A pretty glaring clue is that it HAS TO BE pointed out for people to allegedly hear.

I know people did all sorts of reverse-tape tricks way back when... I'm just talking about the reverse speech stuff.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Thanks , Raist.
Cool. Glad to be part of a creative vibe.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Have you ever listened to 2pac's album killilluminati backwords?

all the songs mostly talking about illuminati and what they do? even if you listen to the song simply...you can hear subtly who they are talking about.

heck even the album name backwords is Illuminati Kill

just a thought

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think that's a real plausible theory, I wish Carl Jung could be here to diddle with it. I think that's a good assumption though, through the subconscious thought creating a message. Love it! I'm also a big fan of Nirvana, they're my favorite band and Kurt is my first real idol

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I hear you saying that that album had an example of backmasking. You recognized the weird forward sound that goes along with backmasking.
Interesting that you caught that.
Other cases IMHO are different. No backmasking, no satanic messages.
According to the reverse speech theory the word satan can appear in someone's reverse speech. So can the word messiah, wolf, rocelyn and cyclone, among others. They are all metaphors , according to the theory, used by the language of the unconscious.

With this in mind I cannot believe that the Illuminati , whoever they ACTUALLY are, would require someone to put satanic messages into their music . People might be hearing reversals.
The lyrics in some of the songs in that video were just lyrics, IMHO, my ATS friend.
They are artists who are writing about a force they believe is trying to control them.
Maybe you are right, and someone / something IS trying to control them, but they are expressing their feelings in either situation.
I am a singer- songwriter- guitarplayer and I know the release that comes with creating as well as performing originals. Only originals are all your own emotions, all your own words, and all your own music.

I hadn't heard that MJ song before. It's sad what he went through.

When M&M writes "make me king" it's just what he wants to sing. It's just what he wants to say. And he's done it musically so it expresses something much more deeply than if he were to just say "make me king".
He might actually want to BE king

But he would be like many in the world if he does and it's not really the point.
I don't think he's a puppet for the illuminati or anything like that.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Hey leftystrat. I hear ya, man.
You can't hear 'em

OK,
BUT, being able to hear reversals is not a requirement for playing a lefthanded strat

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rentor

No I have not heard that.
I find that hip hop and rap has some of the most extraordinary poetry I've ever seen though.

Killuminati is a good name for an album.

I don't know a lot about rap or hip hop, just that there's a lot I like. And not just for the lyrics, I like the music too.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
When I was a teenager (about 20 years ago) I also played highway to heaven backwards. My dad had it on a real-to-real. I wrapped the tape on backwards and then played it forwards. It most definately IS THERE. It has been a long time, but it's stuck with me. Freaked me out. It's during the musical portion towards the middle. I can't remember it all, but he said, in a very demonic voice: "He is coming, he is coming soon. He will rise up..." I can't remember the rest. I know 666, and "sign of the beast" was said...and a bunch of other stuff. It gave me chills.

I tried several other songs, using my record player and manually spinning it backwards. I found a couple of clips in Prince's Purple Rain album, but it was more sexual than evil.

Anyways...I just wanted to throw out there that I know first hand it is REAL.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tantalus

I'm glad that you love it!

Indeed , if only Karl were around to fiddle with the idea

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you for that, westcoast.

Prince used to be quite the naughty song writer.

"Darling Nikki is a song produced, arranged, composed and performed by Prince and originally released on his Grammy Award-winning 1984 album, Purple Rain. Though the song was not released as a single, it gained wide notoriety for its sexual lyrics. Partly because of the lyrical content of "Darling Nikki," Tipper Gore founded the Parents Music Resource Center, which eventually led to the use of "Parental Advisory" stickers and imprints on album covers."

en.wikipedia.org...

The foo fighters do an amazing job covering it even though Prince is bothered by it being done.

Ok, so I was just looking up Darling Nikki for you to tell you about it , which I posted above, right?

Look what it says right below on the Wiki site

"The song tells the story of a "sex fiend" named Nikki who seduces the singer. In the film Purple Rain, the song is directed toward Apollonia Kotero's character when she decides to work with Prince's character's rival, played by Morris Day.

Near the end of the song, the music stops into the sound of rain and wind. There is singing, but played in reverse. The vocals, unreversed, are Prince singing,

"Hello, how are you?
I'm fine 'cause I know that the Lord is coming soon
Coming, coming soon."[1]
During the Purple Rain tour performances of "Darling Nikki", the recording at the end was played forward. This can be heard in the live video Prince and the Revolution Live."

I kid you not. Speech reversals on the Wiki page as I was looking up the info to post for you about Darling Nikki. I couldn't believe it had something about speech reversals when I just went there on the Darling Nikki tangent.
That is SO god#$mn cool.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Its all the more reason to have artists self promote and do grass roots campaigns so they can be free. That was years ago too, and at the time I thought there were just a few bands like this, now, I am far more of the opinon it is a world wide conspiracy and control from the bloodlines. I believe Arizona Wilder, who was interviewed by David Icke, she was geniunely terrified during the interview and tramatized. So, our world is run by psychos, and their agenda seems to be to keep us co-creating subconsciously this world by being influenced by countless media manipulations and chaotic events.

The thread Bach to the Future has a binaural on it for download called compassion. It has positive subliminal messages in it. I listen to alot of binauarals, and whales and dolphin sounds as well. The back to the future one is wonderful. But the compassion does something else, I spontaneously envisioned a wonderful world, and every time I listen to it feel incredibly uplifted. It affects me. Just imagine what kind effect negative NLP and subliminal messages have, and they're layered in all our media, from music to the news and entertainment. Even the way words are chosen in titles and headings on magazine covers is NLP.

I did some research for the idea I had of using audacity, and some of the free sounds on freesound.org, along with pure binaurals I had downloaded, of adding my own positive messages, and while researching how to add subliminal messages, my internet went off over and over again. Then hours later, when I had forgotten, and thought it may be a coincidence, I thought to post it on another board, and instantly, before I hit enter, my internet was off again. Apparently a very deep rabbit hole. One we need to take back as our own, somehow.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Its all the more reason to have artists self promote and do grass roots campaigns so they can be free. That was years ago too, and at the time I thought there were just a few bands like this, now, I am far more of the opinon it is a world wide conspiracy and control from the bloodlines. I believe Arizona Wilder, who was interviewed by David Icke, she was geniunely terrified during the interview and tramatized. So, our world is run by psychos, and their agenda seems to be to keep us co-creating subconsciously this world by being influenced by countless media manipulations and chaotic events.

The thread Bach to the Future has a binaural on it for download called compassion. It has positive subliminal messages in it. I listen to alot of binauarals, and whales and dolphin sounds as well. The back to the future one is wonderful. But the compassion does something else, I spontaneously envisioned a wonderful world, and every time I listen to it feel incredibly uplifted. It affects me. Just imagine what kind effect negative NLP and subliminal messages have, and they're layered in all our media, from music to the news and entertainment. Even the way words are chosen in titles and headings on magazine covers is NLP.

I did some research for the idea I had of using audacity, and some of the free sounds on freesound.org, along with pure binaurals I had downloaded, of adding my own positive messages, and while researching how to add subliminal messages, my internet went off over and over again. Then hours later, when I had forgotten, and thought it may be a coincidence, I thought to post it on another board, and instantly, before I hit enter, my internet was off again. Apparently a very deep rabbit hole. One we need to take back as our own, somehow.

You were looking for how to imbed subliminal messages and your internet kept going off ?
Weird.
TPTB?
Wasn't the right time?

I'm not familiar with binaurals. Though bi is two and aural is hearing or of the ear.
I will check out Bach to the future. I just mentioned Bach on another completely unrelated thread with respect to the Solfeggio scale like a few minutes ago.
You and westcoast are synching with me tonight on this thread.
His mention of Prince led me to post what I wrote above . It literally took me to a page about Darling Nikki where it mentioned music reversals from Purple Rain, and reversing music is the topic of this thread.
Also it got me to mention the foo fighters covering the Nikki song and so it actually links back to the Nirvana element of the thread because of dave grohl.

Our world is run by psychos indeed, Unity.
I've heard of Arizona Wilder and read about CIA and MKUltra before. Since this thread is about reversals I will mention that it could be interesting to hear reversals on Arizona Wilder as well as Cathy O'Brian.

Or on David Icke as well.

I'm interested in your positive subliminal messaging. IMHO it sounds a lot like hypnosis. That's all hypnosis is really. Or meant to be actually.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join