It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Object Behaves Both Like a Comet and Asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I wonder what this object is. It has the the features of both comets and asteriods. So lets us hope that this object is categorized soon so that we know how these celestial objects go about and what implications they hae for earth.

And this will help us understand how gravity affects the bodies in the universe.

Something awfully curious is happening 250 million miles away in the asteroid belt. Astronomers think they may be witnessing a never-before-seen collision between two asteroids.

The puzzle centers on a newly discovered object that superficially looks like a comet but lives among the asteroids.

The strange object was discovered on January 6 by the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR) sky survey. The object appears to be in an orbit inside the main asteroid belt -- not a place where comets usually dwell.

The distinction? Comets swoop along elliptical orbits close in to the sun and grow long gaseous and dusty tails as ices sublimate off their solid nucleus and release dust. But asteroids are mostly in more circular orbits and are not normally expected to be as volatile as comets.

SOurce: news.discovery.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
nibiru? somebody had to say it and quite frankly i am a beliver that mankind DOESNT know everything. in fact, we dont know crap...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
DEATHSTAR!! its comming for us!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

i am a beliver that mankind DOESNT know everything. in fact, we dont know crap...
couldnt of said it better myself not sure about the whole nibiru thing. one thing i am sure about is we don't know nothing really

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

You'll have a hard time finding any scientist or anyone with an interest in science claiming we know everything. However, not knowing everything is a far cry from knowing "crap". We know a lot and are learning more all the time.

The object being discussed is in an orbit inside the main asteroid belt. The mythical planet Nibiru is alleged (by Sitchin) to be in a 3,600 year orbit. That would place it in the outer reaches of the Solar System most of the time.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
sorry but not nibiru the orbit dosent match.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

It states right in your source what the best possible cause of this phenomena would be...

But there is high excitement this time because astronomers following the object are reasonably convinced that for the first time ever they have a ringside seat to watching an actual hypervelocity collision between two previously unseen asteroids. The asteroid belt is littered with debris from ancient shattering collisions, but astronomers have never before seen a head-on smashup in the works.

My emphasis added.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Slightly off topic...but...

I was watching a show last night about space travel and they were discussing the task of traversing the asteroid belt in order to get into deep space. Now, when I think of a belt surrounding something, why not go over or under it? Or is the asteroid belt actually a spherical "cocoon" that must be traversed w/o the possibility of going around it?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have always been under the imppresion that Nibiru is some kind of, for want of a better description, Mother ship. The way in which it is depicted as having wings, and the fact that sitchin tells that the "gods" spoke to it. sounds rather like NASA control talking to the Shuttle to me. If one is to believe that some of the bible teachings come from the Sumerian texts, and that things were described to the best ability of the locals of the time, and a UFO being a chariot of fire, then the only things in space would have been planets, comets the moon and sun etc. so why not a huge ship being a planet to them. another case of misinterpretation. Just my thoughts on it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Comets are made out of solid rock.

The coma they produce is an electrical effect.

There is no difference between a comet and an asteroid other than their orbits.

If an asteroid has enough negative charge imparted to it, it will discharge just like a comet, because it is a comet.

My page on comets, extensive links and imagery here.

Detailed article by a plasma cosmologist here.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
nibiru? somebody had to say it and quite frankly i am a beliver that mankind DOESNT know everything. in fact, we dont know crap...

You'll have a hard time finding any scientist or anyone with an interest in science claiming we know everything. However, not knowing everything is a far cry from knowing "crap". We know a lot and are learning more all the time.

I agree with you, Phage.

A childhood friend of mine with whom I still keep in contact is a mathematician and Professor at a major northeast U.S. University. Among his own theoretical math work, he has in the past worked closely with other scientists (doing their math for them) and he would be one of the first people to tell you that scientists definitely don't think they know everything.

Quite the contrary is true -- scientist more than anyone knows first-hand what the limitations of our human knowledge is. That's why they are always trying to figure out "the next thing".

If scientists thought they knew everything, they would stop working.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

Yep, that's a good explanation.

Here's another, just as good: an alien spacecraft, lurking within the asteroid belt to avoid accidental detection by our telescopes, just de-lurked by firing its thrusters to change course. Maybe it was an accident, an unavoidable manouevre to avoid some debris. Or maybe the time for lurking is over and the next phase of the mission is at hand. Hello Earthlings!

Q: What did the newly landed alien say to the Venezuelan?

A: 'Lead me to your taker!'

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
WTF did I miss something. This thread is about,"is it a comet?"or "is it an
asteroid?" is it not? No "winged planets", or "XP-37 space modulating
starships".
As far as the knowledge of man goes, that should only be a question asked in the context of compared to what.

As in, compared to 100 years ago.
or
As in, compared to all that is knowable.

I hope I have been of some service.

new topics

top topics

join