It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about blocking known proxies on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Hello,

We now know that governments, among others, agents troll the internet boards and like to re-direct conversation against the OP's credibility rather than the topic being discussed.

It's been reported (Alex Jones?) that the IP's come from known proxy servers.

What does everyone think about banning known proxy servers from posting on ATS, along with some automated ip monitoring (behind the scenes on the ATS web server) to look for new commonly used proxies, and add them to the ban list?

Just a thought.

I like the idea because it requires people to be a little more responsible for what they post, while at the same time maintaining the anonymity you want to keep... aslong as we trust ATS. I do.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sstark
Hello,

We now know that governments, among others, agents troll the internet boards and like to re-direct conversation against the OP's credibility rather than the topic being discussed.

I'm sure they're all welcome as long as they adhere to the ATS T&C ...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Some people use proxies for privacy. Blocking them from ATS would be counter to the culture here. For instance, we could get a whistle blower and one of the safest ways for them to post would be through a proxy.

I used to use proxies now and then for certain things... but I have no need anymore.

IRM

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

yea I thought about that as well, maybe alternatively a proxy bad list? for instance if a proxy is continually being used by abusive users.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
that's a great idea. blocking known proxies would serve very well for our NWO program. it would be much easier to backtrack all of you who talk bad about papa.
government servants does not use public proxies usually event if some of our agents (like agent A.J.) says otherwise.
only enemies of the Rome use proxies, good citizens don't

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Tim00]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tim00

that's only if the IP's are made available to them.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I am against this idea. As the dog stated, if they follow the ats guidelines, what reason do we have for blocking proxies?

If a certain proxy were to become too abusive or a strain on the servers then it might be a different conversation. Until that happens I see no reason to think of blocking them.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sstark

"my territory, my rules" as they say.
IP's can make available in no time, we both know that there are many ways to get that. legal WAYS only few of many. but there is little point to get IP's from one point, it will lead you to another point, then to another.. nobody likes to chase their own tail

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

yea it's just an idea.

Actually it's not that much of an issue here, but on other communities, especially the big names, it gets exceptionally bad.

We have great mods and members.

also, isn't trolling against policies?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tim00

true, but security is about putting layers up. Break one down, there's many more to go through.

any case I'm leaning against my own idea now.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sstark

good, at least somebody can learn fast

top topics

join