It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion on LASCO C2?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Guzzeppi

it would send us back to the stoneage,because we rich western peoples rely to much on technology.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guzzeppi

The CME would have to be directed at Earth for it to effect us if indeed it was. The X28 that is the largest ever recorded to date was not, I don't believe. It would be interesting to find out what a direct hit from a major X-flare would do to our planet. I have no clue.

Hey Guzzeppi,

I don't think that you'd want to see what happens if a major X class flare hit us square on!

There have been some predictions made based on the Bastille Day Event which crippled Canada's power grid for days or weeks.

A really big event could result in even more widespread effects like that, with many countries potentially affected, and there would be no way that we could fix the power-grids of every country in that case.

The result could be that there could be no electricity for months, perhaps even years for a large part of the developed world. Some grids are more vulnerable than others, and those further south (or north if they are in the southern hemisphere) would probably not be affected.

Edit: as sunspot0 said above... basically back to the stone age for many of us!

I agree that the current images don't show a flare. As I said before, I think it's likely that the Sun's disc caused the "white-out" (over exposure or overloaded detector pixels, whatever you want to call it) on the right hand side.

If you look at the animation, before the "white-out", part of the Sun is just sticking out on the right hand side, and afterwards, it's covered again.

So someone repositioned the detector/disc which covers the Sun.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I don't think that Timewalker's object is a Comet, there would be more frames available over a longer period. There is a lot of stuff that hits the Lasco all the time, but it doesn't look like that either. I think CHUD is correct about the "flare" though, there are about 5 or 6 seconds of adjustment in the frames at the time of the "flare" and the circular shield itself has overlapping edges.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Notice (LASCO IMAGES): Due to increased exposure in EIT and Lasco the scaling in real-time images will be different. This is true especially in C2 orange/clear. At a 100 second exposure, there will be saturation along the occulter in the north and south areas. This will produce little "horns" in the left and right direction from pixel bleeding.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Just saying, they have had this message up on the site for a few days now. Something about a software update.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
There was a similar anomaly on October 26 2009, which occurred during a 'routine' rotation of the satellite. After this event happened, SOHO and other NASA sites seemed to go down at the same time.
I believe there was a thread on abovetosecret, but seemed to dwindle down to nothing and die out.
I've been waiting for more 'anomalies' like this to occur! Thanks for starting this thread!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join