It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Specialty: New England Clam Chowder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I have made this for many people and have always got a rave review (Even from people who don't like clam chowder). This is very easy to make and will never disappoint. Enjoy.

Remember this is not a low fat meal. It has one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to taste GOOD!

You can make this with either fresh or canned clams. Since it really does taste great with canned clams (and is much easier) I will post the recipe with them. However, if you prefer to use fresh clams be mindful that you will also need to purchase some clam juice.

3 cans Clams
2-3c cubed potato (Depending on how chunky you like it)
1c diced onion
2c diced celery
6-8 strips of bacon
1quart half and half
1quart milk
2tbs Butter (or Margarine)
1tsp White Vinegar
Salt
Pinch of Sugar
Black (or White) Pepper

Put Potatoes in Pot where Soup will be prepared. Open canned clams and dump the juice from all three. Set clam meat aside. Add enough water to cover potatoes and bring to boil. Boil until tender.

In a separate pan fry your bacon. In bacon grease melt butter and then add your onions and celery. Add vinegar and about 2 tsp of salt with a pinch of sugar. Fry until onions are tender. Mix with potatoes (grease and all).

Add half & half and milk. Bring to Boil. In the meantime crush up your bacon and add it as bits. Add a generous amount of black pepper. (big chunks are not a problem) When it is to boiling reduce heat, add clam meat, and let it lightly simmer for about 20 mins. Salt to taste (warning it will be very very hot)

Stir Occasionally....

This should serve about 4 people.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That sounds damn good...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Oh it is! It's actually frecking fantastic!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Just replying so I can come back to this later.Will edit soon.

Sounds good

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ooh I love me some clam chowder. Your recipe looks like mine with two changes - I use salt pork when I can get it instead of bacon. If not, I use applewood smoked bacon. Hickory smoked imparts too much of its own flavor for me in this recipe.

The other thing is, instead of the vinegar and sugar, I use a shot of Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So glad this was brought back up the list to catch my attention as I was putting up a new thread. It is worth it to bury my thread by posting to your clam chowder recipe it sounds so good. This is just an excellent time of year for New England Clam Chowder. I love it during cool and cold weather especially.

When I lived on California coast it was worth a short drive to Malibu area to have some clam chowder this time of year when the weather is brisk and I could grab a bowl and sit along the beach at Neptune's Net. A real warm-up treat.

Thanks, great suggestion. I'm going to make some tomorrow.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

ah good stuff...

You know I've also noticed having made it a few times... When it comes to black pepper... a lot is better

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

How did it turn out?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

dooble post
edit on 26-7-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

top topics

join