It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican says 'Avatar' is no masterpiece

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
movies.yahoo.com...

The Vatican newspaper and radio station are criticizing James Cameron's 3-D blockbuster for flirting with the idea that worship of nature can replace religion — a notion the pope has warned against. They call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.

I'm sorry, but this is BS.

It's not that I'm taking sides with the movie. It WAS a great movie, but what they have to say about it is just BS to me.

What's wrong with "Worshiping" nature? What's the problem there? Is the Vatican getting upset because people may be opening their eyes and that might steal thunder from some religions?

I just see this as uncalled for - Avatar aside. I don't see the harm in looking up to nature - at all.

Don't mind me.

(Flame suit on)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
No flames from me I agree. Why not respect and focus on something that diectly affects our lives as apposed to a god that may or may not exist. The benefits of loving nature as your god, in my oppinion lead to a better way of life.

Much harder to justify poluting
Harder to justify wasteful consumption
harder to justify war
harder to focus on material existence

Now these just came off the top of my head and could arguably be debated but Nature, such as it is, has no book to interpret and thus leaves no door open for justifying any number of things that may not be in our best interests.

The Vatican is another "do as I say not as I do" institution/ city-state

Cheers

[edit on 12-1-2010 by thebulldog]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Wow, what complete and utter BS.

It would seem they are afraid of anything taking the worship away from then. Though you'd think the similarities between Pandora and Eden would have been something they'd like. Perhaps there 3 billion dollar a year profits are dwindling?

In all fairness but, it was a Vatican radio station and not the Vatican itself.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

Yeah, I'm totally with you.

I am not one for organized religion, but there are a few things the Vatican has been saying recently that I liked.

One was how they're apologizing for not believing Gallileo (SP?) and all that.

Also about how they're looking for alien life.

But then I see this and it just makes me shake my head.

I admit that I'm probably over reacting. Or am I?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
lol wow they dont like anything that doesnt go their way
I remember them going after spores because it was about evolution and not adam and eve.

It was a fantastic movie. We should worship nature We are nature. But I guess they like the idea of destroying it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I think you'd be surprised at just how much the Vatican knew exactly what they were doing. Faith in God is a personal thing, not something dictated by gravy-trainers.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yeah, God forbid that we respect nature

Great movie it was!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am not religious. I do not worship nature or anything.

I just "really like" the Universe.

However, the Pope actually does not know God (if there is such a thing as God).

It would be more accurate to say the Pope clearly knows Satan (if there is even such a thing as Satan).

I consider the Vatican a thinly veiled Satanic front.

The bizarre thing is, why would someone become a "satanist" if they had already rejected the original Bible teachings?

It seems to me that if you consider the Bible wrong, than you would by default reject Satanism as well because it is entirely dependent on the Bible to even be legitimate.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous
WOW, complete and utter BS.

It would seem they are afraid of anything taking the worship away from then. Seriously, maybe their $3billion a year profits are dwindling.

I know, right? I don't see the harm in living the way the Na'vi did.

It's always about worship, worship, worship. Prayer and worship especially seem like something that some religions want all to themselves.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Worship of nature replacing religion? How about worship of idols, books, dogma, etc.? I'd say worship of all sorts of things replaced religion quite some time ago. I'll take the heathen wilderness over most other options any day if I were to partake in any worship.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by blankduck18
l We should worship nature We are nature.

No thanks, how about you worship what you want.

And I will worship nothing. I will respect all things though. I just refuse to worship them.

Here is why.

All things in the Universe are inherently equal at their base value. Therefore worshiping something is invalid, because it puts equal values incorrectly as higher values.

So in interest of maintaining Universal balance, I will refrain from worshiping anything. I'll stick with simple respect for now, thanks though for the offer.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What's even scarier than the reverse psychology being used by the Vatican is the way people are letting themselves become completely consumed by this movie.

Peace

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree. Worshiping of ANYTHING is not OK in my book.

Replace RESPECT with WORSHIP.

I do believe everything in the universe is equal.

I respect (love) the universe and nature, of course.

But to put anything on a pedestal... Eeek.

Thanks for inadvertantly correcting me.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

This is funny comming from a religion who worships saints, the virgin Mary, and drinks grape juice thinking it is Christ's blood.

Oh, did I mention little boys too.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I can never take seriously the word of a man in a frock and a fish hat that would knowingly and contemptuously protect child rapists from being brought to justice.

To my mind this man is no better than the pedophiles he protects and has no business talking bollocks to anyone.

Avatar was amazing and those were some of the finest legs I ever seen on an alien woman.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's just:

- And it's not only The Vatican - it's really all religions:

Their's is right and every other one is wrong.

THAT I can't stand. That's really what gets me about all of this and why I get so heated in some forums.

Gahh,

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Its aesthetically pleasing, one of the most beautiful movies Ive ever seen. But its still a tree-huggers agenda behind it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
What's even scarier than the reverse psychology being provided by the Vatican is the way people are letting themselves become completely consumed by this movie.

Do you mean like the jedi religion?

I think most people realize there is a spiritual world out there too and are trying to understand it.

I try not to knock people's religion until they start knocking on everyone else. Then I feel it is free to point out their log.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Totally agree ... respect of nature is ...well ... natural (or at least it should be).

And let's not forget ... nature has been around an awful lot longer than any religion !

Woody

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

There's serious danger on both sides of the argument here. Everything is about manipulation and polarization.......in other words "control". That's how "they" want it.

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle, along with one's sanity.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join