It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US has to break with its superpower arrogance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Article

The US should give up its superpower ambitions and put itself on equal footing with other nations – otherwise, it will find itself at an impasse, believes American scholar Bill Ayers.

“The arrogance of shouting your opinion and unwillingness to hear anything in response is something that puts us in a parallel situation. It means we can’t grow, we can’t change,” he told RT.

“It has already created problems for the US and they are getting bigger. I think what we need is to break from that tradition of American foreign policy of the last sixty years or longer and really imagine ourselves entering into the world as a nation among nations – not as a superpower, not as police of the world. We need to enter into the conversation with respect – for ourselves, but also respect for others.”

Its a pretty short article but I agree pretty much with the idea. I cant watch the video at the moment but will later on. Our foreign policy hasnt been too pretty in my opinion, especially the policeing the world part. Seeing how people are starting to talk about this lately, I wonder if it is going to change anything anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The USA is an economic and military superpower.
That will never change.
We have technology that is 50 years ahead of what you see today.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yes, America is an economic and military superpower. But TPTB don't have to keep shoving the fact down peoples' throats. People get it by now. The rest of the world isn't dumb.TPTB don't need to keep beating their chests and throwing money at them. No wonder the rest of the world thinks they're arrogent and childish, they are.

Personally, I think Obama has the right idea in that he wants to open the lines of communication with every country that wants to reciprocate. That tells the world that we value their opinion, we're open for suggestions, and we're on your level in that we are all on this planet together and we
all need to work with, and respect, each other as equals.

That shouldn't tell people that we're weak, that should tell people that we're nice. There's a difference.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Bill Ayers!!!!

Criminal... Domestic Terrorist.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ayers participated in the bombings of New York City Police Department headquarters in 1970, the United States Capitol building in 1971, and the Pentagon in 1972

He told the New York Times in September 2001, "I don't regret setting bombs...I feel we didn't do enough."

So, then he gets off due to illegal evidence gathering... not that he didn't do it, hell he boasts about it.

In 1973, new information came to light about FBI operations targeted against Weather Underground and the New Left, all part of a series of covert and often illegal FBI projects called COINTEL. [19] Due to the illegal tactics of FBI agents involved with the program, government attorneys requested all weapons- and bomb-related charges be dropped against the Weather Underground, including charges against Ayers.

You need a new hero. This guy deserves to be tried and executed.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Obamas apology tours have only made America weaker in the eyes of our
enemies. All of his "apologies" didn't stop the underwear bomber.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The government should've take out Bill Ayers decades ago. It's shocking the guy still walks the earth. Maybe if Mr. Ayers took a vacation in Pakistan under the gaze of a UAV, he'll understand how a terrorist meets his maker.

Being a superpower means you're the Alpha dog in the pack. Just because lesser dogs get upset that there's a dominant dog around doesn't mean they can take away the earned arrogance of the Alpha dog.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

That will never change.

for real? how do you know about the technology?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Obamas apology tours have only made America weaker in the eyes of our
enemies. All of his "apologies" didn't stop the underwear bomber.

And neither did the out dated foreign policies, homeland security and war on terror!

Just sayin...

IRM

SM2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Bill Ayers huh? The same Bill Ayers that visits the White House on a frequent basis? The same domestic terrorist that was involved with the bombings of the pentagon, a police station and the pentagon? Some people actually think that this raving lunatic has some constructive and valuable ideas to share?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsvolta

That will never change.

for real? how do you know about the technology?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the U.S. Navy for 10 years.
The Lockheed contractors have all the good information.
We will see some incredible technology in less than 5 years.
- Floating Cities in the Clouds -
Think Empire Strikes Back.
In the mean time, the U.S. Government has the right and the responsibility
to protect its secrets.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the U.S. Navy for 10 years.
The Lockheed contractors have all the good information.
We will see some incredible technology in less than 5 years.
- Floating Cities in the Clouds -
Think Empire Strikes Back.
In the mean time, the U.S. Government has the right and the responsibility
to protect its secrets.

that sounds too vague. you know this info because "The Lockheed contractors" informed you? if you know the details why dont you share the wealth? did they tell you to keep your mouth shut or else...? and does everyone who`s in the Navy have access to confidential info about incredible technology?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Does the US have the largest gross domestic product?
Who has the biggest military?
Does the US have alot of natural resources?
What is the reserve currency?
Where does the US rank in wealth to population?

So why exactly should the US not be a superpower? And what is the criteria? Me thinks this is propaganda why should we not act like a superpower?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

One does not earn arrogance, you stoop to it. Regardless of your argument, arrogance is not a positive quality.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Does the US have the largest gross domestic product?
Who has the biggest military?
Does the US have alot of natural resources?
What is the reserve currency?
Where does the US rank in wealth to population?

So why exactly should the US not be a superpower? And what is the criteria? Me thinks this is propaganda why should we not act like a superpower?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Subjective Truth]

true, but the rest of the world also reserve the right to give a finger to almighty USofA whenever they see fit.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marsvolta

No. Knowledge is compartmentalized.
I can tell Bob Lazar was telling the truth about S4.
Just wait 4 years and i'll spill the beans.
It's just technology.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

That will never change.

Do you seriously think that will never change?

We've only been a superpower since the end of WWII. Think about how the world has changed since then... balances of powers have shifted all around the globe, alliances have been made and broken. Yesterdays enemies are today's allies and today's allies may very well be who we meet on tommorow's battlefields.

Think of how long it took us from the age of the hunter-gatherer to the Industrial Revolution, and how quickly we transitioned from the Industrial Age to the Atomic Age to the dawning of the Technological Age. The world is moving at an exponentially fast rate, one that is ever increasing. Remember the Utopian dreaming in the days leading up the to Millennium, and how that collapsed on 9/11? The wars and the economy and the whole rotten lot?

It would be foolish to expect the U.S. to not weaken and fall over time. It happens to all empires and all governments, and given the speed of today it will happen a whole hell of a lot quicker than Rome.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Someone336]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Bill Ayers ... that the same guy that co-founded the Weather Underground?I am not inclined to listen to anything from him, even if it makes senseon the surface my bet would be an underlying nasty motive.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I have always thought the US could improve it's image abroad. As a super power it should lead by example, and making smart choices that don't alienate or walk on the toes of countries that are part of the global community. Some quotes on leadership and power to reflect on.

All Super Powers are wide open to super abuses of power. They need a way to be examined and evaluated.

The term power comes from the Latin posse: to do, to be able, to change, to influence or effect. To have power is to possess the capacity to control or direct change. All forms of leadership must make use of power. The central issue of power in leadership is not Will it be used? But rather Will it be used wisely and well?

What you always do before you make a decision is consult. The best public policy is made when you are listening to people who are going to be impacted. Then, once policy is determined, you call on them to help you sell it.

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. The bamboozle has captured us. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.

The arts of power and its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments. [1834]

some food for thought.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

No. Knowledge is compartmentalized.
I can tell Bob Lazar was telling the truth about S4.
Just wait 4 years and i'll spill the beans.
It's just technology.

You already spilled the beans so why not tell us what kind of beans they are and what recipe you have for them. Why mention this stuff if you are not even going to attempt to back it up. You might as well have said nothing. Cities in the sky in less than 5 or 4 years depending on which post I read, seems rather thread worthy. If you like, I would start one for you and you can come bring your evidence there.

Or...you can say - sorry for wasting people's time by going off topic with lies.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

bad post

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Eurisko2012]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join