It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Thread Update

Crean backs India's call for calm over attacks

Posted 32 minutes ago

Acting Foreign Minister Simon Crean says he does not believe that racism is on the rise in Australia.

Claims of racism have been raised in the Indian media, after two recent attacks on Indians in Melbourne.

Jaspreet Singh, 29, was burnt after allegedly being set on fire by a group of men at Essendon in Melbourne's north-west shortly before 2:00am (AEDT) yesterday.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

2AM Middle of school holidays and summer to boot. Think about all the other stuff going down you wont ever hear about. Media Hype.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by TheKingsVillian]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Seems Australia has got something wrong...
Link: Racist violence mars Australia day

Some of the people here seem to get very defensive when it is pointed out, just as Israeli's don't like beeing reminded of their violent ocupation of Palestine or the U.S of Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Australia has a small population and these attacks are as a result of a minority that has become visible to the majority and hence have become targets. It happens in Australia every 10 to 15 years on the back of a major immigration program.

In the 50's and 60's the Greeks and Italians immigrated, during the 70's and 80's saw the Asian immigration and over the last 10 years the Middle Eastern immigration occured. The Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants have tended create onclaves and dont support the local economy choosing to consume produts imorted from their homeland. As all these nationalities assimilate into the Australian way of life they get targeted by groups, like a tribal initiation.

The most recent were the Cronolla riots aimed at the Middle Eastern humans again as a result of a muslim onclave overtaking the original suburb.

It happens in every society, and Australia is no different, I am not justifiying it, just addressing it as i see it having lived through each of the immigration pushes.

At the heart of the Indian issue is that these humans are on Student Visas together with their visibility, they drive the taxis, work in fast food restaurants, telemarketing, door to door canvasing etc..

So as these guys assimilate and continue to be everywhere and work for less money than the residents it is to be expected that they will push someones buttons and trigger violence.

What may stop these attacks is the mandatory daily usage of a deoderant.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
As it turns out I live only a few minutes away from where the incident occurred.
I still haven't seen any proof of this incident being because of the mans etchnicity though. I find it disgusting that the Indian news medias are acting like it is a certain case of racism when the Australian police are saying it isn't! Talk about enciting hate! The irony is that now Indians might be racist towards Australians for reasons which aren't justified.

Also, using the Cronulla Riots as examples of Australians being racist is also unjustified.
If you knew ANYTHING about what happened at Cronulla you would know that, while what happened was over the top, it was something that had been building up for a long time like a boiling pot.
What eventually set off the riots though were when a group of Lebanese people assaulted some local Australian lifeguards. IT SIMPLY ISN'T OKAY FOR GUESTS TO THIS COUNTRY TO DO THAT SORT OF THING. It was unwarranted. What happened there has nothing to do with with happened in Melbourne.

What a joke.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Spoke to a police friend tonight that works at a city branch. I don't know if I should be saying anything but one of the suspicions 'under consideration' is that this guy was about to do an insurance job on his car in the alley and lit himself up by mistake.

... Interesting indeed!

IRM

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Thanks for that Infa. Interesting indeed.
Would certainly make the Indian news media red-faced wouldn't it? Not that they'd report it anyway.

edit: you might want to edit out where he is from, because I think there is only 1 station where you mention so it makes it easier for someone to track the source of information. unless it is one of the ones a bit further out.

[edit on 10/1/10 by Nventual]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Spoke to a police friend tonight that works at a city branch. I don't know if I should be saying anything but one of the suspicions 'under consideration' is that this guy was about to do an insurance job on his car in the alley and lit himself up by mistake.

... Interesting indeed!

IRM

I've been thinking along the same lines. The area of essendon is full of upper middle class retiries.. hardly gang territory. It might also explain why he discarded the evidence.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

I've been thinking along the same lines. The area of essendon is full of upper middle class retiries.. hardly gang territory. It might also explain why he discarded the evidence.

I have a feeling that we will know either way soon. I was told that the police are dedicating a LOT of resources into this one.

Watch this space I guess...

IRM

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I find it disgusting that the Indian news medias are acting like it is a certain case of racism when the Australian police are saying it isn't! Talk about enciting hate! The irony is that now Indians might be racist towards Australians for reasons which aren't justified.

It is disgusting isn't it?
India and indians are saying it is and has alot to do with racism while the aussie police force downplay it.

I agree with the indian newspaper that says that the police force isn't doing much while some here interpret that as me thinking that all aussies are racist, very similar to when I point out the crimes against humanity that the israeli govt. imposes on palestine and people call me anti-semite.

But in any cause as you said the reasons for this entire spotlight on attacks on indians may be unjustified.

However just to play devil's advocate here's a list of "Justifications" if you will.

Five teens charged over separate attacks on Indian students

A 17-year-old male from Glenroy was charged with attempted murder after four Indian students were attacked with a screwdriver by gatecrashers at a party in Hadfield, in Melbourne's north, on Saturday night. One of the victims remains in intensive care in hospital.

Police also charged four minors from Melbourne's west over the brutal bashing of a 21-year-old Indian student who was going home on a Werribee line train after a shift at KFC.

www.theage.com.au...

Racial attack in Australia: Shravan Kumar 'out of danger'

A SHORT, VIOLENT HISTORY

Nitin Garg, 21, Newport, January 2. Fatally stabbed on his way to work.

Unnamed, 23, November 29, 2009, Footscray. An Indian student from Bundoora. He was stabbed 14 times after being asked for 20 cents by two teenagers. A 15-year-old from Melbourne's western suburbs was later charged.

Kamal Jit, 23, St Albans, June 6, 2009. Knocked unconscious while walking home from a train station.

Vikrant Rajesh Ratan, 22, Springvale, June 7, 2009. Mr Ratan's car was set on fire while it was parked near his local train station.

Nardeep Singh, 21, Dandenong, June 2, 2009. He was slashed by an assailant with a Stanley knife.

Shravan Kumar, 25, Hadfield, May 23, 2009. A 17-year-old youth was charged with three counts of attempted murder after Mr Kumar was repeatedly stabbed with a screwdriver at a party.

Baljinder Singh, 25, Carnegie, May 25, 2009. Stabbed as he walked home.

Sourabh Sharma, 21, Hoppers Crossing, May 16, 2009. Bashed on a train. Two teenagers from Hoopers Crossing, aged 16 and 18, were arrested.

Sukhraj Singh, Sunshine, December 2008. Left in a coma for weeks after being bashed in an Indian supermarket.

Jalvinder Singh, April 2008. The student and taxi driver was stabbed by a passenger.

Kanan Kharbanda, March 2008, Sunshine. Partially blinded during an attack at a railway station.

Dr Zhongjun Cao, Footscray, January 2008. The academic was bashed to death by a gang who mistook him for an Indian.

www.smh.com.au...

This one is a question not a statement, I was talking to a friend in australia and he was telling me that many Australians hate Aborigines, is this true?

Anyhow the above events were just me playing devil's advocate, I assume you don't mind!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hate to break the bad news to you, but a few of those suburbs mentioned in your articles are heavily populated by Asian people, you find it common that anyone entering a few of those suburbs do it at their own risk, I personally as a white Australian wouldn't be caught in those areas, especially after dark.
So the attacks can be racially motivated, but not by white Australians, but of course the media do sometimes like to forget these little facts.

I also don't really think most Australians hate the Aboriginals, some may be put in that catagory, but which country doesn't?
the media give the impression that Aboriginals get hand outs from the goverment which they don't deserve, but most Australians have no problem with them, but again, the media can even make Mother Terresa look like a hooker if they try.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Nventual
I find it disgusting that the Indian news medias are acting like it is a certain case of racism when the Australian police are saying it isn't! Talk about enciting hate! The irony is that now Indians might be racist towards Australians for reasons which aren't justified.

It is disgusting isn't it?
India and indians are saying it is and has alot to do with racism while the aussie police force downplay it.

No. The guy could NOT describe these "four men" and actually discarded his burnt clothes. We only have his word for it that he was attacked.. I agree he probably lit himself on fire trying to pull an insurence job.

Why should police get accused of being racist when the alledged victim can't even get his own story straight, can't give an adequate description of the suspects or tell them where he dumped the evidence? It's not something you would just "forget". His story does not make sense. Is his hand burnt perhaps? Why did he get rid of the burnt clothes when it was evidence? Perhaps he threw them away along with the lighter fluid canister.

I do not think he was attacked at all.

BTW. those stories you keep posting over and over and over again have NOTHING to do with this one. Stick to the subject.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

... Interesting indeed!

IRM

I'd been wondering about this possibility, as parts of the story looked odd from the start.

First, the police say he drove his wife home, and then went and parked his car "randomly in a side street".

It's pretty odd in Australia to not park your car in your own garage or outside your own residence, so I wonder where he went and why.

Second, he says he was attacked by 4 men who poured a fluid over him. But he does not say they were masked, and he cannot give any description of any of them.

Third, he tells the police he has discarded all his burnt clothing on the way home, (indicating he'd parked a fair way from home,) but he cannot tell them where it is. Obviously they would have looked for it, but it has not been found.

Sounds to me like he wanted some easy money, and decided to capitalise on the idea that Indians are likely to be targets here. Probably set fire to his car's engine using petrol, and had it whoomph up and set fire to him.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

No. The guy could NOT describe these "four men" and actually discarded his burnt clothes. We only have his word for it that he was attacked.. I agree he probably lit himself on fire trying to pull an insurence job.

This IS possible, i'm not saying it's not
the investigations are still ongoing so we never know

What is funny though, is that everyone, especially in the other thread, attacked me like crazy saying I had no proof and was trying to incite hate even.

Now one guy on an internet forum says "hey spoke to an inside guy and he told me it might be an insurance job" and many believe it.

If you guys think i'm gullible for believing what various news articles are saying then what you are you?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
If it turns out not to be racially motivated or that is was done by "Other minority groups" what difference does it make? [It's one possible aspect of the case] A man was set a blaze. If it is racially motivated how is that any more or less? It's still a heinous crime.

If it turns out that in fact to be racially motivated shouldn't it be discussed out in the open so the situations can be addressed? The difference between you and I is that I can accept the possibility that a small group in Australia who "May be" racially motivated have possibly committed a crime.

For once I completely agree. I think it should be discussed in the open (maybe not in this thread as it's meant to be about 1 news story that may not have even been genuine). I just think people should ease up assuming it's naturalised aussies (bronzed surfer sterotype) as alot of the time it's one immigrant beating up another. Both might be australian citizens but some would not consider themselves aussies.. yet "aussies" get told we are racist.

When people use the term "aussie" are they talking about naturalised australians or people who have only been citizens for a couple of years?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Off topic for a second but i love the line under your Avatar.

Demagogy (also demagoguery) (Ancient Greek δημαγωγία, from δῆμος dēmos "people" and ἄγειν agein "to lead") is a strategy for gaining political power by appealing to the prejudices, emotions, fears and expectations of the public—typically via impassioned rhetoric and propaganda, and often using nationalist, populist or religious themes. Since its probable first use as a term by Aristophanes in his satire against the demagogue Cleon, the perimeters of what is and is not demagogy are subject to considerable debate and ambiguity.[1]
Contents
[hide]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

I was the victim of a crime recently (break in while i was at home) and I couldn't give a good description even though I ran into the guy! Also, perhaps he discarded his clothes because they were on fire?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

This IS possible, i'm not saying it's not
the investigations are still ongoing so we never know

What is funny though, is that everyone, especially in the other thread, attacked me like crazy saying I had no proof and was trying to incite hate even.

Is that the thread where you were okay with australian police being compared to KKK? You reap what you sow.

Now one guy on an internet forum says "hey spoke to an inside guy and he told me it might be an insurance job" and many believe it.

If you guys think i'm gullible for believing what various news articles are
saying then what you are you?

Actually I already suspected that but it was just my own speculation. Now it is not. If you go back and read my posts you will see I mentioned the car being burnt. If he was torched execution style I may have believed his story but I actually KNOW the area of essendon and it is definently NOT a gang area.. it full of yuppy retiries so it's not just various news articles I'm getting this from. He should've just put it in the river like everyone else.
(they dragged the local river a while back and found 100 cars.. alot with keys still in them)

Do I think you are gullible? The clues he was lieing were already there so you were not believing everything you were reading. The guy "discarded" the evidence, couldn't describe his attackers.. yet you accused the police of being racist? What do you expect them to do; just to take his word for it and arrest the first "four men" they come across..? He had to tell the hospital something other than "I botched an insurence job and set myself alight"

HOAX.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Again!
The politics are the ones to blame, you, the people are to much focus on citizen, when the real guilty ones are those who you elect!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
"G"DAY Wise One's,

Yes folks, we do have gang's of "A hole's" over here, but violent youth gang's are in every country.

What get's me with this one is the lack of evidence of it being any one type of race, it was said ( gang of men) not Australian born men at all.

but as Australia's youth follows the American gang mentality our Ozy world is slowley being lost and swollowed up by American TV and gang culture, you know what I mean. (YO, YO, Mother F*#@er, I'll put a cap in your ass!)

No more do the youth talk in the way I do and my father and Mother did before me, witch would be called Ozy or Ocker as we call it over here, the kids all talk in a semi American voice.
Yes Australia is becoming Amerianised, but not in a good way i am afrade.

After all that said Wise ones, Australia is still one of the safest country's in
the world to viset for a holiday.

Come down say G Day, we will make you welcome, 90% of us are nice desent people and will put an exstra shimp on the Barbie for ya. (BBQ).lol

Blessed Be: Kernoonos.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join