It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Idiot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I think your taking the word "idiot" too literal.

Take a breath.

He , to me, is showing the Apathy of the American People, and

is asking

"What will it take for people to say enough"

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I think the problem is that they make this stuff too complicated for anyone to follow. Add lies to the confusion and you get our current state we are in.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

id⋅i⋅ot  /ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [id-ee-uht] Show IPA

–noun 1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1250–1300; ME < L idiōta < Gk iditēs private person, layman, person lacking skill or expertise, equiv. to idiō- (lengthened var. of idio- idio-, perh. by analogy with stratiōtēs professional soldier, deriv. of stratiá army) + -tēs agent n. suffix

Synonyms:
1. fool, half-wit; imbecile; dolt, dunce, numskull.

Last time i checked im neither senceless or retarted. So excuse me if i take a word at its meaning.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
well, about being dumb, here in UK we have reality show called "BBC Parliament".. so, you know.. my point is, you americans shouldn't crown your self as the dumbest nation of the world too soon, plus we are the first one to set up surveillance society. so from where I stand, UK owns US on so many levels..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Nobody said ALL United States Citizens were Idiots .. you are taking it too personal .. take a chill pill man ..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If we were to take the view that Americans are not exceptionally dumb , we would have to ask why it is that the world perspective of the stereotypical American is one of profound and acute dumbness . We would need to ask , why Americans themselves are exasperated by the dumbness of their fellow citizen. All over the world you'll find dumb people . In poorer nations , this can be explained by the lack of education that is more evident in prosperous western societies .

So , dumbness is a relative factor in a way . It is a measure of your intellectual acumen as balanced according to that nations ability to provide their citizens with a reasonable education . The USA , as supposed leaders of the western world , as a supposed enlightened and free thinking society , you would estimate their populace to be accordingly knowledgeable and latitudinarian in their outlook .

But that is not what we get . We don't get a spectrum or diversity of opinions , we don't get peculiarity . We get whole vast swathes of the population thinking the exact same thing , and more often that not , it is the result of something they have watched on the tv . We get the dogmatic . We get bellicose chest thumping right wing war mongers , we get knuckle dragging 'go usa' sayers and evangelical hypocrites . There's always someone with an agenda , and that agenda is always based on ignorance or acute jackassery .

But you don't find these types thinly dispersed across the landscape , areas are dotted thick with them . You go to some places in the usa and you could not throw a brick without hitting some fool. Not only are they dense on the ground , but if you were to make their acquaintance , you would notice that these people are of a prodigious and unparalleled dumbness not matched anywhere else in civilized society .

It is not the argument whether many Americans are dumb or not that should be asked . It is rather , who has done this and why . A social engineering experiment that has gone too far perhaps ?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The more you respond , the more you post...

You only reinforce the OP title

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

good point, everything has a reason, and surely there must be a reason for that, somebody must get some benefit from that current US image arround the world. maybe it's for the future, part of the plan.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Please do tell.... Exactly how is that?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
And here is the reason why we are number one in idiots.

20/20 on youtube.com

This is 40 minutes if you can handle it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tim00

I'm not sure it is something they want to cultivate as a world image . Zbigniew Bzezinski mentions it as more of a problem in that the soft power option of American culture is compromised by this overriding world derision of the american populace's shortcomings in mental faculty and general aesthetical limitations .

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Basically 95 percent of everyone is extremely stupid and will believe anything the government tells them, especially when threatened with physical violence no one wants to go to jail or suffer for some belief these days.

its true that with all the TV crap and gizmos they pump out including sports we are totally brainwashed. I remember I lived in NY during 911 and i told my family and friends it was an orchastrated event to justify warfare and create more enemies to fight. They thought i was nuts and couldnt believe something things are too audacious for people to accept.

Look at all those stupid peeps who turned out to support Obama that was a total joke this guy is basically controlled by his dark zionist masters and has perpetuated warefare and bloodshed he has continued the lie. In this regard I can see how America is a very stupid and naive lazy and spoiled country easily manipulated into warefare by the powers that be. This also applies to other powers as well including muslims who are brainwashed either by themselves or by cia ect.

America is creating even more enemies when it kills innocent peeps as well, remember that. What goes around comes around.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
Well, you can find these idiots everywhere, not just United States (for I assume that was what you meant).

People are not dumbed down, they are doing the favour for themselves. Today, more than ever, there is great amount of knowledge and information available to the people - but in the same time, there are awfully lots of pure entertainment, rubbish and mumbojumbo available. It is your individual choice, what will you choose?

-v

Spot on. We live in an age where literacy has permeated as a standard for all levels of society, and where the collective knowledge of mankind is just a few keystrokes away for anyone to peruse. Where elite collages are recording their class lectures and providing them free to the public, and where wireless global communication is omnipresent.

But perhaps there's a problem with this... ? Perhaps the tidal flood of information has washed in so fast, that it's simply overwhelmed people. They don't have the time or ambition to shovel through it and determine the good information from the bogus crap. Just being freely available may not be enough for people to take notice; it has to be actively promoted and shoved in their face or else the assumption is made that it's hidden or inaccessible!

It is your individual choice, what will you choose?

Perhaps it's just cynicism, but for some reason the phrase "the path of least resistance" came immediately to mind. And I don't mean that as a jab, but a practicality. Knowledge and understanding is hard. You have to discipline yourself and engage the subject honestly and diligently. For many, there's just not enough time in the day between work, bills, and family to really dedicate themselves to seeking out knowledge for the sake of knowing things.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Originally posted by Lasheic
For many, there's just not enough time in the day between work, bills, and family to really dedicate themselves to seeking out knowledge for the sake of knowing things.

Agreed to some degree. But regardless of the scarcity of leisure time, many people rather choose to spend the little leisure they have to watch mindless entertainment rather than spend the time to educate themselves in knowledge.

-v

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
Agreed to some degree. But regardless of the scarcity of leisure time, many people rather choose to spend the little leisure they have to watch mindless entertainment rather than spend the time to educate themselves in knowledge.

Indeed! As long as monster truck shows, wrestling and NASCAR remain hugely profitable businesses, I don't buy the argument that Americans don't have time to page through a book.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Absolutely! And what about in case that one would not spend so much time watching pr0n while jerking off!?

-v

[edit on 6-1-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
To all you USA haters out in the big progressive world. At Least we will fight for our freedoms if they are taken from us. This is why we can still own a gun and don't have government controlled media like the much hated FOX news. And we still get to form a militia try doing that in Britain. So all you progressive nut jobs out in La La land the DUMB American still has more freedoms then you do

And don't worry if the TPTB ever do actually try something funny we will be their to free you or mourn your graves once again. I have to wonder when did most of Europe become just like the French? And I don't mean all of you I have talked to and am friends with plenty of Britains and most of them still hate the French.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The video maker has a point !!

People are actively being worked on. To get and/or kept dumb and iggnorant.

It's happenning all over the western world and probably the east as well.
What remains are the developing country's. Whitch are to poore to be able to resist, so why bother.

Why blaiming it on Americans ?
You all should be honered. You always have and still do, want to be the best and biggest in what you do and can do.

The United states are responseble for all major wars since WW2.
Always fighting for democracy and bring peace for whom ever had the same ideals.
Unfortunatly these ideals only were being followed, if the ground on which they lived, made it provitable or to nurture their addiction on influence, power and making money.

You are the people to make it all possible you know. Without you, they are powerless !!

But go ahead let youself be used. Killing the innocent, being inslaved pay your taxes. The money system is based on interest. That's why dept wil never end. Interest is a sustem of making unexistble money. When a dept is payed the money payed on interest is extra it shouldn't exist, it's the cause for inflation.

If all dept is payed ther's not enough money in the banks to give everybody their share.

Well with all of that in mind, at least you people still have to vote and may think you've got a vote.
I'm from Europe. Our president is instated. We're screwed allready.

You all still are able to wake up and stand up.
Please do !! I beg of you.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You may not like it, but most of the world either hates the US or finds them a laughing stock. Thats why you get singled out.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think non Americans view Americans as dumb because of the sitcoms, the male lead acts dumb, he has a woman boss, or a non white boss, his wife runs rings round him, his kids do the same, his boss treats him like dirt, do I need to go on?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join