It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Advanced Technology We Had Up Until 1951

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
In 1893 we could send physical documents across town at a speed of 100mph. Soemething we can't do today.

I ran across this article that amazed me. I have never heard of this and it made it so clear how easily technology and knowledge could be lost over time and forgotten forever. It made me see that yes the ancients could and probably did have some advanced technology that we don't remember or know about in present times.

Those of you that enjoy antique things will like this read:

The initial test location was Philadelphia. The very first test was conducted on March 1, 1893, between the Philadelphia General Post Office and the East Chester Street Post Office. It was a distance of .58 miles. The test was successful and tube service officially began in Philadelphia. On October 15, 1897, the service in New York City began. Eventually, Pneumatic Tube Service was put into operation in Boston, Chicago and St. Louis. www.usps.com...='tubes'

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Lost Advanced Technology We Had Up Until 1951

Pneumatic tube
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da44ecad117e.jpg[/atsimg]

My bank still uses them.
They must be out of date with the times.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
We also use this at work as our company is really huge and the easiest way to send documents is though the tube.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes I know the banks have them I don't state the obvious. But we can no longer shhot mail across New York in 20 seconds. I also doubt too many people know these tubes are still there.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

I don't think it's that we can't do it any more... we just don't. USPS still uses them internally, but why would you need to send a tube across town at 100 miles per hour when you can do it digitally at practically the speed of light?? Pretty much makes the tubes defunct.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The movie I believe was Brazil.

They used tube technology. Quite the bizarre movie.

Yes, antique technology is quite fascinating. I once had an antiques sewing machine that I actually used.

You used your feet to operate it. It actually worked quite well.

Before you ask, yes I am a guy and yes I did mend my own clothes. No longer though, I no longer have my antique sewing machine.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Funny that, I have one now but dont use it currently. I'm a guy and I know how too sew,cook,and clean. It helps when I get hungry,rip a hole in my jeans,or need to clean the john. LOL

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hehe - there was a supermarket supervisor who scammed a but load of money from his shop from those things... He knew that part of the tube routed through the false ceiling n the gents toilets above one of the cubicles... He used to get up there and disconnect the pipe at just the right minute for the capsule to pop out
Then he just emptied some of the notes and popped it back in

He got away with thousands before they figured it out...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Home Depot still uses them.They're at each check out.

Did not know the postal service ever used them.Must have been in the city.

The first clothes cleaning machines for home use were both a washer and a dryer.

One machine.

Then they figured out it would be better to sucker the consumer in to buying two machines.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Um, ok. The tube thing is kind of cool. But, is that the only thing you are bringing up here?
What other technology has been left behind?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Banks here also use that tech. I think it's rather risky to do it over very long distances, considering you are sending ORIGINAL documents/cash etc which can be intercepted.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Also how easy would it be in this day in age to cause all sorts of havoc with a city wide vacuum tube system???

OK a few ideas. poisoned gas?? - There is already a convent air flow to utilise.

These things were usually connected to offices right?? Well in stead of photocopying your butt at a drunken office party and emailing it/pinning it up, think what you could send!
Let your mates know you've scored by sending her knickers along! - Maybe all her clothes! -

How about, hmmm should we say 'bio matter'
It takes effort to seal that up and post it... Handy little capsule and a trip to the cubicles
THAT'S how you hand in your notice / express displeasure to your spouse.

How about a large fire cracker / firework... At the very least it would instantly take a section out of action - maybe underground / behind a wall... How about a more powerful bomb???

Any one got any more? - I'm pretty sure a city wide system being obsolete is probably a good thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
How is that advanced tech? Its extremely primitive - its just sending a sealed object down a pipe using compressed gas/air.

Very old fashioned and no match for current comms tech - as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, email moves at the speed of light, not a piffling 100mph.

Also, as also previously pointed out, sending physical documents down a pipe that can be easily and simply intercepted, read, then put back without anyone knowing - doesnt seem like a great idea.

Dont get me wrong, the same is technically possible with digital communication technology - just much harder and not something anyone can do. Then even if you do intercept it - its going to be encrypted anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
if you want to send a whole document these days, you can scan a physical copy easily, put the images into a PDF document and mail it, to be opened and (if needed) printed at the other end a damned site quicker than 100mph.

Although not the speed of light, I must stress, as others have claimed in this thread.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Poisoned gas? The tubes are called vacuum tubes, not high-pressure tubes. The service simply pulls a vacuum on one side of the tube - the rushing gasses involved is the air rushing in after the tube.

So no, you couldn't poison anyone with these.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by twodee
Banks here also use that tech. I think it's rather risky to do it over very long distances, considering you are sending ORIGINAL documents/cash etc which can be intercepted.
The tubes are actually buried underground, yeah you could intercept them but you would have to dig and dig and dig until you found the tube you wanted...etc..

How else do we send ORIGINAL documents? Courier, UPS, FEDEX all of these can get intercepted and mugged or they could drive off the road and crash spilling ORIGINALS all over the street (seen it happen).

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
if you want to send a whole document these days, you can scan a physical copy easily, put the images into a PDF document and mail it, to be opened and (if needed) printed at the other end a damned site quicker than 100mph.

Although not the speed of light, I must stress, as others have claimed in this thread.
Except if you wanted a hand signed copy...right..a hand signed original document can't be faxed...YET

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by Now_Then

Poisoned gas? The tubes are called vacuum tubes, not high-pressure tubes. The service simply pulls a vacuum on one side of the tube - the rushing gasses involved is the air rushing in after the tube.

So no, you couldn't poison anyone with these.

Fair enough - although to be pedantic you could put the gas in the canister somehow for release at the destination... The immature person in me want's to point out you could pass wind into the canister

new topics

top topics

join