It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a petroleum boycott work??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well im redoing this since my thread just got deleted by the mods. So here it is again..but with the wording a bit diffrent.

I am throwing around the idea of organizing a boycott of all petroleum products for a couple days in Feb. The 5th-7th to be precise. What do you guys think about this idea? Could it work? I always hear about people wanting to do something but many people fail to do anything. I feel even small, this idea could unite Americans in accomplishing something together. And i am for certain that if we can unite for something as little as this then we can unite for bigger things. So do you think it can be done?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I had a similar thread a while ago:

Gas Boycott! Hit the Oil Tyrants where it hurts!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well im trying to organize one right now and have alot of support from people all over the internet and here at home. My plan is to use social networking and other means to pass the word on.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It won't work for two reasons:

1- The amount of people it would require to actually make a difference is staggering. People might agree to it, and might even put forth a decent effort, but it's doubtful that it would be enough.

If you actually achieved #1, then you'd have to deal with the second problem:

2- You'd need to go more than a couple of days for it to have any effect. Petroleum numbers aren't calculated on a day to day basis, and most people don't fill up every day anyway, so even a million people taking two days off from gas won't affect the numbers. It would require a massive and sustained effort over weeks in order to actually make a difference in the pocketbooks of the industry.

And what happens when those weeks are over? Those millions of people will all buy gas and create a massive influx on the numbers, which will make the losses almost negligible.

In other words, if you want to scare petroleum executives: Get those millions of people to ride their bikes. Forever. Otherwise the evil gas giants probably won't even notice.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The idea is not only to not purchase any but to not use or cut down on the amount that is used. The idea of this is to just get people behind a common goal and to accomplish something together. If people can unite on this small step then when its time to unite against other things then the people will be able to. This would be more of a test run on things to come.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The oil industry will never completely dissappear. Even if all the self-propelled vehicles in the world stop using fossil fuels, the petroleum companies will still turn in sizable profits from the plastics industry, after all, oil is required to make plastic. And, if I am not mistaken, those companies make three times as much money in the plastics industry than they do in the fuel industry.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The idea is fairly sound, what with the success of campaigns on Facebook (see Rage Against The Machine at xmas number one in UK for example) and with access to influence globally, but why stop at petrol? Why not organise a month long tax strike, and really hit not only the oil companies but also the pharma the government and most importantly the bankers. I'd love to see that one going down. Of course the repercussions of millions of people withholding their taxes is nothing short of revolution... but isn't that just about what's called for in 2010?

I believe so... let's roll

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
The idea is fairly sound, what with the success of campaigns on Facebook (see Rage Against The Machine at xmas number one in UK for example) and with access to influence globally, but why stop at petrol? Why not organise a month long tax strike, and really hit not only the oil companies but also the pharma the government and most importantly the bankers. I'd love to see that one going down. Of course the repercussions of millions of people withholding their taxes is nothing short of revolution... but isn't that just about what's called for in 2010?

I believe so... let's roll
I say lets roll to. I just want to see if this can work using the social networks. Then go on to bigger things like you described. Already on social networks i have received lots of good advice and also people are saying that they are going to take part. I just need some more help in trying to accomplish this. Which im sure i will receive.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What about pushing diy water powered car conversion at the same time..... or else you're just back on the addictive black gold.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You'll also have to boycott pharmaceuticals and the FDA, since they pander to the petroleum companies!
Center for Science in Society

Blythe looked next at what we do with the oil. She predicted that, although science will find ways to replace, with other sources, the fuel we need both for car transportation and the heating of buildings, we are "going to be in trouble" in trying to replace jet fuel ("unless we are willing to slow down again") and other products (such as plastics and pharmaceuticals)

I'm all for it, though.
If I had a diesel engine, I'd make my own biofuel.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Honestly, I believe one day of worldwide "Petrol-Fasting" would be all it would take.

On an individual level, it would not be any sort of serious hardship

One Day.

Don't use what you have.

Don't buy anymore.

For one day.

On a large enough scale, the dent would be unbelievable.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by LASTofTheV8s]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thats what im trying to accomplish. If i can get enough people behind it it would make a very big impact on things and people would unite.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
All I said was boycott for two weeks,,, hummm.. why am I deleted..??

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join