It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can We Do With The Other 90% Of Our Brain? Any Real Facts Or Good Theories??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by king Pop!p
I would like to know if any respectable scientist, or neurologist have ever came up with theories? Telepathy? Self healing? Massive data storage, like photo graphic memory, or complete visual memory that you can recall your todler years like a movie?(that'll be sweet!
)

Can anyone provide with links (preferably video links) on theories on this topic, or do YOU have any interesting idea's of what can we do with the other 90% of our brain that we supposedly "don't use"?

[edit on 21-12-2009 by king Pop!p]

You're misinformed. We do use 100% of our brain, we only use ABOUT 10% of it at any given MOMENT, but this depends on the task at hand.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This video states that we use around a third of our brainpower in vision:

If you ever work on some project involving artificial vision, you'll see that it is heavy on the artificial intelligence even if it consists of just black&white still images. Now imagine trying to recognize moving scenes at the sampling rate of the human eyes.

On that same video they explain hearing and equilibrium. That mechanism must also be heavy on the processing power, plus all the things other posters mentioned such as breathing, digestion, cardiovascular system, homeostasis, etc., etc. I think all of this could account for nearly 100% of our brain potential, leaving less than 10% brainpower for conscious activities.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I won't knock the OP down by saying how often we see this question, because the 10% thing is sort of conventional wisdom. But I will say that some of the people who posted in this thread are disrespecting the idea of ATS and they choose to remain ignorant because they havent read the other replies Yes I am calling you out, henriquefd and tothetenthpower.

Anyway, i'm not sure if there is much to add to the discussion, as I believe the OP has probably learned a lot already in this thread, which is a good enough reason for reposting a much asked question. If everyone just used the search function and read everything that ATS has to offer from the past 7 or so years, we'd get like 2 new threads a weeks asking questions. Most of the threads come from new discoveries already.

I used to not visit ATS unless I had a question. I visit now daily to shre news I've stumbled upon and answer questions i've seen before. And of course to learn lots of stuff and to make fun of the people that think Niburu is coming in 2012 and is going to crash into the earth, but it's okay because we will be saved by the greys by then, after the new world order comes into power.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Research Report Dormancy of the Human Brain Dormant Brain Research and Development Laboratory T.D.A. Lingo, Director

The human brain is only 10% functional, at best. The first to outline this theory, later proved a fact by others, was Australian Neurology Nobel Laureate Sir John Eccles. (Lecture: University of Colorado, University Memorial Center Boulder, July 31, 1974.) "The brain indicates its powers are endless."

In England, John Lorber did autopsies on hydrocephalics. This illness causes all but the 1/6th inch layer of brain tissue to be dissolved by acidic spinal fluid. He tested the IQ's of patients before and during the disease. His findings showed that IQ remained constant up to death. Although over 90% of brain tissue was destroyed by the disease, it had no impact on what we consider to be normal intelligence.

Russian neurosurgeon Alexandre Luria proved that the 1/3 bulk of frontal lobes are mostly dormant. He did this by performing ablation experiments on persons. He gave physiological and psychological tests before, cut out parts and whole frontal lobes, the re-tested after. His conclusion: removal of part or all of frontal lobes causes no major change in brain function, (some change in mood alteration).

The frontal lobes are mostly dormant, asleep. (Luria, A.R. "Frontal Lobes and the Regulation of Behavior." In: K.H. Pribram and A.R. Luria, Editors, Psychophysiology of the Frontal Lobes. New York, and London, Academic Press, 1973) Finally, the human brain contains 10 billion neurons, mostly in the outer layer of brain cortex. the function of these currently dominant cells is fairly clear. but the brain also contains 120 billion glial cells. Aside from some secondary nurturing of neurons, the primary function of the glia is not clear. What big bang mirical awaits mankind within these mysteries?

Today, most would agree without argument that the potential of the human brain is infinite. Thus, to state that a person uses 10%, 5%, or even 1% of their potential brain capacity (infinity) is overly generous.

The point is this: There is no dispute among honestly rational experts about the latent potential of the human think box. There is only friendly dispute about how much and what still awaits us, patiently to be self-discovered between each set of ears. Hence, the wisdom of intuitive folksay was correct: "The human brain is only 10% functional." John Eccles thinks that number is too high. "How can you calculate a percentage of infinity?"

For those who say that we use 100% of our brain, it would appear that the jury is not out on this subject.

I have read a number of stories also regarding children who have been born without a brain and some of them have grown up and function perfectly normally. The majority of these children die young while others have survived butwith limited functions.

A Little Girl Born without a Brain Touches Hearts and Changes Lives

The link references a recent case of a young girl who although she is severely disabled is said to communicate on a soul level. Which confirms my belief that the physical brain is only a small part of the story.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Watch that new movie with Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and two alien kids in it they talk about how humans would be able to read minds, re-arrange moleculer systems, and so on.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Ok I read your links and it is apparent that we are arguing about semantic.

I am definitely talking about capacity and even your scientific evidence make this distinction.

Do we really use only 10 percent of our brains?
Barry L. Beyerstein of the Brain Behavior Laboratory at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver

"A generation of "positive thinking" gurus that followed were not so careful, however, and gradually "10 percent of our capacity" morphed into "10 percent of our brain."

Do People Only Use 10 Percent Of Their Brains?
By Robynne Boyd

"What's not understood is how clusters of neurons from the diverse regions of the brain collaborate to form consciousness. So far, there's no evidence that there is one site for consciousness, which leads experts to believe that it is truly a collective neural effort. Another mystery hidden within our crinkled cortices is that out of all the brain's cells, only 10 percent are neurons; the other 90 percent are glial cells, which encapsulate and support neurons, but whose function remains largely unknown. Ultimately, it's not that we use 10 percent of our brains, merely that we only understand about 10 percent of how it functions"

I personally am not talking about the physical gray matter but the synergy that exists within it that creates consciousness.

I believe that this is what the OP also is referring too.

I will be very interested to see the links you can provide that can tell me how exactly that works and how we can measure the capacity of the consciousness.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I am guessing you use it during really fast situations. Almost like how most of your computers CPU isn't being used on ATS, but if you go to youtube and load a HD action movie and play, it will activate the rest of the CPU. This could explain why people say time seems to slow down when there is trouble.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

Hello king Pop!p

I would like to know if any respectable scientist, or neurologist have ever came up with theories? Telepathy? Self healing? Massive data storage, like photo graphic memory, or complete visual memory that you can recall your todler years like a movie?(that'll be sweet! )

Beyond a few enlightened scientist, most of the orthodox sciences will not be able to give you any answers regarding your questions. Unless they have empirical evidence that has been peer reviewed, most are even too afraid to speculate.

There are however many ATS'ers who are intelligent and open minded who will be happy to share there knowledge.

Use the search button top right to read about most of the topics you mentioned.

Don't let the pragmatics close your mind though. You will discover that there are those who think for themselves and those who let others think for them.

They are usually the ones that post links to scientific research.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by kennyb72]

[edit on 22-12-2009 by kennyb72]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Strange, perhaps my comments were misinterpreted.

We obviously are USING 100% of our brain.

My response was in regards to what we are AWARE of at any given moment, the ammount of data that we can process conciously has a drastic effect on our abilities.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
thanx for all your replies guys/gals, I'm busy working I will read all of them.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't think the brain is 100% in use even with necessary functions. Look at abilities that come with accessing even a small extra portion.

Eidetic memory would be an excellent example. There are cases of people with autism that display superhuman intellect in many areas, mostly information retention, mathematics, artistic ability and so on. Einstein was said to have used more of the brain for intellect than we do.

Personally I think the brain is great at multitasking. We have already seen cases of patients where half of their brain was removed and after a while the remaining half takes on the functions of the other side as well.

"20/20" first reported on Brandi Binder and her family in 1997. When she was born, the family thought it had a normal, healthy baby. Then came the eye twitching, teeth grinding, drooling and powerful seizures. Binder was having up to 200 seizures a day.

They went to doctors around the country. Finally, one doctor at UCLA got it right and diagnosed her with Rasmussen's encephalitis. It usually affects just one side of the brain -- in this case, Binder's right side.

With the diagnosis came an agonizing decision for her parents. Treatment for the condition was the removal of half of the brain. If they didn't operate, Binder would die, doctors said. Operate, and she would be paralyzed along her left side, which the right brain controls.

They had no idea whether Binder would ever walk again, no idea how, or whether, the rest of her brain -- the left side -- would fully develop. They didn't know whether she'd ever be creative or solve problems, because that part of her brain would be removed.

Recovery would not be easy, but the Binders took one doctor's advice to heart: Challenge their daughter, every day, all the time.

They did, and it paid off. Months after her surgery, Binder started walking again. Even more remarkable, her young brain was able to make new connections -- allowing the left side to take over the functions from the missing right side. Slowly but surely, she began catching up at school.

Source

We map the brain and look at it and figure some stuff out sure, but we really still have a very small idea of how the brain really works. We can alter functions in very small insect brains (which we only just recently discovered that insects are a ton more intelligent than we thought). Personally I think there is an untapped potential there waiting to be let free.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper

You're misinformed. We do use 100% of our brain, we only use ABOUT 10% of it at any given MOMENT, but this depends on the task at hand.

True, I believe. But then, I used to believe a lot that now turns out to be a lie Maybe this is a lie that we only use 10% or maybe the lie is that we don't - who to believe any more? - en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join