It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket shaped minaret sparks row at London's most famous mosque

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Rocket shaped minaret sparks row at London's most famous mosque

www.express.co.uk

A DECISION to build a huge rocket-shaped minaret and two giant arches in the style of Muslim headscarves on one of Britain’s most historic streets is sparking outrage and risks escalating racial tension, according to community leaders.

The odd looking minaret has just been put up outside London’s most famous mosque

The structure will be joined soon at either end of the street by two arches that have been designed to look like Muslim hijabs.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong if this minaret is constructed. Public money has been used before for constructing mosques, and while I am not a muslim I think that this minaret must be built so that immigrant communities can be demographically integrated and also culturally.

British people think that minarets may not be pleasing, and that sentiment prevails among the people here in London but if people need to follow their religion then they must.

www.express.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-12-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

You might want to clear it up this rocket shaped minaret is not being built by Muslim heritage ppl. or else people will assume and spam this thread with muslim racial slurs.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This thread is a refreshing change.

I expected it to be bashing muslims.

Personally i don't see anything wrong with them.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

You might want to clear it up this rocket shaped minaret is not being built by Muslim heritage ppl. or else people will assume and spam this thread with muslim racial slurs.

It is not built by Muslim heritage people, it is the Council of that borough that is building it.

And as for muslim slurs, living in London and having been in East London, I am not new to that.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It always make me laugh when i read anything that states "The city needs half a dozen mosques so the immagrint community can be demographically intergrated" or "The Londakistan council will pay for 17 minarets this year so the muslim community doesnt feel badly and unequally treated"......You go to Tehran and ask the president for the money to open a couple of churches or cathedrals in Iran....so you feel "demographically identified" in a muslim country as a christian immigrant. In 20 minutes you´d be hanging from a crane.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
You go to Tehran and ask the president for the money to open a couple of churches or cathedrals in Iran....so you feel "demographically identified" in a muslim country as a christian immigrant. In 20 minutes you´d be hanging from a crane.

the IQ of people on ATS seems to be going downhill over the months
where did you get this rubbish from?

you better go and hide the Jews and christians of Iran asap

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

What a crock!! Absolutely not true and total propaganda. Anyway what if it were true what does that have to do with the fairness and understanding of the people of the UK.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This excerpt from the article suggests it was the mosque which initiated the minaret - but the council is paying for it (plus 2 arches)

'Years later the mosque realised it did not have enough money and persuaded the council to underwrite the £510,000 project with the huge £8m “planning gain” windfall it received from the nearby Spitalfields Market development'.

The real scandal is that the whole scheme is alleged to be costing £2.5 million of public money.
You would think wouldn't you that in a country which is virtually bankrupt there would be better uses for over £2 million pounds.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Perhaps the money could be better spent, but perhaps it was sanctioned before there was reason to ration money.

I think its fair to honour a contract. If that results in a happy muslim community who does not feel a need, or a temptation to become an extremist, just to practice his or her religion.

Then something most fantastic cost each taxpayer a relatively small amount of pennies.. That's something money can't usually buy..

I'm a UK citizen

Abductee

top topics

join