It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hate the way obama pronounces pakistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Is it just me?I realize how trivial this sounds even as I write it but still it infuriates me.It's almost like he deliberately pronounces it different than any other American to prove to his Muslim brothers he's more Muslim hip than the rest of us or something.

this guy sounds normal

It's not just Pakistan but the way he says Taliban and Al Qaeda also!

Burns me up!

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
It's almost like he deliberately pronounces it different than any other American

You mean, the right way?

Wouldn't you want people in other nations to pronounce the name of your country the way it's intended to be? Or should we just make up our own names for countries entirely?

Why should he mispronounce the name of the country to make you feel better about yourself?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The fact that he's probably saying it closer to correct doesn't concern you? You know, since he was educated there.

You'd prefer he was just as wrong as you? As a symbol of solidarity?

Ah, by that logic we should all be saying "NEW-CUE-LER" because that's what all those original US Senators called nuclear. That'd be awesome - Americans values that we mispronounce as a matter of PATRIOTISM. You aren't a real American if you don't mispronounce things!

[edit on 2009/12/1 by Aeons]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Wouldn't you want people in other nations to pronounce the name of your country the way it's intended to be? Or should we just make up our own names for countries entirely?

I don't care how they pronounce our name.

Why sho.uld he mispronounce the name of the country to make you feel better about yourself?

Because I'm an American citizen

[edit on 1-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
YES, YES, YES!!!!!

I'm glad you brought this up! Drives me nuts to hear how he says it.

This is America. We speak English (some of us still do at least.) We don't say PAH-kee-stahn. We say Pack-ist-an.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

The fact that he's probably saying it closer to correct doesn't concern you? You know, since he was educated there.

Because he is or was a Muslim or was raised by them.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Once again another pointless rant by Genius, like I said why don't you criticize Obama on important issues, not ones that are you know kinda pointless, like the way someone pronounces a word.

Either way, we both know this doesn't have anything to do with the pronunciation of a word, It has to do with the color of his skin. Just look at the previous threads you have made, you grab anything to smear Obama even when the information isn't credible, and have made assumptions based on the color of someones skin.

You just keep losing your credibility more and more every day.

and another.

And you indirectly/directly defend neo-cons, I see what your agenda here is and it's not denying ignorance.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by Uniceft17]

[edit on 12/1/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Oh no. His PARENTS made religious decisions for him as a child.

That's UNHEARD OF.

This is great. Seriously. Just freaking awesome. Mispronouncing stuff is now an American VALUE.

And you guys complain about the education system.

Oh man.
American Patriots mispronounce #, and not doing it makes you suspicious. You mispronounce what we tell ya to or we's gonna sick a-our dogs on ya.

We speak ENGLISH. (bwhahahahahaha) Ya know. I'm gonna get a beer.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Its either Pack-ist-an or nothing I say.

Either you are with us (Pack-ist-an) or you are against us (PAH-kee-stahn)

Now where did I put me TallyBan - TallyBan - Tally me Banana.

I think I am going to go to bed now. We have now hit a new low on ATS.

Dorian Soran

The good doctor!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

Is it just me?I realize how trivial this sounds even as I write it but still it infuriates me.It's almost like he deliberately pronounces it different than any other American to prove to his Muslim brothers he's more Muslim hip than the rest of us or something.

It's not just Pakistan but the way he says Taliban and Al Qaeda also!

Burns me up!

Any chance to hate on President Obama eh?

Please don't ever come to New Zealand (Nu Zild).

You wouldn't like the way we pronounce our words and you would probably become apoplectic and be a drain on our health system.

Get over it.

It's part of the beauty of language.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If I say "I despise this scumbag politician", can we just split the difference? And no, I'm not kidding.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If this trend continues, I think I'll have to insist that Americans stop claiming they speak "English" and instead rename whatever their language is becoming in a flurry of patriotic mispronunciations.

I suggest Americanese. With a real nasal sound on the ese. Like sneeze.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The OP sounds like one of those jealous teen girls in middle school who hates the new pretty girl, so she dogs her out to her friends about her hair being too long. Or her eyes are too big and green, like some funky giant emerald.

This pic sums it all up...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73eb9021a9a0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

President Obama's overly exotic pronunciation of Pakistan is made even more ostentatious in the same sentence as the rather mundanely pronounced "Afghanistan." Isn't there a more pretentious way to pronounce Afghanistan? How do the Afghans say it? Ahf-GAH-nee-stahn, perhaps?

When in Rome, do as the Romans. Here in the USA we say PAK uh-stan. We also say MEK-si-koh, and Frans -- and JUR-muh-nee. Maybe we should start calling it Deutschland instead.

What I like about Sarah Palin is the way she says "Eye-raq."

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
OP, if i knew who you are i would follow you and say pakistan the way obama says it all day. bahkustahn, bahkustanh, bahkustanh, bahkustanh, bahkustanh, bahkustanh, bahkustanh. umuri# (american), umuri#, umuri#, umuri#.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I dunno. I've got three daughters, and one of them, when she talks about her pillow, she says, pellow. I don't know why she pronunces it that way, but I don't lose any sleep over it. She sleeps with her head on a pellow, and I sleep with my head on a pillow. WTF?If she sleeps with her head on a Quran, or a Bible and I sleep with my head on my wife's cooch. So what? lol. We've embraced something of value to us. lol.

I don't give a good crap how someone talks. Why do you?

Give me more than this, OP. Perhaps you saw my redneck looking self coming down the pike and thought I was actually a redneck? LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
Once again another pointless rant by Genius, like I said why don't you criticize Obama on important issues, not ones that are you know kinda pointless, like the way someone pronounces a word.

Either way, we both know this doesn't have anything to do with the pronunciation of a word, It has to do with the color of his skin. Just look at the previous threads you have made, you grab anything to smear Obama even when the information isn't credible, and have made assumptions based on the color of someones skin.

You just keep losing your credibility more and more every day.

and another.

And you indirectly/directly defend neo-cons, I see what your agenda here is and it's not denying ignorance.

Star.
OP keeps racking up the pointless threads, than wonders/whines in other threads why the "serious" contributions are ignored? Hmmm, let's think on that for a moment.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i'll add it to my list of reasons I don't like him as president.

Why Not

He is kissing to much foreign butt anyway and it does sound pretentious.

I think our list of real issues is far bigger than this anyway, concern at being perceived as cultured... better feared and tolerated than sucking up and taken advantage of...he's more concerned about international image than domestic issues...so screw him and his English Pakistani dictionary.

link   

Yeeeah, that's how the country's name is actually prnounced.

It's like how Iraq isn't pronounced like "eye-rack" or even "ee-rack" but more like "eh-rock"

Amusingly, I can say "terror" but Bush always said "turrah" - Clearly, I must be mispronouncing it?

link   

Do you have any idea how the rest of the world cringes when Americans say it? Same as when you guys say iraq..gggaaaahhhhhh..the I in Iraq is pronounced like the i in "indigo" Not I as in 'I' am the one, a short vowel sound, not the letter ...and the 'a' in IrAq is pronounced like the 'u' in 'umbrella'. .......

Thank God he's taken the time to find out how to pronounce it rather than just put his own egotistical spin on it.

Its like if my name is Ricardo and someone just blatatly keeps calling me Richard. Its just clueless and arrogant really.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join