It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hate the way obama pronounces pakistan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Hmmm. pointless threads huh?well I guess your right this thread is pointless.It's just something that bugs me so I vented and wanted to know if any one else felt the same.But lets not label all my threads pointless,I do have one that's in this weeks newsletter

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
What like when we all say Spain, but it's actually España?

Or that we all say Europe, when it's actually Europa?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamLael
YES, YES, YES!!!!!

I'm glad you brought this up! Drives me nuts to hear how he says it.

This is America. We speak English (some of us still do at least.) We don't say PAH-kee-stahn. We say Pack-ist-an.

If Americans speak ENGLISH so damn well, why can't you even get the last letter of the ENGLISH alphabet right, its pronounced ZED, not ZEE, ZED!!!! Thats the way all the other ENGLISH countries say it. All this from a country who's teachers allow "y'all" as acceptable grammar. Jesus Christ this place makes my head hurt sometimes.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I dont normally do this but dear me, i am left wondering sometimes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b94b8b4c40a2.jpg[/atsimg]

As the poster above said, this place can make my head hurt too.

Perhaps a series of clicks and grunts would be more acceptable.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
He is pronouncing it correctly. Everybody has their little pet peeves, and this is one of mine. Especially Iraq and Iran. When I heard GB pronounce these, it was like fingernails on a chalk board.

It's this:

Iraq: E-rock
Iran: E-ron
Tehran: Teh-ron

Simple really. I was so happy to hear BO speak the first time, knowing my years of that dreadful (GB) accent were over.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

Why should he mispronounce the name of the country to make you feel better about yourself?

Because I'm an American citizen

Oh, I do like that rationale...

Do it wrong...cuz a'hm Amurican...an' I likes it that-a-way.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
What gets me is the number of people who find the fact that he pronounces it CORRECTLY as strange, then call him and others moranic when the word they so blithely use is actually spelt MORONIC!
There is no such thing as a moran!

[edit on 2/12/09 by wiser3]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
It's kind of like the way many news commentators speak normal English until they reach a Spanish word and they start channeling Ricky Ricardo for a few words. It does come across as pretentious, even if it is correctly pronounced.

Agreed, and that's why its so annoying. Not that it really matters, but its not consistent with his otherwise American dialect and as a result, its completely out of place and sounds ridiculous when he says it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not nearly as much as I hate the way he pronouces "the Tal eee bahn" or "the Holy Quran" with a perfect Arabic accent.

Have you ever heard him say the words "Holy Bible"? I didn't think so...we know he doesn't ever read it.

So let's send in 30,000 more guys so we can leave sooner. Huh?
July 2011 is exactly six months before the 2012 New Hampshire primary, so now we know Maobama is LBJ terrified of who's gonna be his Gene McCarthy

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
No, doesn't bother me at all. I think President Obama attempts to pronounce the country of Pakistan in the manner in which its citizens do.

I recognize that is a departure from how some previous presidents have spoken the word, however it possibly removes the possibility that some might believe that he was intentionally mispronoucing it to imply derisiveness. I think he is trying to be precise.

I'm not certain how the POTUS pronounces "Cuba", whether he says "QUE-ba" as many do, or "KU-ba" as is said in Cuba. I also don't know if he uses equal dilligence with other countries. That might be interesting to study.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I do think you actually make an interesting observation.

It *is* strange that he chooses this pronunciation over one more consistent with his otherwise Americanized speech.

I speak a few foreign languages where I often encounter certain names and have the urge to pronounce them in accordance with their 'proper' native pronunciation. But I have found that there is almost always a subtle reaction by those whom I am speaking with that indicates I have drawn attention to my *difference* with them, rather than to the point I was actually making.

So I have stopped doing that because I realize how distracting it is.

I do think he intends to send a subtle message to a few different audiences with his willful decision to pronounce Pakistan in the manner he does.

For those of you who think this shouldn't be a big deal, you are right. BUT it is an inescapable reality that many people perceive this negatively.

The question one therefore should ask is which audience is he really addressing when he does this? And at what expense to his other audiences?

Food for thought.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by loam]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think the bigger issue is all you guys pronouncing the 'j's incorrectly... its supposed to sound like your i or y! And dont get me started on å

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
[edit on 2-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I wanted to punch myself every time I heard George W. pronounce the word nuclear.

Now we're even.

PAH-KEE-STAHN
PAH-KEE-STAHN
PAH-KEE-STAHN
PAH-KEE-STAHN
PAH-KEE-STAHN

linguistic center in your brain getting a headache yet?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Has it ever occured to some of you that your nation could do with its leaders being seen as being educated, cosmopolitan and a bit pretentious?

It makes a nice change from bullying or charming bumbling asshat.

Though, I totally understand that you might want your leader to represent *you* literally.

[edit on 2009/12/2 by Aeons]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
What gets me is the number of people who find the fact that he pronounces it CORRECTLY as strange, then call him and others moranic when the word they so blithely use is actually spelt MORONIC!
There is no such thing as a moran!

[edit on 2/12/09 by wiser3]

Irony is a wonderful thing isn't it?
If he pronounces an Arabic country correctly he must be a muslim right?? Which means he is a terrorist right?? I heard he also is the cause of cancer, rain and cold sores! Oh, new Coke was his doing too.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

A new low in the parade of mindless Obama hating.
Here's my second line.
This is the dumbest thing I've heard today!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

A new low in the parade of mindless Obama hating.
Here's my second line.
This is the dumbest thing I've heard today!

I'm glad this is in the political madness section, cause that is entirely what it is, MADNESS!!!! Can you imagine if us Canadians got upset everytime jean cretchien pronounced something funny!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

You do realize language keeps evolving, yes?

Not that I am an expert on the subject.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
I think the bigger issue is all you guys pronouncing the 'j's incorrectly... its supposed to sound like your i or y! And dont get me started on å

Are you mental? We pronounce our J's just as people that speak english should, you may use it differently, but our laungage would fall to peices if we mage our J's sound like i's.
Crazy stuff

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join