It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Leaked UK government plan to create "Pirate Finder General" with power to appoint militi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

BREAKING: Leaked UK government plan to create "Pirate Finder General" with power to appoint militias, create laws

www.boingboing.net

A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me reliable information about the most radical copyright proposal I've ever seen.
Secretary of State Peter Mandelson is planning to introduce changes to the Digital Economy Bill now under debate in Parliament. These changes will give the Secretary of State (Mandelson -- or his successor in the next government) the power to make "secondary legislation" (legislation that is passed without debate) to amend the provisions of Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988).

What that means is that an unelected official would have the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It is ironic that this British "Baby Boomer" government used to label everyone in their youth who disagreed with their creed back then as "crypto fascist".
Well for a bunch of liberal social activists and hippies that wanted to make the world a better place I have never come across a more illiberal bunch of tossers.
Terrorism has been used as an excuse to spy on the British public whilst clearly Mandelson is in bed with the industry......EMI paying his mortgage payments?
What a bunch of corrupt self serving mendacious hypocrites that call themselves progressive and liberal.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What I would like this government to explain is. Instead of Downloading 700 albums I bought them, if they all got stolen, how THEN would I be able to reclaim the money lost aswell as albums that would be out of print or impossible to get again (limited editions for example.)

The Insurance companies deem that 15 pound albums are merely worth 5 pounds at best to reclaim as stolen property or anything else they'd be covered by in insurance liability, so why are we in the UK being charged the extra 10 pounds if there only worth 5?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
That sounds about right from Mandy... they forget they listened to pirate radio in the 60s...I agree with the bunch of tossers sentiment.. Mandy is a complete $%^&, and Gordo his , well I shouldn't say it. but I'm sure you know what I mean.

jack boots sum up this government...

Edit to add, the pirate radio stations changed the face of how we listened to music today, as will this new digital age change the model the industry uses... they should move with the times for once and lead the world rather than drag us backwards

[edit on 21/11/09 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kayne1982

A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me reliable information

OK, I've heard enough... this first line is typical of scams and hoaxes.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The sheer impracticality of imprisoning or penalizing 85% of UK's population will render this bill useless even if it does come to pass.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me reliable information

OK, I've heard enough... this first line is typical of scams and hoaxes.

It's a pity you didnt bother to read on. This thread is actaually old news and has been reposted elsewhere. The bones of this thread, about the three strikes rule has even been announced on the BBC news about two weeks ago

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Don't fret people,
If Mandys track record is anything to go by,he will slip up again soon and get booted the hell out of Government for a fourth time.
Yes,he has been sacked or made to leave 3 times before I do believe.

What a complete definition of fascism he depicts...unelected yet powerful,and a whore to the corporations.

The guy wants GMOs to be compulsory and wants people to be locked up for downloading a music video or two.

Hes also using the piracy thing as an excuse to watch and record all of everyones internet usage...if he gets his way at least.

The guy is Stalinist IMO...The fact that he used to be the Irish secretary during the tail end of the troubles means that he gets armed bodyguards for life.

That has gone to his head IMO,the guys ego is dangerous thing nowadays...

Gordon and Tony are saints compared to what Mandy would do if he ruled the UK,and I think he will become the next Labour party leader when Gordon loses the election.

Be afraid.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

The sheer impracticality of imprisoning or penalizing 85% of UK's population will render this bill useless even if it does come to pass.

I think in reality they are just desperate to target people who they do not like and have done nothing wrong, other than watched a movie online or something.

All laws are broken everyday and especially by police and government people. How many police take drugs for instance?

Whether true or not, i know how bad the uk is, and i would not be shocked by such legislation.

The question i have is why do the uk government want and have such a big say in europe, when they have isolated the country from it for so long.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
As far as I am aware there is a theme that Mandy is up to something... I was following this thread on the Guardian, titles "Say no to asbos for downloaders" the premise of the writers argument is,

All this together means Mandelson's plan violates the fundamental principle that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that only the guilty should be punished.

His system would see parents thrown off because of their children, children thrown off because of their parents and all thrown off because of a stranger.

So here's the key question: do we want to live in a society where people can be cut off from the internet without a trial, without a jury and without proving they committed any offence at all?

Which is where I agree with their argument, the government should not be given the power to punish people without a trial or indeed without proof.. which follows this governments theme of being complete, utter and total £$%^&*

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Is this in the Queens speech, prior to you posting this if so, it will run its course before, it is legislated, unles the Labour Government imposes emergency law ont he UK as a whole.

It will not happen.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Off course Mandelson wants something, he wants marshal law inposed on the UK before the next general election, that way, they can push through thier damm legislation, weither the population of the country likes it or not.

Until we in this country, the UK, not just, england, but scotland, wales and northern ire land, wake up to what is going on. It will not mater whatlegislation each individual country tries to impose on the voter, the present government plus madelson will make it irrelevant.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I think in reality they are just desperate to target people who they do not like and have done nothing wrong, other than watched a movie online or something.

Yup. Not many people know that it is also illegal to record a movie from the television using VHS. Yet everybody does that, or at least they used to. Nowdays it's all done digitally I imagine. Haven't watched tv in years.

This "piracy" they are talking about has gone on forever and is just continuing. In the 80s it would consist of people copying tapes and cds for each other. The industry is hurting no more than it did then.

And the thing I find really hilarious about this is that it's coming from a "labour" government. This "piracy" is redistribution of wealth at it's most basic, the very thing that Blair got elected to do. And yet we are being criminalized for redressing the balance. I mean it's not as if the record industry are a bunch of paupers because of a few downloaders, they are merely slightly less mega rich than they were previously. However WE are virtual slaves, with little to no time for recreation, and barely enough money for recreation even if we could find the time for it. Downloading is not a big problem, go worry about the rainforest or something please Mandelson.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Off course Mandelson wants something, he wants marshal law inposed on the UK before the next general election, that way, they can push through thier damm legislation, weither the population of the country likes it or not.

Until we in this country, the UK, not just, england, but scotland, wales and northern ire land, wake up to what is going on. It will not mater whatlegislation each individual country tries to impose on the voter, the present government plus madelson will make it irrelevant.

Mandy is dangerous.. I mean even Guardian readers are concerned! But I really believe Orwell hits it right on the nail when he claimed the people of Britain where the real sleepwalking nation and I really do feel we are sleepwalking into a dictatorship..

But my real fear is the people will wake up at the eleventh hour and there will be blood on our streets..

Edit to add: I can see the return of Captain Swing type riots to my part of the country..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

But my real fear is the people will wake up at the eleventh hour and there will be blood on our streets..

Edit to add: I can see the return of Captain Swing type riots to my part of the country..

At least that way a stand is made, although the general amount of people i talk to about this subject either believe you but don't care or they give you a strange look and change the subject.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

But since they are wakening up to what is going on, most of them while some of them have racisist views, are all classed as racists in the eyes of the PTB in the UK protraying this, to the rest of the UK as a whole. It is the same old game lets pass he buck from one party to the other, I for one is sick of it. I will not be voting for either labour, conservative or the liberals... Until this country gets its marbles back and really contributes to the world as a whole. Or until it realises it cannot do what this country has dine before and help its own people, rather than those outside its own borders!!!

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Better that than people not waking up at all.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

A stand might be made, yet it's a long process to get to that point, but I wouldn't say people in this corner of the UK are close minded to the issues we all face. People here are moving along that process..

In the last few years in my district a new currency has sprung up, over 200 times the 86 pay and display machines have been blown up, a borough has started having it's own independence day (sets up it's own borders and presidential elections.. it's a fun day, but serious undertones) and serious boycotts of the corporate world that are trying to change our high streets into grey copies of each other.

So these are the undertones that I feel... lines are being drawn and people are not happy, for me it feels like we are on a process heading somewhere and the more the likes of Mandy try to curtail our rights, the worse it will get and we might get to that point where a stand will be made.

reply to post by Laurauk

I can't abide the lib-lab-con artists, and won't be voting for any of them either.. I'm just not sure who I can vote for at the moment.. They are all con artists full of spin and lies.

But I guess we are fortunate in this part of the Britain (as with many other rural areas) that the extremes have not taken root. I've read on a few UAF forums UAF members questioning why the BNP can't make in roads in Sussex, but they forget that neither can the UAF make in roads here, people here don't seem to like either end of that spectrum, if they are anything the mood is anti-establishment, since it is the establishment that causes these issues in the first place..

I agree with your view on the way the racism card is played, but it gets used way to often for the slightest thing that will leave it at some point with little meaning and it's use as counter productive.

I'll give you an idea of the temperament of the people here, the predominant colours are smugglers colours
and I am sure most will be quite happy under a pirates flag.. but I do feel we are heading down an unpleasant path.. and feel there can only be one outcome if the establishment does not change in tone in how we are treated..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Better that than people not waking up at all.

True, but unless it is the whole country nothing will change..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Sorry, wrong thread.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by GoldenFleece]

<<   2 >>

join