It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Leaked UK government plan to create "Pirate Finder General" with power to appoint militi

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If I lived in Britain, I'd be getting off that rock!!! Anywhere would be better than there!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
But Jesus taught me to share. Check mate! Next!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
If I lived in Britain, I'd be getting off that rock!!! Anywhere would be better than there!!!

Easier said than done, as there are 26 other rocks that have been infested by the NWO scum.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If it is ever heavily enforced in America I will go to war with the government.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I always get a chuckle at how sad copyright legislation gets. For the sake of profit for already massive companies, we have no rights.

You downloaded an album that you already owned a CD of, but didn't feel like ripping it for your MP3 player yourself? Well screw you, buddy. You owe the record labels $125,000!!!! You downloaded a non-DRM copy of an album you got from a legal music downloading service because the DRM was causing problems? HA! Silly consumer, you have no such rights. You want to listen to the whole album before deciding if it was worth your hard earned money? Cheater! We can't scam you if you already know the album is crap.

Granted, I focused on music piracy, but it can still hold true to other area's.

You have DVD's but don't want to go through the effort of ripping them yourself? You own a DVD but it's badly scratched and won't read? You just like to have back ups? To bad, now pay us a ridiculous amount of money.

Software is similar. Copy protection gets more and more advanced, but it's always flawed. The pirates get around it easily, with a cracked exe or a patching program. Meanwhile, people who spent their money on the software are the ones having problems.

The works do deserve compensation. But piracy won't disappear any time soon. The company's are trying vacuum out our wallets and the governments (pretty much all of them) are bending over backwards to help them. There are ways to combat the effect of piracy, but still living symbiotically with it. Indie bands, games, etc have said repeatedly that piracy, to them, is like free publicity. If the band is good, people will show up at the concerts. If the game is good, people will give rave reviews that will convince others to purchase. Ok... hollywood couldn't do that last one because to many people would be complaining that the movie sucked... but you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I don't quite get this, how can they enact a law without it passing through parliament? How can they charge someone £50,000 on an accusations? When did the basic laws changed that required evidence to be presented? If we can now all just accuse someone to get cash then i accuse Gordon Brown of stealing my cd collection and i demand compensation!

The three strikes and you're out rule is also a scary one. Apart from the fact that certain controllers of trackers insert random IP addresses (which could include yours) to discredit any court cases. People can and do regularly use other peoples wireless connections if they haven't secured them. And further what if everyone sharing a house loses their internet access because one person downloads something illegal? How can the government punish multiple people for one persons crime, legally how can they?

I recommend that if you are really worried about this (and you should be) that you look up encrypted VPN's. These services cost maybe 5 pounds a month for unlimited bandwidth. They work by encrypting your connection and routing it through a server. It's a bit like a proxy only way faster. Most of these services do not allow you to use P2P networks but as someone who has used one a long time i've never been kicked off of it.

Important note here, i download legal content! The UK government paints bittorrent and other services as pirate networks and yet tons of legal content is shared via torrents. It just goes to show that the government is completely out of touch with the uses that civilians put technology to.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
If the copyright holders had their way (not the artists, the recording companies and their lawyers) I would have to buy a CD for my CD player, then pay for another download fee for my MP3 player and another download for my PC.

I remember seeing a story about a report a couple of years back by RIAA in the US. They had, at that time, recovered about $400 Million in fines against companies and individuals for illegal downloads / use of material. When asked how much had been passed to the artists, those that they supposedly support with this kind of legislation, the anser was a big fat $0. After paying the lawyers fees and the recording companies, there was nothing left. That is then a perfect example of just how this sort of legislation is designed to line the pockets of the lawyers and recording companies, not to protect the material of the artists.

All of this could have been resolved a decade or more ago if the recording companies had moved with the times and embraced the new technology and introduced download plans. But no, they prefer to try and screw everyone for every little bit that they can get. The fines imposed are outrageously excessive and totally unrealistic for the "crime" commited. Real criminals get fines for much worse that are a tiny fraction of what the copyright lawyers demand.

I won't even go into what I think of Mandelson, suffice to say that if he was hit by a bus tomorrow, his grave would probably become the best used urinal in the country!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kayne1982

But my real fear is the people will wake up at the eleventh hour and there will be blood on our streets..

Edit to add: I can see the return of Captain Swing type riots to my part of the country..

[edit on 21/11/09 by thoughtsfull]

At least that way a stand is made, although the general amount of people i talk to about this subject either believe you but don't care or they give you a strange look and change the subject.

Yup I know that strange look very well dude, incidentally there was a video floating about a documentary on bilderberg. In the doc Mandy was seen on the bus (or car) heading fro the Bilderberg meeting, apparently illegal as he was in office.

Anyone know what happened to the documentary ?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Just posted the blow on a similar thread.

Another aspect to this: if they push ahead with this ridiculous legislation, it means they'll have to have the ISP's logging / scanning every bit of email - for content - and every site we visit to make sure we are not viewing / downloading unauthorised material.

Now, didn't the government just have to abandon a similar scheme, based alegedly on anti-terrorism? This looks like a back door method to introduce the same, or even more wide ranging legislation, that has previously been abandoned.

Any thoughts people?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Once again I just want to say I think these new laws are not really about illegal copyrights but about giving themselves the power to quickly shutdown sites and information that is the truth! They will use the possibility of the tiniest infraction on copyrights via something written on a site or a pic or anything to shut it down if it's not on board with their propaganda machine! It's a sad day for liberty when this trash comes into being. And make no mistake, it will, and we will lose the open flow of information between citizens on the internet... Sad day indeed

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The establishment are crowbaring themselves into every aspect of our lives, creating more platforms to enforce their corporate world view... the question is what next, what will the corporates demand next?

I bet most of those pushing this through will be the ones who listened to the pirate stations in the 60s and 70s over the old BBC... I bet they'll never consider that... while those pirate stations forced the industry model to change, while left unchecked todays version will do the same...

Except corporates now own the government in ways they never did in the 60s.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Screw EMI and all the record industry. Greedy, useless, diluted, fools.

I suggest everyone re-locates their IP addresses and uses proxy-identities and BOMBARDS the politicians with complaints.

Even better let's try and get the politicians get cut off from the internet just for being vacuous crettins, does anyone know if it's possible to somehow make it look like THEY have been downloading music??

That would make me laugh.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Okay so from what I've read they are saying that a simple accusation would be enough to have you cut off, no evidence necessarily required? Accusations from who? The general public? The ISPs? Surely everyone has the right to be innocent until proven guilty doesn't this contravene human rights, data protection act etc?

If a simple accusation is all that's required then let's start pointing the fingers at everyone, starting with politicians, record companies, musicians, film makers and so on..

sigh

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA

If a simple accusation is all that's required then let's start pointing the fingers at everyone, starting with politicians, record companies, musicians, film makers and so on..

sigh

I'm seriously with you on this. let's start with the politicians, fat cats and all the other wankers who ruin our lives.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
yes I think the only way to try and combat this is to fight fire with fire, a coordinated net campaign to hit the record/movie/games studios (and yes I know the artists, but a cut in income might raise their voices too) and taxman where it hurts - in the pocket.

A NO MUSIC..NO MOVIES WEEK where the buying public keep their cash and start listening to and watching the items from their collections (how many of us buy stuff and stick it on the shelf to gather dust?) and make sure it's very public using twitter, msn and all the forums that they want to snoop on and control.

Once revenue takes a nose dive then they might think again? A quick google shows that approx £8 billion is spent annually on cd's, music downloads and dvds etc in the UK that's £153 846 154 per week that's £1,846,153,848 in potential sales that could be kept in the publics pockets if they refuse to buy any music or movies for 1 week per month.. unless my maths sucks which it normally does that's a fair bit of coin..that's bound to get some attention?

B

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

A very, very good idea.

Hopefully if we can spread awareness then fingers crossed it may spread like wildfire as you say.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

A great idea but sadly few people will actually do it. The people will fall into one of three groups.

1. They'll sign up to do it but actually won't, they'll complain alot to their friends about it though and maybe even an internet forum.

2. They won't sign up and don't care because they don't realise the importance of the issue.

3. They'll sign up and do it. This will be like 1% of people because in all truth, most people talk and don't do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join