It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announcing "Significant" Water on Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

NASA Announcing "Significant" Water on Moon

www.prnewswire.com

Since the impacts, the LCROSS science team has been analyzing the huge amount of data the spacecraft collected. The team concentrated on data from the satellite's spectrometers, which provide the most definitive information about the presence of water. A spectrometer helps identify the composition of materials by examining light they emit or absorb.

"We are ecstatic," said Anthony Colaprete, LCROSS project scientist and principal investigator at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif. "Multiple lines of evidence show water was present in both the high angle vapor plume and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
We all knew this after Chandrayaan-1 confirmed that there was water on the moon. Now NASA is announcing the findings of the LCROSS mission. What is interesting about this is that they are making it seem like a big deal. Is the American public being duped into thinking that NASA is the first to discover there is significant water on the moon? We knew this already.

I'd love to find out what the LCROSS mission was really about. For some reason "discovering water" does not seem like the real reason.

www.prnewswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

While I'll agree that something still seems fishy to me with the LCROSS mission. Saying they found, I guess a significant amound of water still seems like a big deal.

I didn't know someone else already claimed and proved there to be significant water on the moon. I thought the Indian satellite just showed that water was present but didn't state if it was a lake, water crystals, or any significant amount.

I could just be uninformed.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

I'd love to find out what the LCROSS mission was really about. For some reason "discovering water" does not seem like the real reason.

Wasn't the intention of NASA's mission to see if there could be abundant water resources? Not just discovering water?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
translation:

Please President Obama, do not scrap our program and do not let China be the first nation to return to the Moon

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There was already a thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
While I think that the Indian mission suggested the possibility of water, or even probability of it, the LCROSS mission's goal was to confirm it.

Not only confirm water, but to also get a pretty in-depth knowledge of everything in the soil composition.
They are saying that there are hints of "other intriguing substances" in the soil. I wonder what that could mean.

At any rate, this is pretty big news.
They need to get a terraforming project underway up there ASAP.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Is the water 4.6 Billion years old?
What happens if i drink it?
Will i turn into an alien?
If i'm moving to the moon, i will take my own Fiji Water bottles.
Let the Helium -3 mining begin!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
translation:

Please President Obama, do not scrap our program and do not let China be the first nation to return to the Moon

If the UK races to the south pole of the moon, the USA will back
you up. Go ahead. The Helium -3 is just waiting for you. $$$
We're in a bad recession over here. sorry.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I just saw this on Fox News...they had some expert talking about 'water, oxygen and hydrogen' now confirmed on the moon. Additionally, the "expert" went on to describe the 'dark side of the moon having never experienced light and it would have been impossible for NASA to land there as the temperatures are like -200 Degrees F. The news anchor then opened into the 'theories' regarding the 'dark side of the moon' having life.

Uhm, doesn't the moon get direct sunlight everywhere? Do they think we are that stupid.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Really? 100% sure?

Must find a transcript

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Britain already has territory at the South Pole.
No need to help us, naval patrols occur daily.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Are you serious?!
That is AWESOME.
New ammunition to slam FOX News with.

I can't believe anyone listens to that crap anyhow.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I think Eurisko was suggesting you Brits race to the South Pole of the Moon. Not Antarctica.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

Uhm, doesn't the moon get direct sunlight everywhere? Do they think we are that stupid.

No. Haven't you ever heard of the phrase "The dark side of the moon". One side of the moon never sees sunlight....seriously.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Not only confirm water, but to also get a pretty in-depth knowledge of everything in the soil composition.

Texas Tea, Black Gold, Oil...ole Jeds a Millionaire he said pack up the moon folks and let's fly away from here, to the Hills the Beverly Hills that is.

The Beverly Cone Heads...staring Bill Murray, Elaine Nueman and introducing Sarah Palin as Grannie!

[edit on 13/11/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

After a few more experiments, more crap Nasa footage, more disinformation and some years later could this become a reality...

I find it ironic the fact that theres so much problems on this earth especially with poverty yet ridiculous sums of money would be pumped into something such as this.

Soon, someone stupid is going to touch the hob and get a scolding for it just like any other fool who touches something thats not supposed to be touched.
Unfortunately usually when that happens the rest of us get the suffering for it.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

No. Haven't you ever heard of the phrase "The dark side of the moon". One side of the moon never sees sunlight....seriously.

Yes, the dark side of the moon does see day light. During a solar eclipse, the dark side of the moon is completely illuminated.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

you are wrong. every side of the moon gets sunlight. there are pictures of the "dark side"

you beat me to it Snarf. and I just watched Thundercats not 15 minutes ago on OnDemand lol

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Totalstranger]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

Well, 60% of the moon is visible from earth. So 60% of the moon is covered by light viewable from earth. but the moon goes through cycles as viewed from the earth...that means the sun is shining on the 'dark side of the moon.'

I'm not a science type person but it seems obvious to me that if we cannot see the moon during a NEW MOON. It is because the sun is on the opposite side that we cannot view.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join