It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Lightning Discovered (On Earth!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

www.dailygalaxy.com

Like all the most awesome discoveries, it was unexpected. The Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope was launched to examine the universe for the stupendously powerful processes that produce gamma ray bursts, from black hole jets to the effects of dark matter itself, only to find blasts coming from behind it. From Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
longer article found here:
www.sciencenews.org...

Oh, isn't this exciting! We've found it, now we just have to harness it.

I wonder if the antimatter signatures are something science has been missing for a long while, or if this is just a rare event.

hopefully this hasn't been posted

www.dailygalaxy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by starstrings

And the universe just got a little smaller!

Thanks for sharing, S&F!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Wonder if we could use Anti Carbon to reduce the Carbon in the atmosphere

Course we gota learn to make anticarbin first lol

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I want to be excited, but I am having a hard time understanding what exactly is going on here. I read the article, but maybe I read it wrong because I still do not understand what they are sayin. If anyone can explain the significance of this in English, Id be happy to hear it.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Perhaps this explains a lightning explosion the night before last here in Vancouver.

MASSIVE blast of thunder, at the same time as a bolt of light bright enough to cut through my eyelids as I am asleep goes off. House shook like a bomb went off above it.

But no other strikes. No other thunder. Just this singular, massive, thunderous blast. Roomate from Texas was shaken, had never seen anything like it.

Myself, I thought they had nuked the city or something. It was bizarre.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

I've seen one like that before many years back, when I was about 12.

My dad was in the army, so we lived on base and in the middle of the night I was woken by an almighty flash, as you described enough to go through my curtains and my eyelids and wake me.

It was followed by an enormous bang. I was convinced for quite a while afterwards we had been nuked, until my dad re-assured me otherwise.

But the strangest thing was it was an otherwise quiet night, no storms or any other lightning at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Glad to know I'm not alone. I did a quick google search for such occurrences but couldn't turn up anything. Filed it away as one of those bizarre freaks of nature till this thread came along.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Wonder if we could use Anti Carbon to reduce the Carbon in the atmosphere

Course we gota learn to make anticarbin first lol

Yes anti carbon would reduse the carbon in the atmosphere.

A few tons of anti carbon would blow the atmosphere clean off the planet and likely blow the planet into pieces,

The reaction between mater and anti mater is 1000s of times more powerful then a nuclear device.

If you took a equal amount of anti carbon to the carbon in the atmosphere and mixed them the flash/blast would be seen many light years away.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Er.. wait a minute.. I'm with the guy above who doesn't really understand this or think it's not very clear about what they are exactly saying.

The anti matter in this lightning.. wouldn't it make contact with matter in the air and thus go Boom having matter and anti matter mix.. and wouldn't such a big lightening strike have annihilated this planet long ago? Or is this such a tiny amount it only makes a little boom? Er.. O.k. I feel like a dummy now though I admit Physics is not my strong suit.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm a layman in physics as well, but as far as I understand, this will be one of the most important discoveries in a very long time!

Ummm... This is something that people who study this sort of thing have really only thought existed at a theoretical level. It is on par with some of the most violent energetic exchanges known to exist in the universe, as far as I can tell.

No wonder those UFOs hover over our electrical storms. It is fuel.

If true this is a profound discovery.

The thing is, I'm thinking that explaining it will be the tricky part, but if I were to guess this is what happens when parallel universes "collide".

What you are seeing is an anti particle meeting with and annihilating a physical particle.

This will also cause more forward thinking scientists to reevaluate their ideas on intelligent life covering extreme distances through space.

Correction - It appears they had already evidenced antimatter elsewhere.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
No wonder aliens buzz around lightning storms

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
WOW!

Field reversals and antimatter production?
So much for the thunder being caused by a temporary vacuum collapsing.
How long before we can produce the same effects in a generator?

WOW!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Very cool news indeed! It will be interesting to see how they intend of harvesting it. Will it be put to good use... like powering the earth... or will they just bang it on a warhead. Something tells me the later is more likely to be true.

I can only hope now that they find antimoron!

IRM

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Perhaps this explains a lightning explosion the night before last here in Vancouver.

MASSIVE blast of thunder, at the same time as a bolt of light bright enough to cut through my eyelids as I am asleep goes off. House shook like a bomb went off above it.

But no other strikes. No other thunder. Just this singular, massive, thunderous blast. Roomate from Texas was shaken, had never seen anything like it.

Myself, I thought they had nuked the city or something. It was bizarre.

All you gottta do is live in the tropics for one wet season and you will get these. They usually occur through whats known as a pulse strom, which builds suer fast in a matter of minutes, causes a bit of havoc, and then dissapears as quickly as it appeared. Occasionally you only get one or two claps of thunder out of them

Hope that makes a bit of sense

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
This is fascinating, great thread.

If I remember correctly, there is a video here on ATS of a guy speaking on how extraterrestrial crafts work and why they emit light in completely darkness. He compared it to the lightning in storms.

(Also, if any has seen the movie The Golden Compass, there is a scene where the zeppelin is harvesting lightning)

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

I'll second your observation. I think it was Sunday or Monday night. I live in Yaletown and face English Bay and can see both bridges. I didn't hear the thunder but definitely saw the flash. At first I thought a trolley bus brought down the overhead wires on the bridge because the flash of light had a blue colour to it.

Very bizarre

Cool about the OP though. Seems our knowledge of how the universe works is getting better by leaps and bounds. We'll see what develops out of this.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
So these would differ from Sprites and Jets im guessing, or would it be caused by them? Pretty cool though either way.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Cars running on water with boosted sparks and (often) modified sparkplugs at high frequencies make a cold spark, seemingly doing the whole 'vacuum/ZPE/implosion' energy dance. I'd hedge a bet it's the same stuff millions of times larger occuring in the air above us. I'd also bet an antimatter implosion would reverse the field of the spark too...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Does this mean that if you get struck by lighting in the right way you could end up in another universe/time? It would be Russian Roulette trying it but Hollywood certainly suggested so in some fantasy movies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join