It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Lightning Discovered (On Earth!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is an interesting read, for sure. I wonder if and when it will have any implications on the world of science. I know we have made anti-matter before but the cost was astronomical and there wasn't enough to really experiment with it.

I would think that lightning would have about the same minuscule amount. But, and this is a big But, there are over 100 strikes at any second on the Earth. Even if there was a tiny fraction of a micro gram in a bolt of lightning and we could harness some of it, it would be amazing at what we could tap with it.

Exciting for sure...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Scientists have finally found the one spot on the planet where Jay Cutler can never throw an interception. I'm so glad we traded that rascal.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
I'm going to guess that this is an equipment malfunction of some kind. My guess is that the lightning is obscuring the results.

I doubt it was an equipment malfunction. You are looking for a specific signature which is a photon with energy equal to the electron's mass. Since this was not an optical device, and removed from the lightning by a huge distance, I just don't see a lot of potential for interference.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Thank you for pointing that out. I also appreciate your change of attitude. You have earned a little more respect from me now. Not that that means anything really, just saying

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
what is significant about this?

antimatter lightning is found....so what? what can/will come from this?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56
what is significant about this?

antimatter lightning is found....so what? what can/will come from this?

Is is miss information.
It maters to the secret agents to say this.
You just don't get it.
This is Relativistic mind manipulation.

The electrical pressure wave exists.
Tesla made them and to you and everyone else they do not exist.
They can effect the mind and provide mind control without a chip
implant if enough research is done.

What, 60 years since Tesla died.
I think they know how things work by now.

We are told garbage info, a lightning electrical pressure
wave made the gamma rays, what else.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

If you think of reality in terms of the Matrix, then Zeus and the gods (even those who call themselves the ONLY god) are just people with master level administrator access to the system known as reality.

I want a planet. Boom! Planet. Uh, I want a war. Hmm. Grab these monster teeth from Ares that have 'god' energy embedded within them, plant them, and voila! A standing army ready to kill anyone.

Lightning bolt? ZPE field generated by Zeus then configured by his desire to fry you to a crisp. It even got out of control in the myths and burned the entire planet, to his horror.

Mathematics and programming can explain everything from science, to ghosts, to gods, to the unknown. If you have access, then you can do pretty much anything depending on your experience, will, and understanding.

We change reality simply by existing, whether unintelligent skeptics believe or not. We hold the power, and yet we allow morons in capitols to tell us how, where, when, why, and if we can live.

Due to T&C of ATS I am forbidden to even talk of my experiences and why there is much more to reality than what we are told. Oh well.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by whiteraven
Just incredible.

Anti Gravity and now anti matter.

Am I living in a comic book world?

Nope, my friend we are advancing.

Of course we already have most of this technology. It is just very suppressed and being introduced by T'FN'PTB at a rate not to interfere with their plunder of this planet.

Why introduce technologies that will hinder your profit from the oil game that is going on?

I've come to realize that comic book/sci-fi film technology isn't far from the truth in a lot of cases. Truth is stranger than fiction! Indeed.

Edit to add: It's just like the announcement today that there is significant water/ice on our moon. It's conditioning mates. Releasing the information at a rate that they can benefit from, and at a rate that will not freak out the fluoridated masses.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by susp3kt]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Very interesting, good find! S&F!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Lightning Turns out there's antimatter in there. Who knew?
Whilst carrying out its normal workaday duties of scanning corners of the universe billions of light years from Earth, the Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope has made a discovery that hits decidedly closer to home: lightning strikes on Earth carry the signature of antimatter.

Gamma ray flashes detected in terrestrial storms were of the decaying-positron variety, indicating not only that lightning can produce the antimatter equivalent of electrons, but also that somehow the electric field normally produced by a lightning storm somehow reversed.

Related Articles
Lightning From Laser Beams
It's My Antimatter in a Box
Kaboom! Kerpow! Antimatter to the Rescue

Tags
Science, Clay Dillow, antimatter, Fermi space telescope, gamma rays, gamma-ray bursts, lightning, physics, positronsThe 17 gamma-ray flashes picked up by the orbiting Fermi occurred just before, during and right after lightning strikes during two recent storms, marking the first time positrons have been observed in lightning. For now, the discovery raises more questions than it answers: how did the orientation of the electric field get turned on its head? What does the existence of antimatter particles in lightning mean?

Gamma-ray flashes have been observed in lightning flashes before, as energetic electrons moving toward observational spacecraft slowed down, but the unique signature found by Fermi has researchers puzzled. Modelers are trying to work out exactly what happened during the strikes to reverse the electric field.

[Science News]
.Previous Article: IEA Whistleblower Claims Agency Has Downplayed Looming Oil Shortage
Next Article: Are You Drinking Water From Outer Space Right Now?
.5 Comments
link to this commentanimemaster11/11/09 at 4:22 pm
That's cooler than xray tape.

..link to this commentsteve2811/11/09 at 6:56 pm
If it were possible to re create the conditions that cause this strange occurance could it be possible to generate positrons on demand , what would that lead to ? Ok back to my collection of star trek dvds to get the answers , lol .

..link to this commentAzorus11/12/09 at 6:14 am
Still waiting for my lighting gun. Which when created will quickly be named Antimatter gun!

..link to this comment jaydub11/12/09 at 10:39 am
lol @steve28

my thoughts exactly.

..link to this commentpersondude11/14/09 at 9:56 am
SCIENTISTS KNOW TOO MUCH! SOON THE WHOLE WORLD WILL GO INTO A STATE OF PANIC BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY THINK IS "LIFE-CHANGING"

..To comment, please Login.Popular TagsScience
global warmingmedicinephysicsbacteriaHow it WorksbiologyfoodrobotsNASAnew technologyshort science articlesevolutionnanotech
Regular Features
•The Doctor Is In with Isadora Botwinick | Weird and wild stories of the human body, health and disease
•Sex Files with Susannah F. Locke | A broad view of new research and ideas in the sexiest of the hard sciences
•Science Confirms the Obvious with Laura Allen | The research that makes us say "duh"
All Tags All Photos All Videos .
Photo Galleries
RSS LinkScience

Gallery: Where Toxins Come From
Repairing the LHC
The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2009.+ More Photo Galleries.

Download Our iPhone App
Stay up to date on the latest news of the future of science and technology from your iPhone with full articles, images and offline viewing

Follow Us On Twitter
Featuring every article from the magazine and website, plus links from around the Web. Also see our PopSci DIY feed

Become a Fan On Facebook
Share links with friends, comment on stories and more

December 2009: Best of What's New
In our December issue, Popular Science names the 100 best innovations of the year: bombproof wallpaper, self-parking cars, the fastest helicopter, and 97 more. Plus inventor profiles and videos.

Check out the best of what's new here.

.Popular Science Photo Pool
Share your photos in the Pop Sci pool at www.flickr.com!
Technorati Profile.Popular on PopsciMost ViewedMost CommentedMost Emailed Science
1.Baguette Dropped From Bird's Beak Shuts Down The Large Hadron Collider (Really)
2.China's Weather Manipulation Brings Crippling Snowstorm to Beijing
3.Synthetic Molecules Trick Body Into Improved Immune Response to HIV, Cancer
4.Gray Matter: The Hidden Uses of Everyday Explosives
5.Old Soviet Warheads Fuel America's Nuclear Power Industry
6.Vatican Ponders the Existence Of Alien Life
7.Nanoparticles Can Damage DNA Without Crossing Cellular Barrier
8.Implantable Device Allows Mastectomy Patients to Regrow Own Breasts
9.IEA Whistleblower Claims Agency Has Downplayed Looming Oil Shortage
10.Mutant Bacteria Are Likely to Threaten Future Space Travelers
Science0.Baguette Dropped From Bird's Beak Shuts Down The Large Hadron Collider (Really)0.This Week in the Future, November 6-13, 20090.This Week in the Future, October 30- November 6, 20090.China's Weather Manipulation Brings Crippling Snowstorm to Beijing0.British Academy To Look Into Ethics of Human-Animal Genetic Hybrids 0.So Much For "Hopenhagen"0.Modified Algae Produce Clean, Easy Hydrogen0.Vatican Ponders the Existence Of Alien Life 0.IEA Whistleblower Claims Agency Has Downplayed Looming Oil Shortage 0.Mutant Bacteria Are Likely to Threaten Future Space Travelers
Science0.Fermi Telescope Detects Antimatter in Lightning Storms0.Modified Algae Produce Clean, Easy Hydrogen0.IEA Whistleblower Claims Agency Has Downplayed Looming Oil Shortage 0.New Website Tracks $21 Billion in Stimulus Dollars for Science0.Mesmerizing, Isn't It?0.Liquid Cooling Bags For Data Centers Could Trim Cost and Carbon By 90 Percent0.Oceans on Europa Have Enough Oxygen to Support Space Fish0.So Much For "Hopenhagen"0.Atlantis Launching Today in Shuttle Fleet's Final ISS Crew-Rotation Mission (Live Feed)0.Revisiting Old Ideas, Researchers Gain Entirely New View of Fluid Dynamics

Name
Address
City
State -- AAAEAPAL AKABASAZ ARBCCACO CTDEDCFL GAGUHIID ILINIAKS KYLAMEMB MDMAMIMN MSMOMTNT NENVNBNH NJNMNYNL NCNDMPNS OHOKONOR PWPAPEPR PQRISKSC SDTNTXUT VTVIVAWA WVWIWYYT Zip
Email
...Today on PopSci.com

My Quest To Analyze Every Man-Made Chemical In My Body
Gallery: This Year's Most Amazing Microscopic Photography
A Three-Way View Of the Center Of the Galaxy
Baguette Dropped From Bird's Beak Shuts Down The Large Hadron Collider (Really)
Verizon Droid by Motorola: The Five-Minute Review
Inside Astronaut Boot Camp
MegaGoods 2009: The Year's Hottest Products in One Place
Fermi Space Telescope Captures Glimpse of Space-Time
Liftoff For NASA's Ares I-X Rocket (Video and Photos)
Video: Boston Dynamics' Petman Is the Creepy Bipedal Evolution of Big Dog
Footer Menu
SubscribeSubscriber ServicesSite MapAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseRSS FeedsPS Showcase.

Copyright © 2009 Popular Science

A Bonnier Corporation Company. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join