It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LRO image of Crystal Towers!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Well, this caption comes straight from Lunar Reconnaissance OrbiterCamera website:

Impact events, volcanism, and tectonism form the majority of features found on the Moon. However landslides are an important modifier of the landscape at small scales. Ultimately, the source of landslides are seismic events triggered by impacts or movements deep inside the Moon. These shaking events cause poorly consolidated material on steep slopes to slide downhill. In this case the slide spreads out in a complex of narrow finger-like streamers. What controls this distinctive pattern? The process is controlled by the energy of the shaking, the size of particles in the slide, the steepness of the slope, and volume of the source deposit. Mars also has many landslide deposits, so scientists are using the new LROC data to compare with these martian counterparts.

Marius crater (41 km diameter) is located in Oceanus Procellarum (11.9°N, 50.8°W) and is notable for its mare-filled floor - unequivocal evidence that it formed before the surrounding mare basalts flooded the region.

Fixed link

There are NOT images to compare with, since LROC has been the first one able to provide us with some sub-metric resolution images (the second one, Kaguya-Selene terrain camera, has some ten times poorer resolution).
It doesn't matter whether it's the rim of the crater or not, what matter are slope, composition of the terrain and what possibly caused the unsound material to to slide downhill.
Anyway, it IS the rim f the crater:

Image Data
Time Wed Oct 07 15:39:29 UTC 2009
Orbit 1281
Center Longitude -50.81°
Center Latitude 12.44°

Resolution 0.51 m/pixel
Mode Native

wms.lroc.asu.edu...

The center of the image is the one marked with the red sphere in the following image showing Marius Crater: since the feature is located more or less in the middle of the image, it would fall on the rim anyway.

Fixed link # 2

In my humble (and unbiased) opinion what we see is perfectly consistent with landslides, while honestly I'm having hard time in trying to spot any possible clue indication the presence of any Crystal Towers, (which I would have loved to see): but as said, it's just my opinion, and i could be wrong.
Thanks for sharing

[edit to fix darn links]

[edit on 10/11/2009 by internos]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I am TIRED of the low res, grayscale images we get of the moon!!!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Ruins of the Moon Kingdom I imagine. Queen Serenity and King Endymion lived there during the Silver Millennium. It was also frequented the Sailor Senshi and their 2 two feline advisers, Luna and Artemis.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Samukun]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Idk. I could see were you're coming from about the glass structures and all but I really don't think this picture has anything to do with glass structures. sorry.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whattheh

I've often thought about people with money, and that there must be SOME that have an interest in exposing the truth of what is up there on the moon and in orbit around Earth.

If a handful got together, they could even earn out of it if they took a few fee paying passengers along.

If a handful of schoolkids, can send up a balloon, to the edge of space, take fairly decent photo's using a cheap digicam, then collect the results and post online, for the grand total of a few hundred $, then i'm sure a handful of millionaires/billionaires could do a similar thing...

Robbie Williams reading this?

You've got a few quid in the bank Robbie, fancy starting a consortium of investors in a space research venture?

The payoff is truth...much more valuable than bit's of paper with a drawing of the queen on you know!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw
reply to post by Chadwickus

So you think that orientation is the correct one? As I said before there is no "up". Why did the LRO team rotate it that way? Oh yeah becasue it looks less like glass towers that way.

We can go around in circles like this for ever. There is no proper orientation. There is no up or down.

They don't look like "glass towers" either way - no height.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The LRO's cameras are a high enough resolution to see "domes" should they exist.

The google earth shots that are taken by satellite are at the same resolution, and the closer shots are taken by cameras on the underside of airplanes.

If we want closer up shots of rocks, then we'll need to send craft closer to the surface. We're not going to do that, as we don't need high-res photos of rocks just yet, as NASA doesn't have unlimited funding, and has other areas of research & discovery to be getting on with as well.

So, unless these photos show any actual "domes, towers" or other interesting "objects" then nobody will fund a mission for higher resolution shots. So far, they have shown interesting landslides, craters, mountains etc.... but unfortunately no domes or towers.

This photo is a landslide, and has being labelled just that by NASA. Only the lunatics are attempting to twist NASA photos for their own agenda, and all the noteworthy people such as the badastronomer blogger agree that this is a landslide.

It's ironic how the lunatics attack NASA as soon as their little deception in adjusting NASA photos has been uncovered, yet they'll also use photos from NASA as wacky evidence of what they claim as "moon domes", yet also claim NASA cannot be trusted. If NASA cannot be trusted why the hell are they using NASA photos at all as evidence for their own claims!! Because doing just that is stupid & hypocritical! And why the hell would NASA release these photos at all if they wanted to cover something up!!

edit: Oh, and whichever way the photo is - nothing there looks like a glass or crystal tower!! What will you lot be claiming next - towers built by aliens made of moon-rock!! Ooooooooooohhhhhh!!!

[edit on 10-11-2009 by john124]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

Very interesting picture. Crystal towers would only look like that if they were masking them.
Crystal cities are beautiful. I've seen those in meditations on pleiades. Though when the new plane emerges we are going to see that we were never alone and much that is on Mars, the moon, our skies. I wonder how an interdimensional building would look 3D, it might be very different, and masked in appearance.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Crystal cities are beautiful. I've seen those in meditations on pleiades.

Not to diverge the topic, but this whole crystal cities phenomena really freaks me out. I saw them in a meditation around a year ago without even knowing what the hell it was at first. Upon doing some research, it appears at least 3 other people on this board have seen them too. Maybe this could be another thread. Believe me, I know this all sounds like really upside-down new-agey B.S., but this is a really strange coincidence.

Moving on...

OP:When someone calls you out, and they're right, the best thing to do is admit your mistake and make an effort not to repeat it again. If you want some solid cred, try posting pics/thread topics with a little more substance or potential. I mean that in the most positive way. Honest.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by NightVision]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I saw this thread and moved on with life. Now, it seems I should have paid more attention because I just started a thread where I'm asking if I caught Hoagland in a major blatant lie. You see, he used this image of the landslides in Marius Crater, rotated the image and placed it on his website The Enterprise Mission and calls the landslides "Crystalline Ruins"!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

OP:When someone calls you out, and they're right, the best thing to do is admit your mistake and make an effort not to repeat it again. If you want some solid cred, try posting pics/thread topics with a little more substance or potential. I mean that in the most positive way. Honest.

reply to post by NightVision

Where did somone prove me wrong? I asked people what they thought of the pictures and people have given their thoughts. One of the only things I've argued in this thread is that there is no "up", and I don't think any logical person would disagree with that.

The only other point that I have argued is that just because NASA says a feature is something doesn't make it so. A few months ago people would have thought you were crazy for saying there was water at the Moon's equator. NASA said a meteorite contained fossils of Martian microbes and Clinton even made a speach about it, then they turned around and said it wasn't. NASA says water doesn't flow on Mars, but then they say the Pheonix lander observed snow falling and we have dozens of pictures if not more of water running down the sides of hills and the walls of craters. I could go on and on, but the point is that just because NASA says something doesn't make it correct. Scientists are wrong all the time.

The only person that made a post worth some thought was internos. He did good work and it looks like he's probably correct. When I went to the link he provided it didn't state the name of the crater it was showing, and the longitude was about 300 degrees off the mark, but I'm willing to guess that that is due to something I don't fully understand and that this is the correct location. So thanks internos I'll give you a star because I asked a question and you seem to be the only one who took it seriously and provided real answer (instead of just arguing that it must be a landslide because NASA and Phil Plait[sp?] say it is)

At this point I think they probably are landslides because you can see what look like boulders in the bottom of the "towers". If they are landslides then it seems odd that all the boulders are at the top of the landslides and not at the bottom, but some of the rocks seem to be sticking to the sides of the "towers" none the less. There also seems to be no real shadow created.

So anyway if I'm wrong then I'll admit it, but in this case I'm not. I can't be wrong because I didn't present anything as a fact that wasn't a fact. I just showed a picture and asked what you guys thought. I think some of you guys are too eager to assume that everyone is either a 100% beliver or 100% skeptic. I for one don't really belive either way. I think there are interesting things that deserve to be looked at and examined. Just because somone presents a picture and asks some questions doesn't mean he's wearing a tinfoil hat.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is as dumb a thread as it gets. Before the OP started this thread implying by the title that the photo may show "Crystal Towers" and then behaving as if he couldn't do a simple search at google Images and coming up with an image of Marius Crater as I did, see here:
www.anomalies.net...

It's not a super-duper large photo but it's large enough to reveal that landslides occur all around the rim. This is not the only lunar crater to exhibit this, NASA has tons of similar photos.

It's when you take a mundane image and turn it into something it is not that shows that some people seek publicity for its own sake.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Its a satellite image, have you seen the way towers look from a satellite image? Have a look on google, they dont have a side profile

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
This is as dumb a thread as it gets. Before the OP started this thread implying by the title that the photo may show "Crystal Towers" and then behaving as if he couldn't do a simple search at google Images and coming up with an image of Marius Crater as I did, see here:
www.anomalies.net...

It's not a super-duper large photo but it's large enough to reveal that landslides occur all around the rim. This is not the only lunar crater to exhibit this, NASA has tons of similar photos.

This is the FIRST time that these features are being observed at some submetric resolution, the picture that you have posted is a CRAPPY one, it barely could work as postage stamp, and NO landslides are visible there: since you are claiming that landslides are visible there, please, outline them. Hint: make sure to don't mistake them with the rim of the crater, nor with crater ejecta, nor with other features: just outline LANDSLIDES.
Just to clarify how useless is that picture, this is the area that has been caught on camera by LRO image # M109569228LE:

do you see that red rectangle? Well, that is what we are talking about.
Looking forward to see your "landslides" outlined, in THAT picture. HAve a nice day

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

When I went to the link he provided it didn't state the name of the crater it was showing, and the longitude was about 300 degrees off the mark, but I'm willing to guess that that is due to something I don't fully understand and that this is the correct location.

It is my bad, i apologize:
i forgot to point out how that system works: firstly, i had troubles too.
Basically, whenever it comes to negative values in longitude, it may show a number with a minus before (in this case it should be - 50°81 or a positive value: in order to find the exact value you have to do the following math.
360.00 - 50.81 = 309.19

Basically, -50°81 and 309.19 are indicating the same longitude.

jra

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whattheh
I would love to see this in color. Very cool.

I believe the wide angle camera (WAC) has various infrared and ultraviolet filters for false colour images. I haven't seen any images from that camera yet though.

I wish a billionaire would send some real cameras up there and see what is really up there. This picture is another one of those grainy black and white photos that is not up to par.

In what way is this not from a 'real camera'? What to you defines what's a good and bad camera? Are you also taking into account the environment that the image sensor and all the other electronics have to operate in, as well as other restrictions or limitations of the spacecraft?

I don't think a regular commercial camera would last long enough in space. The electronics would need to be hardened to protect them from radiation as well as other modifications to help remove the heat buildup from the electronics themselves.

Here's some info on the Kodak KLI-5001 image sensor (.pdf file) for the narrow angle camera (NAC), if you want look at the detailed specs.

The Mars orbiter is taking stunning color pictures inches per pixal through mars atmosphere, but we can not get any clear pictures of the moon.

MRO takes images between 25cm to 60cm per pixel and the LRO will generally be around the 50cm range, so they're both quite similar in resolution.

The lack of quality photos alone feeds the conspiracy that something is up there.

Or that some conspiracy theorists lack an understanding of things relating to optics and image sensors.

So you think that orientation is the correct one? As I said before there is no "up". Why did the LRO team rotate it that way? Oh yeah becasue it looks less like glass towers that way.

There is always an 'up' or 'down', but that's all relative to the viewer. What matters here is what's North and what's South, as that isn't relative. What makes you think that 'up' in this image isn't north? Other then that 'looks like crystal towers' when rotated...

I also don't see how it looks like 'crystal towers'. Did you zoom in all the way?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

Man this is getting old. I'll show you guys that there is no up one more time, but I think this will be the last time I go over this. If you guys don't understand after this then there just isn't any hope that you'll understand it.

OK. Here is a picture from the recent LCROSS mission

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/285f6c10bbb1.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is another picture from the same NASA mission from the same area of the Moon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fccfc84ab003.jpg[/atsimg]

Notice anything?

They are rotated 180 degrees of each other!

Both of these pictures were presented this way by NASA. Don't belive me? Well watch this video of the press conference. Between 0:55 and 0:60 you see the same area presented with opposite areas pointing "up"

Infact it's even easier to see that the orientation is 180 degrees different in the OFFICIAL NASA PRESS CONFERENCE. In the vid you can even see the NASA logo facing up in both images so you know that they did it and the slide isn't just upside down or some thing.

So, if the picture isn't valid because it has been rotated, then what do you think of NASA? According to shrike this would be proof of a NASA haox!

So no. Images are not allway presented with North facing up.

Lastly, LRO images are allways posted in a long rectangular strip that runs straight up and down. Now unless you think that all the images taken by LRO are 100% perfectly inline with the longitude of the Moon (and I can assure you they are NOT) then all the images can NOT be aligned with the "top" of the photo pointing North. In other words LRO photos are not posted with North pointing up.

So before anyone wants to bicker about this again please explain why you don't yell hoax when NASA does the same thing.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

So anyway if I'm wrong then I'll admit it, but in this case I'm not. I can't be wrong because I didn't present anything as a fact that wasn't a fact. I just showed a picture and asked what you guys thought.

Incorrect sir. You suggested that these images were of Crystal Towers (see thread title), which they are not. It's this kind of jump-the-gun mentality that is the cancer of ATS. I for one, believe there are artificial structures on the moon, but I'm not shouting Crystal Towers!!! at the top of my lungs. Get it? Don't muddy the waters.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Do you not see the question mark in the title?

I guess by your logic it is wrong to even ask a question.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Do you not see the question mark in the title?

I guess by your logic it is wrong to even ask a question.

Yes, I saw the question mark. However, considering your photo is upside down, the premise of even considering crystal towers like that to exist on the moon seems flawed to me. I meant no offense.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join