It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat 'doing well' after world-first swine flu case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Source

VETS in the US state of Iowa said a household cat had tested positive for swine flu - the first known case in the world of the new pandemic strain spreading to the feline population.
The domestic shorthair, a 13-year-old castrated male, apparently caught A(H1N1) off its owners - two of the three members of the family had previously contracted the deadly virus.

"This is the first cat that we are aware of with the pandemic H1N1,'' assistant professor of veterinarian microbiology Brett Sponseller said.

After ruling out most common causes of respiratory diseases, a team of university and state vets looked at the family history of the owners and guessed swine flu might be the cause.

After five days of tests, their fears were confirmed.

Good. I can't stand cats. Hopefully the next round of the engineered plague can wipe out the feral cats.

Seriously, though... how similar are cats and humans, genetically? I have no idea. Will dogs also be able to catch it?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If it has mutated enough to jump to cats then it may end up affecting even more species.

It could be bad news for species or breeds that are particularly susceptible to respiratory issues.

Could be a few pure breeds that are very vulnerable too.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Ok, wait. how exactly is this possible without some kind of manipulation of the virus going on?

Are we now talking this strain having traits of bird, human, swine AND cat?

Isn't this blatantly impossible to have happen? Does no one else see the problem inherent in this little story?

Holy crap man

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

It's possible because it makes SENSE. If you depopulate the people- what about the leftover pets? Gotta do something with them, too. And so, thin the populations of every major pet (dog, cat and bird) along with the humans.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I resent the fact that you are glad that this is happening to cats, as I am a cat owner, lover, and I have rescued many feral cats. You dont have to like cats or be a cat person, but dont you dare be glad that this is happening to any animal species.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I would like to mention on this thread, remember the case of the worker at a Czech vaccine distributor. The worker did a safety test on the vaccine delivery and all of the weasels or ferrets died.

Than we have a report of a ferret dying in Nebraska.

Now we have a cat developing the flu.

Sorry to say, it sounds intentional to me!

Of course I could be wrong and it could just be a mistake.

[edit on 11/4/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I resent the fact that you are glad that this is happening to cats, as I am a cat owner, lover, and I have rescued many feral cats. You dont have to like cats or be a cat person, but dont you dare be glad that this is happening to any animal species.

Resentment noted.

I'm sure there are some responsible cat owners out there. I'm sure that you keep all of your cats in your own yard in proper fenced in runs.

However, the irresponsible cat owners, particularly the ones who let their 'pets' stray into my yard, using it for a toilet, and using it to kill the native bird life - they don't deserve to own their 'pets'.

I've got no problem with people owning cats, as long they don't come into my yard, forcing me to clean up their mess.

I wouldn't mind an engineered virus that took out all of the stray cats in my region. Ferals need to be controlled.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You know, this could have been a decent thread. You as the OP with in 6 posts took it into a different direction ruining your own thread. I have half a mind to start a new one because there is more information about this that needs to be discussed such as it has "spread" to other pets besides cats. Two ferrets have also died from H1N1. Could we keep this discussion to the virus spreading to our pets instead of our opinion cats?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I can't stand cats. Hopefully the next round of the engineered plague can wipe out the feral cats.

LOL, I love cats, but hate humons, and I hope and pray the next round of whatever can wipe out 89% of the humons on Earth!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I understand your point-of-view, Tezz. m'Bride and I have cat roommates. They play outside. So do we. If I were more of a bird lover than a cat lover, I'd resent the hell out of them. There's no denying it, on my end -- these cats are well fed, and they have a strong instinct to hunt.

How do you tell a cat "goo'boy!" for killing a huge rat, and "bad boy!" for taking down a bannaquit? They don't understand. We love them anyway. They range on our own property, no further; it's a big chunka bush.

So. A cat infected. The question is, was it transmissable within their same species? OR, cross-transmissable to others, say human and canine. [expletive] me. What next? Monkey fever? Hang on, Tezz, I think it's gonna be a wilde ride.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

LOL, I love cats, but hate humons, and I hope and pray the next round of whatever can wipe out 89% of the humons on Earth!

Nice. I really can't add anything to that. It stands alone by itself.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Mod note- Sorry for closing the wrong thread

This one will remain open,

[edit on 7-11-2009 by asala]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

H1N1-infected cat dies in Oregon

A week after a family member in the Oregon household exhibited influenza-like symptoms, one of the four cats in the household showed signs of labored breathing. The cat's owner brought the 10-year-old male to a veterinarian Nov. 4. The cat presented with a 101.7 temperature and a chest radiograph consistent with pneumonia.

Source

Did you hear about the ferret?

Source

I'll update if I hear of anymore.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm glad the cat made it. Perhaps they have good immune system against the flues. Just like the sharks.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Originally posted by tezzajw
I can't stand cats. Hopefully the next round of the engineered plague can wipe out the feral cats.

This statement has upset me. I shall order a fabulous feral fur coat from China to comfort me self.

top topics

join