It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Fermi telescope uncovers proof of space time theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Quote from Daily Mail article:

Racing across the Universe for the last 7.3-billion-years, two highly charged particles have arrived at Nasa's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope within a second of one another. Excited scientists believe this could be evidence of Einstein's space-time theory.

The photons were launched on their marathon during a short gamma-ray burst, an outpouring of radiation likely generated by the collision of two neutron stars, the densest known objects in the Universe.

One of the photons possessed a million times more energy that the other but they arrived at almost the same time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1deb37033ef8.jpg[/atsimg]

"In this illustration, one photon (purple) carries a million times the energy of another (yellow). Some theorists predict travel delays for higher-energy photons. Yet Fermi data failed to show this effect"

Link to full article:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Link to Nasa site:

www.nasa.gov...

Quote:

On May 10, 2009 a pair of gamma-ray photons reached the Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope only 900 milliseconds apart after traveling for 7 billion years. Fermi’s measurement gives us rare experimental evidence that space-time is smooth as Einstein predicted, and has shut the door on several approaches to gravity where space-time is foamy enough to interfere strongly with light.
Credit: NASA/GSFC

(A video is included on the Nasa site).

Another article:

news.stanford.edu...

[edit on 31-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have question though.
Would this go against Everett's model of many worlds or simply parallel universes?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

Er... let's hope someone can give you an answer.

I'll confess here that I know very little of this sort of thing. I saw the article and thought it might interest people here.

I was surprised that no-one else had found it and posted it, so I'm just hoping that it's the right sort of thing to post in this forum.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I seem to recall there was also a more recent case where travel delays for higher energy photons was actually observed, delays of minutes IIRC.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thats pretty damn cool. I think that Einstein had help from extraterrestrials because his theories were way ahead of his time.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
Thats pretty damn cool. I think that Einstein had help from extraterrestrials because his theories were way ahead of his time.

Maybe you should do your research properly. Here's one hint:

www.aulis.com...

If you want to give credit to a true genius read about Tesla. If it wasn't for the greed and corruption of some individuals we would be visiting other stars.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by broli]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
Maybe you should do your research properly. Here's one hint:
www.aulis.com...

Are you saying a typical scholastic attempt at research would guide you to this site?

That's a pretty offensive response to someone's thoughts. Can you offer proof that none of those scientists that Einstein "plagerized" were influenced by anyone else? Of course not.

This is what scientists do, they do research that includes reviews of peers work. Once in awhile, you get someone who can tie it all together - this is not plagiarism. Einstein provided the push needed to move the world forward past the stumbling blocks that were at that point hypothesis at best. Einstein made it law.

I guess you would say the same of Stephen Hawkings since he spent his life reading other's work to aid his understanding of the universe.

Anyone who makes the statement you made in your post doesn't have a good understanding how scientific research works, are anti-semetic, or simply jump on the bandwagon way too often.

If you'd like to do that research yourself, see if you can tie the Special Relativity effects and Lorentz transformations together on your own.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by BuffaloJoe]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have a question for the scientists.

How do you know the particles left at the same moment. couldnt one have come from another event, from another gamme ray burst, and just happened to be travelling beside each other? I am no scientist, so I was just wondering. Seeing one event is not enough to close the book.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuffaloJoe
If you'd like to do that research yourself, see if you can tie the Special Relativity effects and Lorentz transformations together on your own.

Ummm... you'd need the String Theory for that, right? Yep, that's a pun

Let's play nicely,kids.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Breaking a self-imposed silence to say: well spotted, and many thanks for alerting ATS.

'Tired light' is dead--not that any scientifically literate person ever thought it was alive. A sad day for Young Earth Creationists and electric-universe fantasists, a rare red-letter day for rationality on ATS.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Gamma-ray bursts are not very frequent, and rather hard to miss while they're happening.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Maybe you haven't noticed but to date special and general relativity are called THEORIES not laws. And that still doesn't change the fact that Einstein did not include a single reference in his paper.

Your so called science has taken a stray path for the past 100 years and that's nothing to be proud of. Like I said before if you want the prime example of science look up Tesla and read his lectures. Einstein has got nothing on that man yet the only line I can find in my physics books is "the unit of magnetic strength is named after Nikola Tesla."

What I find offensive is the fact that Tesla and most of his big inventions are lost while the atomic bomb is more popular than ever. Tesla knew what we was saying when he didn't agree with Einsteins stolen formulas, because he had the experiments to prove them wrong. But did anyone listen? I guess not.

100 years later and we're still on the stray path.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by broli]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by broli

What were these experiments that proved him wrong? Just asking because if they exist then they can be recreated...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Breaking a self-imposed silence to say: well spotted, and many thanks for alerting ATS.

'Tired light' is dead--not that any scientifically literate person ever thought it was alive. A sad day for Young Earth Creationists and electric-universe fantasists, a rare red-letter day for rationality on ATS.

Good to see you posting Astyanax, ATS is only as rational as the posts that people contribute so thanks for breaking your self-imposed silence to add some rationality to a site that can use some.

I agree tired light never made much sense but it's nice to see some more confirmation nonetheless.

@Broli, note that BuffaloJoe has a point. How can you post a link in the science section that claims the moon photos were faked as a source? Links like that belong in the conspiracy section, not the science section. I don't claim to be a relativity expert, however scientists do study each others' work so the originality of any idea can always be examined, however I think Einstein abandoned the ether concept in special relativity which Poincaré who he supposedly plagiarized from did not abandon the ether concept in his scientific writings.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

I think Einstein may have been way ahead of his time because he used 10% of his brain and the average human only uses like 2-3%

More research into Mapping and unlocking our brains we must do.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I think the findings highlight the fact that gamma ray sources aren't coming from "edge of the universe" explosions.

More on the ridiculous non-sense of gamma rays can be found here.

The amount of baseless assumptions in the OP report are too numerous to list.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
That illustration is little bizarre. Looks like sperm swimmers to me. Amazing to me how a particle with 1M x more energy can arrive at the same time and as the weaker counterparts.... esp when they are coming from 7B light years. I looked on the NASA fermi website, but didn't see anything about it. Very cool thread.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Interesting news, thanks OP.

reply to post by Astyanax

Wondering why this has negative implications for electric universe theories?

Do you believe space is empty?

How do gravitational waves propagate?

Can waves travel in something called a 'vacuum' in the true sense of the word(in which we have never actually observed something that displays our preconceived characteristics of 'vacuum')?

Also, it should be noted that they did not get detected at the same moment, but slightly off.

Anyone interested in more history of this sort of problem/question in physics might enjoy:
michelson-morley experiment
zero point

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I think the findings highlight the fact that gamma ray sources aren't coming from "edge of the universe" explosions.

More on the ridiculous non-sense of gamma rays can be found here.

The amount of baseless assumptions in the OP report are too numerous to list.

;;;;

And I think it neither disproves tired light model, neither supports electric universe. All it does is proving that light essentialy travels with the same speed, no matter the wavelenght, to high accuracy.

top topics

join